Good Yeti alternative from VW?

kibby

Am I understanding that a pano-roofed Yeti is thought to have less head room than one with a hard top?

Not sure how that happens given effectively a thinner roof (with the blind retracted, same as, when it is shut) and a front roof panel that slides over the fixed rear panel. 

If your head naturally doesn't fit inside the aperture area and you are in the area surrounding it

the head lining is generally lower due to the framework taking up more space and lowering

the headroom in that area.More prevalent in older designs. Not sure if this applies to the Yeti.

Edited by kibby

My quote for the l&k fully comp and protected £168 and I'm more than happy to pay that,as for the headroom with the sun roof I'm 6 2. And there's ample head space,so come on yeti owners,cheer up.

• 4 weeks later...

Mainly for 'oldstan' (post 39 asking for feedback)..so don't take it the wrong way.

Recently taken delivery of Golf SV 1.4Tsi DSG SE in place of Yeti 1.2 DSG SE.

Did what I think was a good deal with good trade in and 9.5% off the full retail price

from large VW dealership. Compared with Skoda the 'Deal' was a lot easier to achieve,

although the fact that Yeti's were scarce at the time may have influenced matters

(But SV is hot off the press too!!).

For 'Oldstan' and others interested....Early days but if (a big if) you don't require 4WD it is an

improvement over the Yeti in the following area's (my opinion). Remember I originally suggested

it as an 'Alternative' NOT a direct 'Competitor before that issue crops up,.

Ride comfort...larger wheelbase, 16" tyres, larger seats more accomodating to larger frame person.

Larger practical 2 level boot with real skinny spare that doesn't detract from usable space

Engine has more 'umph' than Yeti  (1.4 rather than 1.2) 0-60 in 9.9 sec.

MPG ..we are achieving 43.8 Vs 38.5 with the Yeti inspite of switching off the Stop/Start system until

it's run in...Seems like 44-45 is achievable with it on and more miles on the clock.

Bags of boys toys and clever things (Adaptive Cruise, Steering Wheel Paddles, iPad type touch screen,

Self supporting bonnet... etc.

Latest generation engine, and other technology.

Jumbo box doesn't intrude into rear footwell so no riding a horse for the middle rear passenger.

Fit and finish as per Yeti and a tad more stylist inside.

Looks typical 'Golf' conservative and no means 'Flash'..Some might not like it.

Access and mobility as good if not better than Yeti (same extra roof height, high driving position but larger cabin

space than Yeti (extra legroom, shoulder room).

Still have good thoughts for a Yeti (apart from reliability issues..don't go there) and

will give the Yeti 2 serious consideration in the future come changeover time.

Have found a reasonable VW forum but nowhere near as good as this.

Reason being the forums are more fragmented due to the large no of types of VW's,

a lot less feedback per thread and MOST NOTICABLE some how a more colder,

less friendly and less knowledgable set of members.(Initial impressions only!!).

Will pop back now and again for a browse as unable to kick the habbit.

Apologies if you think this posting is out of place, but I did commit

to feedback to 'Oldstan'.

Regards Kibby.

Edited by kibby
  • Like 1

Not out of place at all and brilliant feedback, thanks. I love the SV personally but just wished the rear seats did the same removal trick as the Yeti - the sliding and reclining is ok but they aren't really useable slide right forward to get the most of the boot space IMO. It's a nice drive and the 150ps 1.4tsi would also be my choice of engine due to its refinement/power/economy mix. I would however go for the GT spec dues to all the nice little extras mentioned by me in post #50. Best of luck with the new purchase :)

Many thanks, Kibby. 

No-one will have the slightest objection to your post and thanks for keeping your promise. 

All your comments noted with interest and pleased you're getting on with it.

Maybe it's not the place to continue the debate but, as it happens, I  passed a VW dealer in Exeter two days and popped in and found an SV in the yard and parked the Yeti in front of it by way of size comparison.  Looked around the outside and posed the possibility to the Mrs. but didn't have time to drive it or crawl over it but it's something I will look closely at when the time comes.

Thanks again, Kibby.  Appreciated.

My1.4 is only 125 or thereabouts but you have no choice with the petrol 1.4 SE.

You have to go with the GT if you want 150 from the engine. Overall much more choice

of combinations for engine/DSG than the Yeti which is a plus.

