Oil check

I was surprised to be handed a quart of engine oil at my routine service today.  I was told it was for my weekly oil checks.

I have had quite a few new cars but I have never before been told to do this. 

Are weekly checks necessary on cars that do only about 6000 miles a year?

No, not really.

Skoda are covering their backs by encouraging you to keep on top of the basic checks we should all do.

Once every month or two should be fine, along with screen wash, brake fluid, coolant and tyre pressures.

Once every month or two should be fine, along with screen wash, brake fluid, coolant and tyre pressures.

Really?

I've always done these weekly.

Probably habit from many years of motoring when oil and coolant leaks and consumption were normal.

Only use oil that has VW 507.00 on the bottle. Modern diesels are fitted with DPF's (Diesel Particulate Filters) which require the long life / low ash fully synthetic oil - regardless of whether you are on fixed or variable service regimes.

VW 507.00 is 5w-30.

I was surprised to be handed a quart of engine oil at my routine service today.  I was told it was for my weekly oil checks.

I have had quite a few new cars but I have never before been told to do this. 

Are weekly checks necessary on cars that do only about 6000 miles a year?

Have you never read the owners manual in your new cars?