Good Afternoon All.

Looking to get peoples opinions as I'm having a nightmare deciding which way to go with possible VRS purchase.

I have now had a mk2 FL petrol hatch for 4 years and have loved every minute of ownership but it may be time for a change. The mrs was keen to look at other cars, very much of the.... you dont want the same car again do you, but tbh i have looked around and there just isnt much around in terms of competition if you need space, performance and decent build quality.

So likely to be another vrs, the boss is starting to come round to the idea..... .but then we get to choosing the right options etc, somehow much easier last time, this is where i hope you can help.

- Hatch or estate.... this time round i have two little girls (growing up fast) and thinking maybe the estate is going to help with moving bikes around etc, i think the girls will love the panoramic roof too ....... but is there any disadvantages i havent thought of??? (more wind / road noise, or is this a thing of the past?)

- Sat nav.... historically i always thought built in ones were a waste of money but, maybe with old age, i am starting to warm to the idea..... is the columbus worth the extra money?

Thanks for your help / views...

Mk3 petrol vRS is a very good car but its not leaps and bounds better than the Mk2; just considerably better standard equipment id suggest.

I personally think the estate is a better looking car myself but its 1500 quid you'd need not spend if you dont need the higher loading space as the boot on the hatch is the same footprint and vast. That said the estate is airier inside.

If I went sat nav Amundsen is about as far as Id go. Columbus is v nice but no chance in hell is it several hundred pound better than the Amundsen....which at 550 quid is getting on for overpriced anyway (its just a Bolero with an SD driven nav module....the columbus really is just a big screened Bolero with SSD driven nav).

If youre not overly bothered about factory nav but want the sharkfin antenna then go for bluetooth+ @ £180 and you'll have the antenna (and better GSM reception if the phone is placed in the centre console cubby).

On the hatch versus estate it depends.

Personally I have an estate as the PCP cost was minimal due to the higher end value although I didn't particularly need the estate, I also prefer the look of the estate over the hatch.  I also found that the the estate has better rear visabilty and easier to park for swmbo as the rear glass is almost where the end of the car is.

However I have noticed the estate is rather bad for crosswinds, although I don't know what the hatch is like for it as I suspect it's mainly a lack of weight that causes that problem.

I think it depends on what you want to do with the car and how you are going to pay for it but remember the estate generally will be worth more when you're going to sell it.  In addition I can't count the number of times I've been really glad for that extra bit of space.

If I went sat nav Amundsen is about as far as Id go. Columbus is v nice but no chance in hell is it several hundred pound better than the Amundsen....which at 550 quid is getting on for overpriced anyway (its just a Bolero with an SD driven nav module....the columbus really is just a big screened Bolero with SSD driven nav).

I went for the Admunden but there is a massive difference between Admundsen and Columbus, particularly around video playback and phone compatibility over USB.  Admundsen doesn't support any video playback except via AMI/Mitsumi connection (despite my manual saying it does), where as columbus I belive supports playback from DVD, SD and USB HDDs/Sticks.

As far as I understand you save £100 (plus the cost of the specific cable) by not needing Mitsumi either as phones etc will connect directly via USB.

Of course it depends whether this is a killer for the OP.

Personally I think Admundsen should have been the basic on the vRS - no satnav on a £24k car is madness in my book.

After my Yeti I would steer clear of the glass sun roof. It leaked all through winter despite 2 trips to the dealer and creaked & moaned all through the summer. Then the motor went and it stuck open - luckily the motor was covered by the warranty or I would have had a £460 bill. Not worth it IMO. And it adds quite a bit of weight to the car.

Thanks for all the feedback.... ...

The columbus comment about connectivity is interesting.... having spoken to my local dealer there seems a huge amount of confusion about what is supported by what..... i currently have the ipod connectivity in my mkl2 and it works great but i have read that this IS and ISNT required with the columbus.... anyone actually know which is the case??

I currently have a old ipod tucked away in the glove box which i only ever take out to update whats on it, the rest of the time it just sits there connected up ready to be selected from using the touch screen.... yes it was an expensive option for what it does... but actually really worth the money

Apple devices work with a normal USB sync cable with the Columbus unit. Anything else you need to spec Mitsumi at £100 and get a cable (not included, according to the brochure) to be able to connect up an Apple device.

Or use Bluetooth which works on anything above and including Bolero but has limited functionality compared to the hard wired options.

Edited by Mort

FWIW I have the petrol vRS estate and it's the quietest car I've ever owned. That includes several BMW M-cars in 3 and 5 series, so I doubt you'd have any problems with noise - unless it's one of the dreaded special models with added resonant "boom" which I'm delighted to say I don't have. Nor do I have the engine noise synthesiser (which can be disconnected anyway), so would have no hesitation recommending my style of car to anyone. Add in all the plus points you mention, like 600L boot space without folding a seat and it's a practical and reasonably economical car with terrific performance for the £145 pa road tax.

Thanks for all the feedback.... ...

The columbus comment about connectivity is interesting.... having spoken to my local dealer there seems a huge amount of confusion about what is supported by what..... i currently have the ipod connectivity in my mkl2 and it works great but i have read that this IS and ISNT required with the columbus.... anyone actually know which is the case??

I currently have a old ipod tucked away in the glove box which i only ever take out to update whats on it, the rest of the time it just sits there connected up ready to be selected from using the touch screen.... yes it was an expensive option for what it does... but actually really worth the money

Yes if you want to use apple devices on a bolero or amundsen then you need the mitsumi connector.....it basically swaps the standard USB mass storage connector for the more traditional VAG MDI connector. I believe you can still use USB devices with the mitsumi but you need the proprietary cable for it.

with the columbus apple devices just work via the USB and standard apple cable.

