ap coilovers for octavia vrs

Im thinking about some ap coilovers for my octy, i was told there is a limit to how low i ciuld take the car (around 30-35mm) if you go any lower it will foul the anti roll bar, if i wqnted to go lower what are my options? Woupd i need to repla e the whole rarb?

Cheers

Im thinking about some ap coilovers for my octy, i was told there is a limit to how low i ciuld take the car (around 30-35mm) if you go any lower it will foul the anti roll bar, if i wqnted to go lower what are my options? Woupd i need to repla e the whole rarb?

Cheers

This seems to be a topic of the month.

Who ever is telling you foul anti roll bar is talking rubbish.

The vrs has the benefit of a drop link set up like the Audi TT /S3, golf R32 and Seat LCR. This is not like std golf and Octavia where the arb is hooped around the drive shalf and will hit drive shalf if lowered.

You can lower VRS more than 35mm I have mine 50mm. The limit is not in the drop but what the coilover is capable of handling. Cheaper coilover can not deal with shock rebound when wound down extreme which will cause a choppy ride.

• Like 2

As bowders say you wont have a problem on ap's,but go too low on cheaper coilovers and your off side driveshaft hits the chassis :( as I'm finding out as I'm running fk's at the moment as a temp fix till my kw's are fixed

Hi bowders, many thanks for your input and clearing up my understanding.

Could you tell me what coilovers you are using?

Think hes on kw. Ap is made by kw but it's there budget brand. Still a well made suspension kit. Better than the fk kit I had on my old car.

OK, looks like AP will do the job I need them to do, plus I can have a little play with the ride height :)

Front Suspension

Outer Top nut, self-locking 21mm x2 N90 353 603
Lower strut mounting bolt 18mm x2 N10 207 803
Lower strut mounting nut 18mm x2 N10 106 402
Inner front strut nuts 18mm x2 1H0412365A

Hub Strut Spreader X1 3424

Rear Suspension
Upper shock mounting bolt 16mm X4 N90 648 401
Lower shock bolt 16mm x2 N90 517 304
Lower shock nut 16mm x2 N10 286 110

New Suspension Components From GSF

Front Suspension
Strut Top Bearing x2 1J0-412-249 (GSF P/N 45737A)
Strut Top Mount x2 1J0-412-331C (GSF P/N 45736)

Found this aswell off an old thread, dont want to take the old shocks apart, would rather put new items in there

Hi bowders, many thanks for your input and clearing up my understanding.

Could you tell me what coilovers you are using?

Hi buddy you are welcome...

I am on KW V2's that have adjustable shock rebound. They have been refurbed twice now so will be in the market at some point for probably a set of V3's

crazy money , but the best...

As bowders say you wont have a problem on ap's,but go too low on cheaper coilovers and your off side driveshaft hits the chassis :( as I'm finding out as I'm running fk's at the moment as a temp fix till my kw's are fixed

You have gone a lot lower than normal for drive shaft to hit chassis :D I have heard folks take a notch out of the chassis to go low low.

Trouble is not only is coilovers going to take a hammering the wishbone set up is at such a negative angle there is a lot of stress on the arms and bushes.

That's why i went cast wishbones and hubs to bring the arm to a more horizontal level when lowered. The TT/S3, R32,  Seat LCR Hub let's the wishbone sit a lot lower

AudiTTFrontSteeringoverhaul081.jpg

AudiTTFrontSteeringoverhaul071.jpg

21-01-201219-12-27.jpg

Think hes on kw. Ap is made by kw but it's there budget brand. Still a well made suspension kit. Better than the fk kit I had on my old car.

Yeah KW's buddy.

I did have Weitecs(now named ST's) before which were also made by KW factory (next one up form AP quality) that struggled with rebound when i was quite low, so AP will struggle at more than 50mm.

OK, looks like AP will do the job I need them to do, plus I can have a little play with the ride height :)

Front Suspension

Outer Top nut, self-locking 21mm x2 N90 353 603

Lower strut mounting bolt 18mm x2 N10 207 803

Lower strut mounting nut 18mm x2 N10 106 402

Inner front strut nuts 18mm x2 1H0412365A

Hub Strut Spreader X1 3424

Rear Suspension

Upper shock mounting bolt 16mm X4 N90 648 401

Lower shock bolt 16mm x2 N90 517 304

Lower shock nut 16mm x2 N10 286 110

New Suspension Components From GSF

Front Suspension

Strut Top Bearing x2 1J0-412-249 (GSF P/N 45737A)

Strut Top Mount x2 1J0-412-331C (GSF P/N 45736)

Found this aswell off an old thread, dont want to take the old shocks apart, would rather put new items in there

Be prepared that you may have to get new rear bump stops as you do need to reuse the rear shock mounting bracket that holds the bump stops.

Also very important to remember to take out the rear coil spring platform (large washer that seats the std coil spring) this is not needed with coilovers and will stop the rear platforms seating properly if left in place.

other than that you seem good to go

It is not a bad job to do...

