Superb III - Dual Boot

While infomation is scarce and I didn't see a topic or section fo the upcoming Superb III out in 2015, I wanted to find out if the comments on various websits about the lack of a dual boot option were true or likely. For me, that's what sets the Superb apart and is a real USP. If they did away with it due to manufacturing expense as is reported, then I'd imagine that would take the shine off what is already a very popular car and would make me think twice about getting on a waiting list. The guy in the showroom in Reading seemed to think that it would stay, but I doubt he is any more informed than I am. Any thoughts?

http://www.germancarforum.com/community/threads/next-generation-skoda-superb.50079/

and

http://indianautosblog.com/2014/01/2016-skoda-superb-details-110924

Edited by Auberne

I've seen this on several websites including some of the more popular auto magazine sites.  They are citing cost and weight as the reason for dropping.  If its for cost reasons I wouldn't mind doing without some another option (e.g. the rear heated seats) in favour of the split boot.  I bet they will spend even more money developing the park assist system etc on the next model - something that most of us rarely use.  Not a good move IMO and like you say it would take the shine off the model and they would certainly lose some customers.

It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me personally as I didn't actually buy it for the space (I'm usually the only one in the car and its more for comfort) but it is a very practicable mechanism and I do find it very useful.  A step backwards from the 'Simply Clever' slogan perhaps?    

I have a part time job as a coourier, delivering from 15 - 30 addresses a day so am canstantly opening and closing the boot.

I've had an Octavia hatchback, a Superb Mk 1 saloon and currently a Superb Mk II twindoor.

The most useless option was the saloon boot on the Mk 1 (I struggled to load 2 sets of golf clubs / trolleys through the boot lid), the most useful being the hatchback.

The twindoor option is frankly a gimmick - as far as I can see it makes no improvement to the functionality of the vehicle and simply adds weight and complexity.

If it disappeared and was replaced with a standard hatchback I would actually welcome it, although would appreciate a mechanically assisted tailgate as per that fitted to the combi's

• Like 1

I agree with BJM.

The real bonus of the Superb is that it is a very large family hatchback that looks like a saloon.

As a result you get the benefits of both, a big boot that is useable as you can access it easily together with the more desirable saloon profile.

So many competitors are saloon only which is a waste of time. A big boot but no way of using it as large objects won't fit through the small opening.

If the Superb ended up being a hatchback only and not a Twindoor I wouldn't lose any sleep.

One element I might miss however is the non-handed opening of the saloon lid, using the middle button on the remote. If they could recreate this on a hatchback sized lid then that would be great.

Given that the estate lid has to be electronically operated I'm guessing the size and weight of the hatchback lid is too great for it to be opened automatically using tensioned springs alone.

So, take the cost of the Twindoor mechanism and put that money into an electronically operated hatchback only!

if it was a hatch it wouldn't be too bad but from what I've read over the past few months they appear to be opting for a saloon only version so a slightly retrograde step in terms of practicality .  Still this is all speculative at this stage so we'll have to wait and see

When purchasing my Superb, I looked at a lot of much more expensive cars. One of the reasons I chose the Superb in the end was that I didn't want an estate car, but I did want a bigger car with easy access to the boot.  Sadly no manufacturers make a large car with a hatch. You only have the choice of a saloon or an estate car.  The twin door satisfied that need. If the new MK111 Superb does not have either a hatch or a twin door then as far as I am concerned there will be nothing special about it and it will come a lot further down the list when set against other more desireable saloon cars.

• Like 2

if it was a hatch it wouldn't be too bad but from what I've read over the past few months they appear to be opting for a saloon only version so a slightly retrograde step in terms of practicality.

If that turns out to be true that would be a very big mistake.

• Like 2

Personally, I'm a big fan of the Twindoor arrangement and use it all the time.  Most of my boot is taken up with work stuff that I wouldn't necessarily want on display each time I have to retrieve something.  The Twindoor gives me hatch practicality with saloon 'discretion' when needed.  I will be sad to see this feature gone.

Personally, I'm a big fan of the Twindoor arrangement and use it all the time.  Most of my boot is taken up with work stuff that I wouldn't necessarily want on display each time I have to retrieve something.  The Twindoor gives me hatch practicality with saloon 'discretion' when needed.  I will be sad to see this feature gone.

Exactly the same here, its a feature that i like but I fear it will disappear in the next version on cost grounds.

At least it looks nicer this time around,

MK1 was a classy looker and felt quality inside,

MK2 lost that boss look and inside never floated my boat,

MK3 if it looks like the picture is rounded out nicely with the latest gen face on it which I quite like, I did like the MK2 nose but the whole thing fell apart from the B pillar backwards imo,

And please don't think I'm having a go, it's just my observation, the estate looks fine, the saloon is a mutt to look at though even with the facelift, as a car I'm sure the MK2 does all the MK1 did, I just like a big car to have that road presence that cars from a MK1/MK2 Ford Granada to a VW Phaeton did and do.

So a little bit wider and a little bit shorter this time I reckon, it doesn't need as much leg in the back as it currently has, it just encourages slouching as I got sick and tired of finding out in my MK1 when picking up passengers.