Road surface 'dressing'

Mr Ree

Moray council is terrible for this, they also have a bad habit of doing it the day before its due to rain so the road just becomes loose gravel until enough cars have flung enough rocks to unvail the underlying road surface.. Thus making the whole practice pointless..

I parked up on a street in Lossiemouth for 5 mins after it had recently been resurfaced, set off again and it felt like the wheel was falling off so I pulled over to find a hand sized clump of tar and stones stuck to my tyre, hardly a safe practice in my mind.. 

They've just made the second lane longer on my route from work so you have more road to overtake, and the extended bit is absolutely covered in pebbles and crap, so every time somebody overtakes and doesn't get back in before the "new" stretch, all the cars on the left and right get blasted with stones

Now we're getting a plethora of road closures due to 'white lining' of the dressing'd roads.  :wall:

I've already noticed 3 sunken man hole covers with yellow paint surrounding them on a freshly dressed road near here.

That'll probably be more chaos due shortly then to do the job they should have done in the first place!  :devil:

Edited by Mr Ree

• 2 weeks later...

Well, it seems Redditch BC are really going for it before the summer hols kick in. There are miles and miles of surface dressing works appearing all over the area.  I've never known it done so intensively across a region.

It has to be said that they are finally tackling roads that were in serious need of attention though, and they seem to be getting better at the process, as the potholes and damaged tarmac they are covering actually seem to be getting evened out, not just coated.

I still hate it though.

It looks like they are doing the Bromsgrove highway as well - I'll be avoiding that for a while until I can see how much loose grit there is.

Talking of quality roadworks, by me there was a manhole cover that was starting to collapse - there was a big gap all the way round the edge and the whole thing was sinking below the road surface. Someone came along and marked it for repair, then a week later they came out and "fixed" it by covering the whole thing in a fresh layer of tarmac! I hope nobody ever needs to use that again, as it's completely buried.

It looks like they are doing the Bromsgrove highway as well - I'll be avoiding that for a while until I can see how much loose grit there is.

Talking of quality roadworks, by me there was a manhole cover that was starting to collapse - there was a big gap all the way round the edge and the whole thing was sinking below the road surface. Someone came along and marked it for repair, then a week later they came out and "fixed" it by covering the whole thing in a fresh layer of tarmac! I hope nobody ever needs to use that again, as it's completely buried.

Yeah, the 448 is going to be a mess for a few weeks. Westbound carriageway is being done at the moment, but 20mph signs are up on the other side too, ready for them to start wrecking it.  Need to find another way across to Bromsgrove.

On the other hand, the tarmac being laid on the 441 is pretty awesome. they're putting down big chunks of it each night and it's a great surface.  About time it was done right.

As for the manhole :D  :D   That's fantastic.

Guaranteed there'll be temporary lights up within a month or two when someone realises they need access and they have to break out the pneumatic tools.

Edited by Maieth

I've never been a fan of this half arpsed resurfacing but commuting as a cyclist now I despise the stuff. Every time I encounter the surface its just smattered over pot holes and drains have been butchered. Our road was dressed well I've 12 months ago now but was never swept, still covered in loose grit. Down right dangerous for some road users if not all.

I've never been a fan of this half arpsed resurfacing but commuting as a cyclist now I despise the stuff. Every time I encounter the surface its just smattered over pot holes and drains have been butchered. Our road was dressed well I've 12 months ago now but was never swept, still covered in loose grit. Down right dangerous for some road users if not all.

I used to cycle everywhere and around my area this has always been the method of surfacing most roads. When cars pass at speed on these roads especially when still loose it's so dangerous the spray for a cyclist! I bet some have been blinded etc. I do know of a good few one vehicle only deaths locally immediately following resurfacing :( 

There was a fad of this stupidity here around eighteen months ago but seems to have died a death. They appear to have grown weary of stamping grit into potholes or throwing grit onto tar and have finally accepted that roads like this..

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.806545,-2.111119,3a,75y,58.14h,75.54t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1ss3FEEvAK5l3Ss7y9X8zTDg!2e0

(its even worse than it looks) .. actually need bloody resurfacing.

it was nice how they bodged this though, was actually worse driving over the repairs rather than going through the potholes they had tried to fix!

it was nice how they bodged this though, was actually worse driving over the repairs rather than going through the potholes they had tried to fix!

Too right. Dismayed also to find that they've just made a start on doing this on the Eccleshall Road up to junction14. Ffs.

On N.Wales, they've got a special 'pot hole filling machine', and it seems to work.

Had to sit behind one on a narrow country lane near where i go for a walk, and it's seemingly done the trick.

2 years on, and the pot hole concerned still hasn't re-appeared.

I hadn't considered drainage. When half the country is having serious trouble with roads that can't shed water fast enough through the prolonged, heavy rain like we had last summer and through the winter, I can't imagine it's helping much to have buckets of tar-coated gravel swept down them.