• Like 1

Just finished fitting mine and after a quick run I'm really happy with them. It feels like an improvement over my original suspension, although that was rather worn. Not tried it on real country roads yet mind. Also I'm running standard ride height at the moment, planning to let it settle before I drop it, but even running it standard I like how flat she runs and it's cheaper than all round OEM suspension.

Cost me about £100 at the dealers to get all the parts (including bump stops), although that included the bracket that houses the water temp sensor that I need for removing the SAI pump (not related to fitting coilovers).

Give me a shout if you want any recommendations on fitting/tools while it's still fresh in my mind! I spent 2 days on it, after assembling the front struts beforehand (which is a bit of a pain in its own right). But I did take long lunches, was extra careful in jacking/supporting it, it rained, and I did a lot of cleaning and painting while it was apart.

I'm a fan of my APs.

The ride is decent, but I'm not silly low. The rear is lowered so that you can just about get a hand in the gap between the wheel and the arch. The front a little less.

Think that's around 35mm. Not measured though...

• 1 year later...

Just finished fitting mine and after a quick run I'm really happy with them. It feels like an improvement over my original suspension, although that was rather worn. Not tried it on real country roads yet mind. Also I'm running standard ride height at the moment, planning to let it settle before I drop it, but even running it standard I like how flat she runs and it's cheaper than all round OEM suspension.

Cost me about £100 at the dealers to get all the parts (including bump stops), although that included the bracket that houses the water temp sensor that I need for removing the SAI pump (not related to fitting coilovers).

Give me a shout if you want any recommendations on fitting/tools while it's still fresh in my mind! I spent 2 days on it, after assembling the front struts beforehand (which is a bit of a pain in its own right). But I did take long lunches, was extra careful in jacking/supporting it, it rained, and I did a lot of cleaning and painting while it was apart.

Is it possible to have standard ride height? As I thought the start at around 30 mm drop (15 mm over VRS?)? I would prefer something standard at the rear and a little lower on front (due to my LCR topmounts which makes the front higher).

This seems to be a topic of the month.

Who ever is telling you foul anti roll bar is talking rubbish.

The vrs has the benefit of a drop link set up like the Audi TT /S3, golf R32 and Seat LCR. This is not like std golf and Octavia where the arb is hooped around the drive shalf and will hit drive shalf if lowered.

You can lower VRS more than 35mm I have mine 50mm. The limit is not in the drop but what the coilover is capable of handling. Cheaper coilover can not deal with shock rebound when wound down extreme which will cause a choppy ride.

I am confused, can you help me? I thought I read somewhere that people are "upgrading" to the R32 FARB? Or is the R32 a similar shaped model as the VRS, only a tad thicker and stiffer? And by the std Golf, do we talk about a normal Golf or including the GTI model? Or does the Octavia VRS have a better suspension setup then the Golf GTI?

Hi guys. I'm about to buy AP suspension kit not the coilies. My question is which is good for MK1 vrs? Because on DPM's site it says the SP82-001 is the right for the vrs (and others excl 1.9tdi) with 35mm lowering. (I know its about 20 on vrs). But on the AP webshop it says the SP82-003 is just for the vrs and the 2.0. But after some google I find everywhere the 003 is for octavias with automatic gearbox only. So chaos. Could somebody tell me 100% which is the right one? I mean everything is in place and no need mods or different parts to fit. Cheers [emoji4]

• Sponsor

Hi guys. I'm about to buy AP suspension kit not the coilies. My question is which is good for MK1 vrs? Because on DPM's site it says the SP82-001 is the right for the vrs (and others excl 1.9tdi) with 35mm lowering. (I know its about 20 on vrs). But on the AP webshop it says the SP82-003 is just for the vrs and the 2.0. But after some google I find everywhere the 003 is for octavias with automatic gearbox only. So chaos. Could somebody tell me 100% which is the right one? I mean everything is in place and no need mods or different parts to fit. Cheers [emoji4]

What's your front axle weight?

Damian @ DPM Performance 

Where can I find that exactly? I think it's up to 980kg but I just said after the Koni str.t kit specification. It's an 03 mk1 vrs.

Obviously I trust in You and the website. It's just confusing every site has different description even the manufacturer's. So that's why I want to make sure I'll buy the right one.

I am very curious how you will find it and how it looks! You are not going for the 55/35 kit (which is 30/10) on a VRS. This seems lower then the coils which seem to bottom out at their lowest setting.

The 35/35 is enough for me. I don't really want to go lower. I just need to update the whole suspension and thought maybe 10-20mm lowering would be better than standard. :)

Yes for me it would be enough too. But mine and most seem to be "suffering" from to low at the rear and to high at the front. Personally I would like to keep the rear OEM RS height and front 2 cm lower.

• Sponsor

Where can I find that exactly? I think it's up to 980kg but I just said after the Koni str.t kit specification. It's an 03 mk1 vrs.

Obviously I trust in You and the website. It's just confusing every site has different description even the manufacturer's. So that's why I want to make sure I'll buy the right one.

It can usually be found on a white plate in the boot or door frame.

Damian @ DPM Performance