Lower 'C' post protectors?

2006 Octavia Classic, couple of places the clearcoat lacquer is peeling. One of these places is NSR lower sill area (see photo), where there has obviously been a previous repair.

I notice on OSR there is what I can only describe as a transparent(?) cover to protect the area in front of the rear wheel from stone chips etc and this is missing from the NSR.

Is it a replacement part? I've contacted ChipsAway for a quote on the repair.

Can't see the photo, but the transparent cover you refer to at the front end of the rar wheel arch would have been there originally so when the repair was done whoever did it didn't replace it. I've not see this mentioned anywhere else, but you should be able to get a replacement from your dealer which chipsaway would then be able to fit once they'd resprayed it for you- I'd get them to fit it otherwise you could end up ruining your new paint if you did it yourdelf and got it wrong.

I'm sure you could purchase some clear adhesive plastic sheet from a craft or diy store that would be much cheaper.

Simply make a template from the other side, like brass rubbing, then flip it onto plastic sheet for mirror image cutout.

I'm sure you could purchase some clear adhesive plastic sheet from a craft or diy store that would be much cheaper.

Simply make a template from the other side, like brass rubbing, then flip it onto plastic sheet for mirror image cutout.

Considering an OEM one is only £14 is it really worth DIYing it??

Obviously the material would have to be up to the job so I wasn't suggesting a poor substitute.

Just throwing my idea in the pot, some folks like to improvise and diy... like the kind of person who refills printer cartridges or changes their own wheel with a flat tyre rather than call a rescue service.

DIY wouldn't be a bad should as you could cover a bit more area as required, if you do want to I'd recommend getting some helicopter tape rather than something from a craft store. 

You can buy it by the meter and is great for protecting paint - I use it on mountain bike frames to protect from dirt/rocks etc plus cables rubbing and it does a really good job. I just replaces it every year or so but on a car I'd imagine it'd be more 'fit and forget' as it wouldn't take anywhere near the same punishment.

Edited by Jamesfts

re helicopter tape

Yes I've used it on actual helicopters to protect aluminium tail rotor driveshaft covers from vibration chaffing.

Never thought to mention it as I've never seen it outside of the hangar.

re helicopter tape

Yes I've used it on actual helicopters to protect aluminium tail rotor driveshaft covers from vibration chaffing.

Never thought to mention it as I've never seen it outside of the hangar.

It quite popular in the mountain biking world to prevent cables/hose rubbing through frames.  I use it on my bikes.