Coil light flashing, loss of power

I drive a 2008 Octavia vrs 170 tdi pd.

I drove from Cambridgeshire to Bulford today. On my trip nearing the end all of a sudden a loss of power and Coil light was flashing. Had to pull onto the hard shoulder and turned engine off. After getting myself, partner anf 7month old out and in a safe place I tried starting it again and straight up started with no lights.

We set off and about 15-20mins later the same thing happened but this time both Coil and Engine light came on. Again we stopped in a lay by and waited 10mins. Started up fine but now engine light on all the time. Managed to get to our destination very nervously.

Please help and advise where anyone can as I need to drive back up to Cambs Sunday.

In the mornings the car sometimes struggles to start after coil light has gone off.

its gone into limp mode. by stopping the car you re-set it and its gone out of limp mode.

I had this a few times. The issue was my EGR valve being clogged. I also suffered a lack of power normaly and juddery acceleration

you should get home fine, if it does go into limp mode again just stop the car when you can and leave it for a bit then carry on.

Driving in limp mode is fine but you want to stop asap

Ok took the EGR valve of today and gave it a dam good clean! Was not as bad as I had imagined. But non the less I cleaned it. Before I out it back on I also removed the other part....new to this so not sure what its called. Anyway it was absolutely caked! Was a good few milometers thick.

put it all back together, tried started and oh dear, problem! Wouldnt start and clumping sound. Tried a few more tries and smoke started appearing towards the front of the engine next to the cambelt? Left it a few minutes and tried again but this time staryed straight up. Had power steering light, tyre pressure, and traction control light on. Left it running for a bit and then went for a drive, the lights soon went off. My auto down/up window function did not work though.

Went out 10mins ago and all working fine.

fingers crossed all is good on the drive home tomorrow

Ok home now. 5 minutes after setting off the Coil light started flashing but still revved over 2000rpm and didnt seem to effect performance. Stopped anyway a restarted which in turn switched light off. However 10 mins later Coil light flashed again and loss of power into limp mode. Pulled over and restarted. After that drove 2hrs 30mins all the way home with no issues although I did try keep yhe revs over 2500rpm. Any ideas?

Today the car started after a second attempt. Drove the daily 25miles to work and all was well. No lights or anythings. However still can feel a few flat spots, but they soon go when you put your foot down. Do I need to get any faults cleared?