New lock for removable towbar

Hi,

I just bought a used Superb Estate (very happy!).  Was expecting to need to fit a towbar but even more happy when I found there was already the fixings for a removable towball hidden under the bumper and the towball was in with the spare wheel in the boot.

However, the towball is locked and I don't have the key.

My local dealer has quoted only a few quid to get a new key set and barrel, but I'm wondering how hard it would be to replace.

Surely it can't be too easy to remove the old barrel, otherwise it wouldn't be very secure?

Has anyone had experience of this?

Thanks,

- Pat

I got a new hitch on my car in the past couple of weeks. I also have a 2009 superb with a hitch that was fitted in 09, and both the keys are the same. It may be worth your while asking around to see if there are any skoda owners with a detatchable hitch and asking if you can try their key. If it works try to get it copied.

I have had this problem twice. Once on a Octavia that came with a factory fitted towbar which didn't come with a key when I bought it. It was attached to the car and couldn't take it off.

The second time I had a dealer fitted towbar on my Superb. Had the keys and both of them we're attached on a cheap key ring to one of the keys. This was only for a very short period as I managed to lose them whilst the towbar was fitted to the car.

To resolve the problem on The Octy I had a locksmith drill the lock out and never replaced it. On the Superb I was able to buy a replacement lock from the dealer and prise out the old lock. It did make a mess of the lock and the surround of the lock so if I was going to do it again I would take it to a lock smith who should be able drill out and fit a new barrel.

I tried the new key in the lock and it wouldn't work for me.

• 2 weeks later...

So, the dealer ordered the new lock barrel, but then decided rather than make a mess by drilling out the old one he'd give it to their tame locksmith to sort out.

The locksmith managed to create a new set of keys for the old lock instead - how do they do that?

Anyway, neither dealer or locksmith has charged me for any of this, result!