Another couple of points with the Columbus....it has a DVD drive so can read mp3 DVD's and can also display video. If you have Canton it also processes 5.1 surround sound. Its still 1350 quid though so id suggest you'd really have to want the additional screen real estate and the other (what i consider personally absolutely non essential) features..suppose its whatever floats your boat. I suppose bearing in mind alot of countries have to pay extra for the Bolero we do quite well here.

I personally just stick a reasonable size SD card in mine and play my music that way. Now Apple no longer content protect their downloads you can just copy the mp4a files directly from the iTunes folder on your PC to an SD and itll work.

Edited by pipsyp

On the hatch versus estate it depends.

Personally I have an estate as the PCP cost was minimal due to the higher end value although I didn't particularly need the estate, I also prefer the look of the estate over the hatch. I also found that the the estate has better rear visabilty and easier to park for swmbo as the rear glass is almost where the end of the car is.

However I have noticed the estate is rather bad for crosswinds, although I don't know what the hatch is like for it as I suspect it's mainly a lack of weight that causes that problem.

I think it depends on what you want to do with the car and how you are going to pay for it but remember the estate generally will be worth more when you're going to sell it. In addition I can't count the number of times I've been really glad for that extra bit of space.

I went for the Admunden but there is a massive difference between Admundsen and Columbus, particularly around video playback and phone compatibility over USB. Admundsen doesn't support any video playback except via AMI/Mitsumi connection (despite my manual saying it does), where as columbus I belive supports playback from DVD, SD and USB HDDs/Sticks.

As far as I understand you save £100 (plus the cost of the specific cable) by not needing Mitsumi either as phones etc will connect directly via USB.

Of course it depends whether this is a killer for the OP.

Personally I think Admundsen should have been the basic on the vRS - no satnav on a £24k car is madness in my book.

Golf GTI, GTD and R only get Composition Media infotainment as standard which is the same as Bolero. In fairness alot of more premium 24k cars dont come with nav; Skoda are reasonably generous in this respect bundling it on SE Business and Elegance models.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello everyone. First post for me on this forum. I am on the cusp of ordering a new Octavia 3 VRS Estate. I'm interested to pick your brains if you have the DSG petrol, manual petrol, or DSG diesel, on what real world economy you achieve on your day to day. My last car, a 2010 1600 diesel Cmax (go ahead, laugh) had a quoted mpg of 63mpg combined, but I rarely got it to average above 46 on a mix of town and motorway.

I've test driven a petrol manual estate today, and loved it. It was showing 32 mpg, which the dealer said was town use (which he would) I'd consider myself typical young dad, spend 99% of the time in traffic/ pottering around "listening", with the occasional spirited hustle when i'm alone. 

DSG Diesel Combi

6500 miles now so a loosening up, 45mpg easily achievable, nearer 50 to the gallon on a steady drive, can see mid 50s if you drive carefully.

Travelling up to Yorkshire next week so that will be about 650 miles in three days, it will be interesting to see how the fuel economy shapes up.

I live in a rural area and travel at least 5 miles whenever I get in the car. Mostly NSL around here and rarely use motorways so very little town work. I find this car will pull well in a higher gear than I am usually inclined to use (even 6th isn't unheard of at 50 mph). My vRS TSi has given me 8 month average of 36 mpg, which I'm pretty impressed with. You might say my expectations are too low, but I'm not too worried about economy though I do try to drive smoothly and with anticipation, so am not on and off pedals like it's a keyboard. Don't have great need for big space, but have always liked estates as they are so flexible. Rear passenger space also brilliant, and helps a lot when ferrying other folk around - even smaller ones. Don't think you can choose wrong with the Mk3 really, though best to be sure which matters more to you - performance (= petrol) or economy (= diesel). Good hunting, and hope you enjoy the experience.

Don't think of it as a nightmare, JSC: buying a new car should be fun, especially if it's a vRS! 

Go for the estate: better visibility, easier to load (if you specify the variable boot floor) and the overall length is the same as the hatch.  This is my third vRS estate (petrol manual this time) and I agree with everything Oldfella says above. 

I was tempted by a mark 7 Golf GTI this time, but I'm glad I went for another Octavia.  We're about to retire from Berks. to Dorset and it's swallowed all sorts of stuff going down to the new house.  And it costs less to buy and insure yet has the same 217 bhp engine.  It gives 32 mpg or so in town but 40+ on a long run, so unless you do a high mileage go for petrol power.

I have a diesel estate (and to be honest have/will always probably need an estate), and i love it. My average economy since June is about 38mpg, this is over a 5-day per week commute in and out of a busy city - tend to find the 'in' gives me about 42, lucky to get 30 on the 'out' due to traffic. However I also seem to have developed a habit of going home via the Peak District on a sunny day, add 5-20 miles depending on route, and I do tend to rag the living daylights out of it whenever I get the chance.

My commute indicates already that perhaps, next time I change cars (and it will undoubtedly be for whatever vRS is available at the time) I might pay more attention to the DSG box (just to save the time on the clutch in traffic which, having test driven a DSG, is now tiresome - before that I didn't know any different). To add to that, the DSG car I tried was a diesel, and I didn't like it at all. Just seemed to hold the revs too long with foot to floorboards, didn't seem right to me. And it was quite a few more quid to get it specced so didn't bother. Since this is the first slightly rapid car I've owned over and above the normal 2.0Tdi diesels, I alredy yearn for petrol just to get the extra bhp. SWMBO is not enamoured with the idea of a DTUK chip, worried about warranty and insurance issues...

One huge point to make - since you mention bicycles - the estate is fitted with roof rails as standard. Add a pair of bars and Thule Proride 591 carriers x the number of bikes you need to carry, and it's soooo easy. Look for the carriers on ebay as you can save a lot of cash compared to buying from Halfords etc.

Edited by mangoletse