The off put for us with the GT was the sunroof which for various reasons we didn't want.

Just might have gone for the GT if it included leather seats but they where a £2095 option

on the SE/GT and we would have had to put in a factory order prolonging the wait as

well as getting a lot more than we wanted to pay.

Edited by kibby

Seems clear that there are an increasing number of real 'crossover' (much as I hate the word, it does describe a niche) competitors to Yeti for those content with 2WD (new Qashqai, Golf SV, maybe the new Honda HRV though details seem scarce as yet etc). But for those of us preferring 4WD the choice is still relatively limited.

Nearly waited for the HRV but still a way off (mid 2015), and from early online pics

I estimate it will be less practical inside and with headroom and boot space restrictions

if current Honda vehicles are a guide to the future.

Being a 6 footer can only get comfortable in the CRV out of current Honda choice.

Current styling also a bit weird and flash with disappointing 'practicals' if you get my drift.

Even our much appreciated Honda Dealer bemoans the current range as not meeting

a lot of potential customers needs.

Seems Honda lost the plot of recent times and have the wrong cars in the market.

Edited by kibby
  • Like 2

The off put for us with the GT was the sunroof which for various reasons we didn't want.

As mentioned earlier in the thread, the GT trim level DOESN'T come with the panoramic sunroof, its a £920 option. :)

Interesting thread.

After nearly four years of largely happy Yeti ownership (1.2 SE DSG) I placed an order for a VW Golf SV 1.4 SE DSG last month, due sometime in November.

It is very much a competitor for a Yeti especially if your requirements are for a highish seating position with a petrol engine and an efficient auto box!

The only options I have added are front and rear parking sensors and the 2-Zone auto air con (that I love on my Yeti).

It may be conservative and boring but if it is comfortable, quiet and reasonably economical it will have satisfied most of my requirements for a car.  

If I need a buzz of excitement I take my GS motorcycle out for a ride.  With 125 bhp pushing 230 kg plus me that really goes and with all the electronic wizardry that BMW can throw at it it handles and stops too!  But that's another story :-) 

• Like 1

Hope to see you on the 'VolkswagenForum.co.uk' Forum where they have just added a Golf SV section

at my request. Only problem I see is that it is nowhere near as good as this one with only sporadic posting.

Ours bought out of Dealer stock and same spec as yours without the Dual Aircon.

Noticed the SE has 'Toronto' alloys which are part diamond cut lacquered surface, part silver painted and

I think will need to keep an eye on them for lacquer deterioration. Would be a bit of a nightmare to

refurbish if you 'kerb' them.

Pleased so far and still achieving 42+ MPG inspite of lots of short trip miles recently. Went with the 5 yr

Warranty (VW one, not Car Care plan (no as good) and 3 yr service plan. for re-assurance over the longer term).

Spotted on a German Website a 4WD version is planned but not convinced it will happen.

Apologies for the advert (only a qualified mention!!).

Edited by kibby

Had another look at one yesterday at the dealers too but it was a 125ps tsi SE. Ended up taking out a Golf GT hatch though as I just wanted to see how well the 150 tsi unit went and its really very impressive - plenty for overtaking at reasonable speeds and decent economy from what I saw. Looking for them to get a GT spec 150 TSi SV in to try next weekend. Forgot that the active cruise control is standard fitment on the GT spec hatch and SV - that was the surprise of the test drive. Once set it followed the car in front maintaining a set distance away - braking and accelerating all the way and braking at the end, even though I had my foot over the brake in anticipation of it not actually working! Materials and possibly fitment are better than the Yeti in places and the seats were very comfy indeed and I liked the flat bottomed steering wheel. (Same as in the SV GT apparently). It's a very nice place to be and with almost £4,000 discount available, pretty good value IMO . :)

Forgot that the active cruise control is standard fitment on the GT spec hatch and SV - that was the surprise of the test drive. Once set it followed the car in front maintaining a set distance away - braking and accelerating all the way and braking at the end, even though I had my foot over the brake in anticipation of it not actually working! 

I've often wondered what active cruise control did that was different from that fitted to my Yeti. Is this the definitive answer or is it more mysterious?

Fred

The features affecting Adaptive control are : You can set a distance between you and the car in front, set a speed limit also (warning??). Another feature is the City Braking (which if I read it right, as not used yet) which brings you to a controlled halt if someone stops without warning from under 20mph.

