Go pro car mounts etc?

So hopefully getting a go pro hero3 black at the end of the month and just wondering what external car mounts and other mounts people use and can recommend as I know some of you use them for track days.

Cheers.

• Like 1

The stock suction foot mount is good and you can get a tether if it fails.

I prefer to rely on the 3M sticky mounts inside the front and rear screens because a lot of track days don't like suction mounts.

Where do you want to mount it?

I've used the sticky feet on the exteral too, it works well on a numberplate as the glue is easy to clean off.

The suction mount, offical one, is well upto the job joe. Just make sure the surface is clean :)

Only problem is when trying to mount it inside the car. You need a fair few arms to get the right angle which looks a little cumbersome imo. Im going to invest in the backpack frame to make it less bulky and hope it allows more swivel room.

I bought one of these  http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Camera-Clamp-Roll-Bar-Seat-Post-Tripod-Mount-for-Bicycle-Motorcycle-/360727260714?pt=UK_Tripods_Monopods&hash=item53fd052e2a So cheap it didn't matter if it was useless or never turn up, but it came eventually and is pretty good.   Needs a slight mod to make it more stable for Go Pros. 

Pm me if you go for it, I'll explain the mod. 

If anyone is thinking of using this one for DSLR camera, DON'T, the camera is too heavy. I tried and it wobbles too much.

Edited by Soot1e

I dont think I could trust the suction mount. I should explain I will be using it for the long journeys for back and fore car shows to caprure the convoys I go with etc for videos and rolling car shots. My longest drive this year will be 4 hours so in my head I want it very sturdy to take constant 60-70mph winds on motorways. Will then be using at the shows on like a telescopic pole mount which will be nothing special.

The suction mount has been tested on the wings of aeroplanes in excess of 200mph but officially "only" rated to 150mph. Just use a tether (fishing line) just incase mate. Or mount on the inside facing out but glare may be an issue ?

Battery life isnt great when in video mode, approx 2 hours if you are lucky. Though the batteries are small enough to carry a few around with you :D

Yer could just tie some line and loop it around the wing mirror or something just incase. I won't be constant recording just switching on when we are on some quite road to get some good shots of the cars. The black comes with the remote too so can be turned on and off from in the car, also you can get the app to so the passenger will obviously be in control of that to see when some good shots are available.

I just dont know about things that stick on, it will always be in my head it could just fall off. I noticed today in the front wing there are the holes that the front mud flaps bolt to, I could easily make a braket and bolt it to that and unbolt when parked up easy enough. Will make for some good angles down low too.

The sticky pads are strong.

I've had them on the outside of my GT-R at Combe and have touched 140mph or so...

Not lost anything yet! :D

You can add a tether too, shut in the window or something until you are feeling confident.

The genuine Go pro stickies are good. Some Westfield enthusiasts stick them on the roll/crash bar and they are nice and stable.

You won't loose a genuine stick on gopro mount, there mega strong.

I stuck 1 to the inside of my roof 18 months ago, managed to get it slightly in the wrong place (I didn't even press down on it to seal it, just literally touched it on the metal) and I have not been able to remove it since lol, if I try too hard it will just dent the roof panel.

I have 1 stuck to the inside of my windscreen, which holds my iPhone 5, I also have 1 stuck to the rear window which held my old iPhone 4s too (with modified gopro mounts stuck to the phone cases) and they have not fallen off yet, and weigh alot more than a gopro does.

I've just stick one on the side of my car, to get a video of the front wheel while on track at Brands Hatch tomorrow.

Consider it testing on your behalf. :D

It's rigid, heaven knows how I'm going to get it off!

GoPro hanging off it is nothing by the looks of it.

• Like 1

I've just stick one on the side of my car, to get a video of the front wheel which on track at Brands Hatch tomorrow.

Consider it testing on your behalf. :D

It's rigid, heaven knows how I'm going to get it off!

GoPro hanging off it is nothing by the looks of it.

You will need a new panel before that comes off

• Like 1

That's it I don't want something I can't get off. So an official go pro sucker mount may be an option but still unsure, I'm sure I could make a nice sturdy mount off the inner wing.

That's why I suggested on the rear door glass. :)

They peel off the glass fine, you just pull the GoPro unit at an angle to raise an edge of the sticky foot and... pop!

I wonder if using a small piece of something like venture shield then using the sticky mounts on that would be worth a try, if worried about removal should make it easy and risk free? I was sceptical about the small 3M pad on the sticky mounts, so on helmet I used some para cord as a tether just in case. Was no need though, 165mph was the max without fear of the drag from the stupid bulky shape of the gopro snapping my neck. 

I would be nervous of using suction mount on car with a tether as in my mind 'if' it came off it is going to hit the car with some force being as it has no choice, but I would opt for that back up rather than the worry of it hitting another car etc (could be really messy insurance wise would they cover an externally mounted camera causing damage or an accident, hell no). But they do seem to be used widely by television people and even on the likes of Top Gear in this way, the stock suction one is a hell of a strong seal when used correctly!