Engine light on, not the MAP Sensor

Hi all

Jason kindly ran his diagnostics on my car because the engine light is on, both when I turn the ignition on, and after starting the engine. The MAP Sensor (Manifold Absolute Pressure) was suspected so I bought a new one and replaced it. But no luck, the engine light is still on and the car drives like there's no turbo.

In case it helps anyone, here's how I changed the MAP Sensor. In return I'd appreciate suggestions on what else could cause this. ;)

Start by opening the bonnet - dah.

IMAG5286.jpg

Two poppers hold the cover in place, front left and on the right as you look at it from the front of the car:

IMAG5287.jpg

Here it is attached to the hose in the middle of the photo:

IMAG5289.jpg

Two Phillips screws secure the sensor to the hose. These are easily removed.

IMAG5290.jpg

Disconnect the cable using a flat screwdriver to open the clip.

Connect the new sensor and push it into the hose.

Now it's just a case of doing the same steps as above in reverse order. It's a quick and easy job. Sadly it didn't fix my problem.

Any suggestions? Shall I post my VCDS diagnostic errors for those of you who understand them?

I had an issue which caused the car to go into limp mode with eml and glow plug light on and reported as MAP sensor unexpected reading (or something similar) which turned out to be a wire that runs along the front of the engine from under the air box to join the loom front left of the engine bay. Basically when stuffing rags around the fuel filter housing to stop spilt diesel when changing the fuel filtering had disturbed a weak connection at this point.

My suggestion therefore is check the wiring to/from the MAP

• Like 1

I had an issue which caused the car to go into limp mode with eml and glow plug light on and reported as MAP sensor unexpected reading (or something similar) which turned out to be a wire that runs along the front of the engine from under the air box to join the loom front left of the engine bay. Basically when stuffing rags around the fuel filter housing to stop spilt diesel when changing the fuel filtering had disturbed a weak connection at this point.

My suggestion therefore is check the wiring to/from the MAP

As far as I can tell, the few wires from the MAP sensor are bundled with other wires, then more wires, eventually into a black plastic hose that reminds me of a shower hose, which itself vanishes into the depths below some large units on the front right of the engine area.

Are there any guides on how to access these wires and check their connection to the loom? Where is the loom?

Me: Clueless but learning by the day.

Well, the garage fixed it. The problem was some wires had been in contact with the starter motor and had to be fixed and rerouted away from the starter motor. They also replaced 3/4 glow plugs. The 4th is stuck so they'll try again tomorrow when the stuff they put on it might have helped loosen it enough to replace. (It's going in again for a service because these guys seem to know what they're doing.)

The same people had my car again to service it. They replaced the 4th glow plug and the plug and wire to the brake sensor to switch the brake disc warning light, also replaced a headlamp and washed it as well. I'm pretty chuffed to have my car back in full working order and serviced for less than I dreaded it might cost just to fix that ruddy EML!  :devil:   :D