MK2 vRS Track Day Weight Loss Programe

Just finished taking whatever can be taken out of the car and was really surprised how much weight I managed to save this way. Best thing is it is all non-permanent :D

vRSWeightLoss_zpsf7e68e3b.jpg

Spare Wheel - 16.2 kg

Rear Seats - 22.8 kg

Tools - 4.1 kg

TOTAL - 43.1 kg

• Like 2

Its a shocking amount. I saved another 50kg with the brakes, removing the rear ballast and changing the battery.

New motor is 1100 kg so i reckon i can get her into three figures for trackdays

What, you bought a Catheram? ;)

Problem is one can only do so much to thier daily driver in the weight saving department before it becomes a torture to drive or budget is seriously blown :(

The brake on a dime, corner decently but severely lack top speed, the budget ones of course! They are also crap in wet due to being super light.

Would love to buy the kit and build it myself :)

Super light R500 ring any bells? Not sure on the specs but it went when my foot went down and really stuck to the road :)
  • Like 1

Just finished taking whatever can be taken out of the car and was really surprised how much weight I managed to save this way. Best thing is it is all non-permanent :D

vRSWeightLoss_zpsf7e68e3b.jpg

Spare Wheel - 16.2 kg

Rear Seats - 22.8 kg

Tools - 4.1 kg

TOTAL - 43.1 kg

Never thought the rear seats would weight sooo much...!!! Hope these are easy to remove...?

What, you bought a Catheram? ;)

Problem is one can only do so much to thier daily driver in the weight saving department before it becomes a torture to drive or budget is seriously blown :(

No mate. Fiesta ST MP215. Not hugely fussed about weight loss on this one. Ill track it exactly how it is driven everyday.

Your right about Caterham. Fly past then on the straights and in the wet they just get in the way.

Edited by vRSy

No mate. Fiesta ST MP215. Not hugely fussed about weight loss on this one. Ill track it exactly how it is driven everyday.

My Mountuned Fiesta ST3 was exactly 1,200kg when I popped it on my corner scales.

That was will a full tank of fuel and a spare wheel though.

I'd say 50% or more of trackday driving comes down to ability and knowledge and most of us only get the ability from lots of practice and tuition, there are a few who are naturals ( the jammy gits) for the rest of us we have to learn.

Know so many people who turn up in well prepped cars only to drive like a knob and get overtaken by silly things.

I was in a standard Civic Type R at Spa a few weeks back, got overtaken and bullied out the way by a 550 Maranello down Raidillon, By Stavelot i was flashing him out of the way and back past him, he didn't bother next lap.  Same hapens at the ring.  Wish i had the Go pro on at the weekend int he VRS as had same with a new BMW M4 who would not get out of the way on the corners.  Eventually got past him and never saw him again int he mirrors.  All the gear no idea.

i know people who have 130bhp MX5's and they run rings around bigger stuff, I also think that a low powered car can be a lot more fun than any of the monsters you see on track, anyone who has not used a Swift Sport on track needs to try one, such a giggle even if they are only 130bhp.

Edited by Ant FR

Cannot agree more Ant! Funny how most people start "tuning" from maps and getting more power where in reality car has more power than suspension, chassis and tyres can handle in stock guise:). That's why I love wet track days, skill is the king then.