chip tuning box.. dtuk or tdi chiptuning? any help pls :-S

I have a mk2 octy vrs tdi dsg and want to give some more power. Can anyone help me to choose supplier? I don't know why but personally I would go for tdi chiptuning based in Chelmsford but friend of mine bought 3 boxes from dtuk and he is very happy and his suggestion is dtuk. There is small difference in bhp but quite a lot different torque. Also is it better to let them do it or install it on my own?

Appreciate any comment..

Do those chips not just over-fuel the engine?

The ebay ones for a couple of quid do. These are a little bit mor sophisticated than that.

I have a dtuk box and can certainly feel the difference with it on, been running it about a year with no issues.

i can also vouch for DTUK. andrew there is very helpful. i went for the crd-t tuning box (listed as stage 2 on their site) which adjusts fuel as well as boost and it certainly makes a difference. i want to get it RR'd soon.

andy

i can also vouch for DTUK. andrew there is very helpful. i went for the crd-t tuning box (listed as stage 2 on their site) which adjusts fuel as well as boost and it certainly makes a difference. i want to get it RR'd soon.

andy

+1

I have the latest dtuk box on a 2012 tdi vrs dsg (18000 miles) the one that mods both fuelling and boost. Previously used the tdi-tuning box (20000 miles) that just controls fuelling. Both are great for the money and easy to DIY. The newer dtuk box is a major upgrade and takes the performance to another level though tdi-tuning also offer a similar box now. I can swap it out in 10 minutes too. Pick the right insurer and less than £100 loading.

DSG

Some concerns over life of box as on higher settings the performance increase is huge I.e. easy wheelspin in 3rd at 1600rpm in manual mode and in 4th on less than smooth tarmac. Changes can be quite jerky on small throttle positions definitely better (not than standard) when pressing on. The main issue is that the gearbox is confused in D changing up a touch too early unless you give it plenty of throttle but then you could be drving too aggressively for the conditions. Wheras if you switch to S it changes like i always wished it had done from the factory but with circa 220hp and 330lbs torque! You can always 'turn down' the tuning to smooth out the changes but it is so damned addictive i just leave it near its Max.

Fuel

Takes a big hit if you use the extra performance I.e. high 40s plays low 30s before and after box. Take it easy though and they are broadly similar although the trips claims get more inaccurate as you turn the box up e.g. 70+ mpg claimed at average 70mph journey corrects to low 50s brim to brim.

DPF

No issues that i am aware of.

Conclusion

Favour the dtuk box although not tried the latest tdi-tuning version and making adjustments is a bit trickier on the dtuk. Most importantly i hate driving without the box (or a box) and that is more about the improved throttle response than outright performance as on road you dont get to use 220/330 often accept when overtaking when it is more than helpful.

So... I have installed chip box yesterday and I can see the difference but I thought I will got more boost. There is the same timing of torque and power and everything goes nice and smooth. On 1st, 2nd and third gear tyres spinning on dry tarmac. Dsg has lot to do to keep changing gears. On the sport mode it's just going like a hell :) there are 4 or 5 settings of sharpness of extra power so I will try them all and choose best one. All together 5+ and huge smile on my face...

• Like 1

I have gradually moved up to 4+3 expecting the dreaded yellow fault light but not for 2500 miles, although the increase is negligible compared to change to +1 and +2. Makes me wonder if the dsg equipped car can limit torque as some suggest, if so it would be before the box I.e. ecu controlled so maybe just i have reached the limit no more duel can be injected above a certain level

I am so amazed! I took my octy to weymouth for a family trip on weekend. Fully loaded 4 adults 1 child average speed 70-80mph and average fuel consumption after trip is 57mpg!!! Before chiptuning was around 45mpg... That dtuk box is just fabulous... Fully recommend.. :)

I am so amazed! I took my octy to weymouth for a family trip on weekend. Fully loaded 4 adults 1 child average speed 70-80mph and average fuel consumption after trip is 57mpg!!! Before chiptuning was around 45mpg... That dtuk box is just fabulous... Fully recommend.. :)

Are you sure?

Is that figure just from the cars computer? The one downside of the dtuk box is that it makes the computer even more inaccurate than normal. Mine reads higher when in reality consumption is basically the same.

That figure is from computer. I will take fuel on my way back this evening and then calculate how much diesel exactly took for the whole trip. I will let you know guys..

works out around 49mpg. still not a bad figure considering the load and the speeds going. i recently got 56mpg on a tank of fuel on a round trip to blackpool and back (actual figure) but my computer was reading 63mpg! so just a bit out haha!