Like the 'latest parts' fitted compared with the Yeti which is getting long in the tooth and missed an opportunity to update the spec with the facelift.

Edited by kibby
  • Like 1

Hope to see you on the 'VolkswagenForum.co.uk' Forum where they have just added a Golf SV section

at my request. Only problem I see is that it is nowhere near as good as this one with only sporadic posting.

Ours bought out of Dealer stock and same spec as yours without the Dual Aircon.

Noticed the SE has 'Toronto' alloys which are part diamond cut lacquered surface, part silver painted and

I think will need to keep an eye on them for lacquer deterioration. Would be a bit of a nightmare to

refurbish if you 'kerb' them.

Pleased so far and still achieving 42+ MPG inspite of lots of short trip miles recently. Went with the 5 yr

Warranty (VW one, not Car Care plan (no as good) and 3 yr service plan. for re-assurance over the longer term).

Spotted on a German Website a 4WD version is planned but not convinced it will happen.

Apologies for the advert (only a qualified mention!!).

I would have loved to have stayed in the Skoda family - I just like the way they do things; from their products to their service, good people in my experience.

I have to agree that the VW forum isn't a patch on this one - I shall be keeping a foot in both camps I suspect!

As for the SV my reasons for heading that way are quite straightforward.  I wanted an automatic petrol engined car with a reasonably high driving position and decent fuel economy.

Realistically I can only find 3 cars that meet that spec; Skoda Yeti, VW Touran and VW Golf SV.  I already have a Yeti and the only reason to change it is if something else can offer a bit more room in the cabin, a bit more luggage space, a bit more performance with a bit better fuel economy on a slightly softer suspension set up with perhaps a bit less wind noise when cruising.  I think the SV will tick all of those boxes.  I will find out soon... (Looking forward to playing with the adaptive cruise control)

I would have loved to have had the 150 bhp GT spec engine with the standard suspension.  Unfortunately that isn't an option.  Helping me swing to the 1.4 SE spec is the fact that most of the journalists have raved about the 125 engine in preference to the 150 version.  As it is I am right at the top of my budget anyway so an SV with minimal extras it is.

I will report back when I have my new toy. 

Helping me swing to the 1.4 SE spec is the fact that most of the journalists have raved about the 125 engine in preference to the 150 version.  

Could you put up the links for these reviews please - thanks. :)

Early days I know but found the VW Dealer in the sales experience a lot more 'engaging' than the Skoda

one. Without asking made the statement "if you have any problems it's how we deal with them that counts"

Could be just 'sales patter' but at least they are in the right frame of mind. Found the Skoda experience

a bit dismissive and unwilling to follow up problems to our satisfaction and one of the reasons we moved (although not the main reason).

Appreciate they are part of same group so experience should have been the same.Another plus, a lot easier to negotiate a good discount (larger Dealership maybe?).

Only time will tell.

Interesting as Ive had the opposite experience so far and value the support and experience of my local Skoda dealer over the fairly snotty attitude of the local VW one. Having said that, the sales guy that I spoke to on Saturday morning at VW was very knowledgeable about the product, even down to which versions got which engines and rear suspension setups. (I don't want a lower powered one due also to the fact they get the basic fixed torsion beam setup). :) 

Had another look at one yesterday at the dealers too but it was a 125ps tsi SE. Ended up taking out a Golf GT hatch though as I just wanted to see how well the 150 tsi unit went and its really very impressive - plenty for overtaking at reasonable speeds and decent economy from what I saw. Looking for them to get a GT spec 150 TSi SV in to try next weekend. Forgot that the active cruise control is standard fitment on the GT spec hatch and SV - that was the surprise of the test drive. Once set it followed the car in front maintaining a set distance away - braking and accelerating all the way and braking at the end, even though I had my foot over the brake in anticipation of it not actually working! Materials and possibly fitment are better than the Yeti in places and the seats were very comfy indeed and I liked the flat bottomed steering wheel. (Same as in the SV GT apparently). It's a very nice place to be and with almost £4,000 discount available, pretty good value IMO . :)

That is EXACTLY why I want a new Octy Scout with Adaptive Cruise and not just normal CC. I tried it on a Volvo before and it was fantastic and one of the must haves for me to ever upgrade from my Yeti.

• Like 1