Charging iPhone

Will it charge any phone? I know my Samsung S3 was very fussy on what cable it uses and would not charge on certain ones. My Nexus 5 needs 1.5 to charge properly and I'm sure the iPhone is the same.

On Android, when plugged in, you can check the battery info and it will tell you whether it's charging on a USB connection, or what it thinks is an AC connection, does apple have similar?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

Apparently it can charge Android devices, but I'm not going to switch phones for this. 

Skoda called back today and backtracked on their assertion it should charge an iPhone, even though it says otherwise in the brochure. I find it astonishing they would sell a car that could not charge an iPhone. Wow.

I can even use the firmware upload USB port on my ten year old satelite TV box to charge my phone, but a new car will not support it. Poor form.

@Wiggos, you are talking about completely different items manufactured by completely different companies for completely different purposes. It's not the same thing as a Skoda technician saying the USB port from the Swing system does something else than what the Amundsen/Columbus one does.

I don't disagree - the point I was making was that 'standard' doesn't mean 'always does the same thing'.  And there's no guarantee that the USB port on the Swing is the same part as the USB on the Bolero / Amundsen / Columbus (I'm not saying it isn't, but it's possible it might not be).