Middle Rear Seat - Folding

Zeanie

Hello All,

I had a job today to do for my mother-in-law and that was to pick up a bed and delivery it to her from her friends house.

So I dropped the rear seats flat and then folded them up into their upright position.

The outer seats folded fine and went upright easily, however the middle seat would not fold upright  all the way, therefore making the rear load space 3 inches smaller, also it would not stay up and kept falling down every time you let go.

Do the rear seats all line up when in the vertical position or is the middle out.

Read the manual and it said nothing about the middle apart from remove the hear rest (which I had done as with the head rest in situ it hits the centre console when trying to fold up)

Edited by Zeanie

It's in the manual somewhere that the centre seat needs to be compressed  slightly further than the other two to clear the centre console. Once it's "flat" you can apply a little pressure whilst moving the lever again and it will go down a little further.

Then it should fold forward and can be hooked on to the front headrests the same as the other two seats

Zeanie,

Had Similar problem recently, have you tried to reset middle seat from the rear, it fixed my problem.

Also Skoda dealer advised it  was the first time they had heard of it, but also suggested removing the affending seat all alltogether, then re-installing.

I have tried but the middle seat  does not seem to lock into the that 2nd click when folding flat.

I'll try again tomorrow when it is light,

Thanks so far

... the middle seat  does not seem to lock into the that 2nd click when folding flat.

Definitely works on mine.  Try giving it some avoirdupois ie kneel on it.  (Make sure you keep the seat belt buckles out of the way when you fold the rear seat backs down, otherwise you end up with seat-belt-buckle-shaped dents in your upholstery.  This is particularly to be avoided if you have the leather seats.)

The other alternative is to take all the rear seats out before you leave home.

I have had a chance to have a good look and I can see the problem.

The seat fold flat and locks, then you can move it flatter until it locks for the second time.

Upon flipping the middle seat up it does not go to the same point as the outers. The reason I thought was it might be hitting the central console but that is not the case. What is happening is underneath the seat at the front are to little support legs, and when flipping up into a vertical position they are touching the bodywork underneath the seat thus not allowing it to be in the same vertical position as the outers. Pushing it a bit more firmly just shows the seat bracket starting to flex but the legs stop the seat going any further forward.

I found that, as is illustrated in pic B above, the centre seat does not fold as far forward as the outer two, however much you press it in.

Oh, never mind. I thought i must of been me being dumb thinking that the seats would all flip up and be the same.

Skoda - Simply Clever

I found that, as is illustrated in pic B above, the centre seat does not fold as far forward as the outer two, however much you press it in.

This is exactly as I have found on both my current and previous Yeti. However it is only proud of the other seats by a relatively small amount if you remove the headrest and fold the centre backrest once then a second time. If you have got it right you shouldn't be able to get your hand between the the top of the backrest and the seat itself. If you only fold it once there will be a gap - the backrest will not be touching the seat.

You are supposed to undo the clips under the middle seat when it is lifted up at an angleand hitting the centre console then lift the seat off its mounting and stand it upright in line with the other seats. That is why it has little feet. 

There were long discussions regarding this about 4 years ago

This avoids having to remove the centre headrest if you have one fitted.

Certainly on my elegance no amount of squashing the seat back will close it enough to clear the centre console, even with the headrest removed. Much easier to unlock the seat, lift it slightly and then stand it in line with the others. It will not clip back onto its mountings in this position, but is held in place with the elastic cord to a front seat headrest.

• Like 1

I haven't much experience with the rear seats in the car, so what stops the middle seat from flailing around in a spin or roll frinstance?

I had a good look today and with a small modification the middle seat now sits upright and in the same position as the outer seats, thus giving then same load space.

The modification is simple. If you look under the seat cushion you will see that each seat has 2 little legs that poke out. The are designed to support the seat moving further forward when in a vertical position. The outer seats legs are metal with a plastic cap whereas the middle seat the legs have the same leg with plastic cap but they have an additional small rubber covering. They come off easily and allows the middle seat to sit in line with the outer seats. Not sure why it it is just the middle seat to have the rubber covering.

Anyway issue not solved.

I had a good look today and with a small modification the middle seat now sits upright and in the same position as the outer seats, thus giving then same load space.

The modification is simple. If you look under the seat cushion you will see that each seat has 2 little legs that poke out. The are designed to support the seat moving further forward when in a vertical position. The outer seats legs are metal with a plastic cap whereas the middle seat the legs have the same leg with plastic cap but they have an additional small rubber covering. They come off easily and allows the middle seat to sit in line with the outer seats. Not sure why it it is just the middle seat to have the rubber covering.

Anyway issue not solved.

I tied this today and it works just fine - thanks for the tip. I didn't fancy the idea of having to unlock and lift the seat of its mount; much better to have it fold forward on the rail like the others, as you would expect!

Try removing the headrest from the middle seat 'cos otherwise in interferes with the centre console if the lid is pushed right to the back. That works for me ok.