Interesting mpg various fuels vrs petrol

Since April been trying various fuels

Found following this on fill to fill tanks across mixture short journeys

Sainsbury super 30 mpg one tank

Tesco momentum 3 tanks equalled 32.44,33.72 and 32.20 mpg

Changed to new vpower nitro 3 tanks equalled 35.02, 36.24 and 35.01 mpg

Seems to be worth extra, feels better too.

In each case was the tank totally empty before you filled? So there was no chance of cross-contampination of fuels?

Did you complete the same journey on each of the tanks of fuel? So there was a common mixture of slow back roads, motorways, hills etc across all tests?

Were the temperatures and conditions similar? So any cooler days when fuel economy could be altered? Any rainy days over the tests?

Unless these were controlled tests you're reporting "within tollerance" of there really not being much if any difference between the fuels - logically I'd go for the cheapest based on those results.

Each time brim to brim fills ie always wait until light on and fill until click and use iPhone app yo record mileage and work mpg out.

Each fill approximately two weeks apart and similar journeys, do short trips to work, eg 4 x 3miles per day plus longer a road trips to van twice a month 100 miles a time.. I'd say very similar journeys over past couple months.. Agree weather been different although would say only last few weeks with vpower have I had air con on all time too

I also don't believe any one can do the tests as u say but I've given real world findings which manufactures/ scientists can't do.. I've not said u must get vpower just given facts as I've found...

To be honest, this test is of limited value as you conducted your trial from April to June.....just as the weather warms up steadily. You could easily put these gains down to the warmer temperatures. 

I track my fuel consumption permanently via an app every time I fill up, and in the summer mpg is at least 10% higher than it is in the winter. 

To get an accurate comparison of the different fuels, I'd suggest you run 95 Octane fuel from now for the next 2,000 miles while noting the mpg......then run 98 Octane fuel for 2,000 miles and compare the mpg. Hopefully you'd cover enough miles to get this done over the rest of the summer when the temperatures are broadly similar and your results should be a bit more representative. 

Edited by booke23

I always use the app all year round and can say yes in winter only ever got late 20's on normal fuel, only decided to try super lately and seen improvement. I do know summer better but looking back at last years fills only in 33mpg's never this high but as said only my view, if continue to get similar feedback I'll remove post only passing on what I've found

I always use the app all year round and can say yes in winter only ever got late 20's on normal fuel, only decided to try super lately and seen improvement. I do know summer better but looking back at last years fills only in 33mpg's never this high but as said only my view, if continue to get similar feedback I'll remove post only passing on what I've found

Ah, ok....your original post gave the impression that this is the first time you have monitored your mpg....the fact that you have data going back over a year changes things. Your results would seem to indicate a real terms improvement in mpg.   

Edited by booke23