Betwixt and between

My leased 170 SE 2 litre 12 plate went back on Tuesday. I get a 140 on Friday and I'm missing being a driver already. Today, for example, I had to travel on something I believe is called a bus, which to my amazement stopped at regular intervals to let other people on.

Seriously, apart from the obvious 170/140 power difference is there anything else I'll have to look out for in, especially in terms of gadgetry? And the man who took the old 'un away gave me a report that included a couple of wheel trim scuffs, two scratches and a paint chip. I've read the fair wear and tear guide but to be honest I'm as wise now as I was before. Is the stuff he mentioned more or less a case of him having to find something for the sake of it, or am I likely to get a hefty repair bill? How fair is fair wear?

I assume that's two years driving you've done? In fairness with alloy wheels and metallic paint how do you realistically avoid one or two scuffs? It would seem a but extreme if it wasn't fair wear.

Is it a FL 140 you're getting? Not a huge difference in spec. Stop/start will be included. Minor tweaks internally with new steering wheel. Re shaped front and rear lights (led on rear and LED DRLs on higher spec models).

If park assist is included it now extends to perpendicular parking as well.

Not long to wait now so !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Guy who took my 1.6 cr S away a couple of weeks ago noted a small dent in one door that I wasn't aware of, several small chips within the tolerance of fair wear and tear, but he did not record the cracked/broken lower front grill ( the one below the bumper) or the two cracks in the "chrome" surround for the grill above the bumper. His problem as these will be spotted on the full presale inspection, but no recorded on his collection sheet. Both bits of damage out with fair wear and tear so chargeable.

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Tapatalk

Guy who took my 1.6 cr S away a couple of weeks ago noted a small dent in one door that I wasn't aware of, several small chips within the tolerance of fair wear and tear, but he did not record the cracked/broken lower front grill ( the one below the bumper) or the two cracks in the "chrome" surround for the grill above the bumper. His problem as these will be spotted on the full presale inspection, but no recorded on his collection sheet. Both bits of damage out with fair wear and tear so chargeable.

Sent from my Hudl HT7S3 using Tapatalk

If he hasn't noticed them, surely you can't be charged?

• Like 1

Your terms usually set it out in detail. I.e. 2cm marks on alloys etc.

But it all depends on the person picking up. Some go over with a microscope, others give it a brief walk around - even from the same company.

There is a guide published as to what is fair wear and tear by the British Vehicle Rental and leasing association (BVRLA). most of its members will use this guide to ascertain what is fair wear and tear. If you look it up on the internet it contains pictures of acceptable and unacceptable damage including the size of acceptable scratches and wheel scuffs. Google BVRLA fair wear and tear.

Link to online copy

http://issuu.com/bfwsn67/docs/fwt_2014_issuu_hitachi?e=2001091/6265927

Edited by andyP11

Well, it 's arrived and very snazzy it looks too in whatever shade of black someone got paid a fortune to think up the name of. The main thing is that there seems no difference between the new one and my 12 plater; maybe a slightly quieter engine and very slightly firmer ride. 170/140 bhp doesn't seem too different and the extra techno-bells & whistles won't get much use. The big bonus is that even running in I'm getting as good fuel economy as I was with a two year old engine, albeit with a boot that isn't yet full of work-related junk. As you can tell, I'm impressed.

Well, it 's arrived and very snazzy it looks too in whatever shade of black someone got paid a fortune to think up the name of. The main thing is that there seems no difference between the new one and my 12 plater; maybe a slightly quieter engine and very slightly firmer ride. 170/140 bhp doesn't seem too different and the extra techno-bells & whistles won't get much use. The big bonus is that even running in I'm getting as good fuel economy as I was with a two year old engine, albeit with a boot that isn't yet full of work-related junk. As you can tell, I'm impressed.

That's great! I think the sound proofing has improved slightly over the pre-FL hence less internal noise intrusion.  The ride might sort itself after a few thousand miles as the suspension settles down but the FL models generally tend to have a slightly firmer ride.  Best of luck with it!