Goodbye 2.0 Diesel, hello 1.4 Petrol

Hi all,

..update re recent purchase...after about 12 months of looking to replace 2005 diesel I gave up looking for another diesel, mainly due to concerns over lower annual mileage and DPF problems. Sad to see the old Octy go as it had great performance, (particularly when towing), but the old girl was starting to fall apart and was costing more each year....(.... bit like the OH....ha ha), Finally purchased a 3 yr old 1.4Tsi Petrol..(could ot find many problems reported with these). So far I have been well impressed. For most driving the performance feels not far off the old diesel, but the engine is oh so quite, (...keep thinking its stalled at traffic lights). Just completed first "full tank" fill up and is showing 50mpg, ("computer says"....51....old Octy did 45, but computer showed 60!)....so a little more economical on lower cost fuel. Road tax about the same as the diesel....so, so far happy bunny..hope it lasts...

Had a Mazda 5 diesel sport 2009 and traded it in a 2010 1,4 tsi dsg estate two months ago.Just love the 1,4 engine. No regrets :)

Alsomme

Edited by Alsomme

I reallly wanted an Elegance, (old car was this spec), but simply could not find one....mainly all SE's.....however the only things realy miss are the cruise control and central arm rest. (My SE has reversing sensors fitted which I guess was an extra)..for some reason here in the UK the 1.4's don't seem to be selling very well. I put a search on AutoT. and most that were there 2 months ago are still beign advertised..?....I can only assume people perceive that a 1.4 petrol engine in an Octavia is too small?..mind you..have not tried towing yet..

Mine is a elegance with sport suspension and pallas 17" wheels. Leather with alacantra seats. In Norway there is the same problem as you describe. Many 1,6 diesels. Some 1,2 tsi and just a few 1,4 tsi around.

(...keep thinking its stalled at traffic lights)

I did this once. I was really damn tired one friday afternoon and thought the car had stalled at the lights. Put it in park, turned the ignition off and started it again. Turns out I had been looking at the speedometer. 

Yes, it's pretty damn quiet at idle. I love it for this.