Fabia 1.4MPI oil cap

this may be a stupid question, but is it normal for the oil cap on the MPI not to make any contact with the engine?  The cap is in position in the engone cover, but when the engine cover's on there seems to be a gap between the oil filler cap and the engine block?

this may be a stupid question, but is it normal for the oil cap on the MPI not to make any contact with the engine?  The cap is in position in the engone cover, but when the engine cover's on there seems to be a gap between the oil filler cap and the engine block?

Yes, it's normal. The oil cap has a rubber seal which seals against the plastic engine cover and the engine cover has another seal that seals against the rocker cover oil filler hole.

I just took that silly plastic engine cover off and put the cap on that is on the underside of it.

Same here. It's only there to look pretty and is a pain in the arse.

SS858024.jpg

thanks again for the responses, the reserve oil cap is also missing, I've ordered the seals from the web, hopefully I'll be sorted in the next day or so.

@TMB: Do you have a part number for that reserve oil cap ?

@mbconn - In my case, even after I fitted that 2 missing rings it is still spitting oil from when driving at 3000rpm or higher.

Before fitting that rings, I was getting a little bit of oil steam in the engine bay when it was hot and my water hoses got oily, with a sticky yellow-ish cover on them. It's better now, I get no more oil steam, but the engine cover still has some oil marks on it, downstream the oil cap.

Well, I should not complain, I wasn't forced to fill it up, because after about 7000km(last oil change) the oil dipper rod is showing the same level, I didn't have a significant oil leak/consumption, but I like my engine to be clean.