Yeti driver profile

bearmina

Can anyone explain to me why the profile of Yeti drivers appears to be so much different in the UK to continental Europe?

The majority of owners here seem to be middle-aged or retired males. I travel to the Continent regularly and have spotted many Yetis and they have all been driven by younger people - male and female. 

Please note this is not a criticism, just an observation!  think the Yeti is a great car for many different types of people - older, younger, male and female - but I'm just curious why the vast bulk of UK owners appears to be male and of a certain age.

Does Skoda market the car differently over here? If so, why? Fascinated to find out as I'm a female Yeti owner and have only seen two other women driving the car here.

I only know one person who drives one, a middle aged woman across the road from me. I think it's just a "useful" shape for that sort of age range really. Easy to get into + nice vantage point for them etc (especially if they've reached the age they start shrinking :D). Having said that, after watching bossfox's videos of his yeti, I'd have one (I'm 25)!

I've rarely seen a Yeti in France (Baggage handling difficulties in Lhasa ?  :p )

A few Fabias and Octavias, and  quite a few Dacia Logans and Dusters

Probably too pricey for the younger  "Homely" set (What's the betting its cheaper over there ?) and eased out by the "edginess" of the styling of crossovers for youngsters that can afford it. plus the people who could afford it are mainly urban based.

Older males like because the elevated driving position meets their needs for the purpose of minimising the effects of the physical degradations of age and giving them a sense of superiority which they might not have been able to achieve elsewhere in life.

Could it be that the UK population is conditioned to associate an elevated driving position with age, seniority and wisdom  ? Hence saloons and coupes for young people, Crossovers for those who are realising they are getting older, but don't want to admit it and Yetis for those who like to think their age entitles them to be treated like squire of the manor..

Postcript

That said, as an "Elder" myself, I know how I would rather do a 500 mile holiday journey and it aint spread eagled on the capsule couch of some mock supercar with concrete suspension - even if it has got zonal climate control. Give me the site-up-and-beg VW T2 any time, far more comfy and space - tbh I haven't showroom tested a Yeti's seating yet.

Nick

Edited by Clunkclick

The only Yetis I've seen around here are owned by attendees at the church next door.

So there you go, nice car for a Church Warden or member of the parochial committee who still require the "Respectable" car, Rover type mage.

Personally, if the finish on the Duster's were up to Yetis - because of the large unobstructed loading area to the rear, I'd go with that. Elsewise its going to be a second hand blown van with bags of room for kipping out and accommodating camping gear.

Nick

Same with the Roomster it seems/

Ageist comment granted, but that's one of the main things that put me off tbh.

I personally would prefer a yeti over a roomster any day. I dont really like the roomsters but the yetis are cool.

If i could afford one, Id have a 2.0tdi 4x4. Perfect for the winters around here and plenty of room in em too.

Im 21 btw.

• Like 1

I think I've seen nearly as many Yetis driven by women as by men. What I haven't seen is young drivers.

Price i suppose.

If a young driver can afford a £16k (at a rough guess?) car, i suppose a skoda isnt considered that cool, especially a yeti. An octy vrs maybe or an audi might be much cooler.

Why havent i got one after my previous comment? I havent got 16k! Haha. And if i did id be buying a new motorbike anyway, so..

The only Yetis I've seen around here are owned by attendees at the church next door.

So there you go, nice car for a Church Warden or member of the parochial committee who still require the "Respectable" car, Rover type mage.

Personally, if the finish on the Duster's were up to Yetis - because of the large unobstructed loading area to the rear, I'd go with that. Elsewise its going to be a second hand blown van with bags of room for kipping out and accommodating camping gear.

Nick

5 grand plus cheaper though, and reading good reports so far too.

Thanks for all the comments.

I love the drive, acceleration etc of the Yeti but am not so enamoured of the styling - especially the brown leather in the L&K (what was Skoda thinking?).

In a quandary about what car to buy next as I'd like a model that's nippy - and preferably stylish - but also can accommodate a big dog! Any suggestions?

Thanks for all the comments.

I love the drive, acceleration etc of the Yeti but am not so enamoured of the styling - especially the brown leather in the L&K (what was Skoda thinking?).

In a quandary about what car to buy next as I'd like a model that's nippy - and preferably stylish - but also can accommodate a big dog! Any suggestions?

Struggling tbh.

Everything is pretty 'safe' and mundane now IMO

Agree the new Yeti styling is rather underwhelming. Maybe all the manufacturers have given up cos we'll all be in driverless cars soon and won't care so much what they look like! 

I did think the BMW i3 with recycled and birch interior was rather interesting. I took it for a test drive but it felt like a fast milk float and quite flimsy on the motorway. Plus I realised I'd be paying BMW a large sum of money to effectively be their electric car guinea pig.

Are the margins that narrow nowadays that they can't offer more exciting design and functionality at a more acceptable price?