Oil - semi to full synth?

My 2002 Mk1 AZJ 2.0l engine has been fed Castrol Magnatec 10w40 for the last few years. I would have thought full synthetic would have been used.

I'm aware of certain dangers of changing from semi to full synth.

Its has 62,000 miles on the clock and would really prefer to use a better quality oil such as 5w40 motul X-cess or Castrol edge.

But I am concerned about putting in a good synthetic and the detergents cleaning out crud blocking up oil galleries.

What are your thoughts?

Cheers

I ran my golf 1.8t on fully synth; but I've just bought a 1.8t Octavia which is on semi. I think I'll stick with semi and change it every 5k miles. I'm keeping it standard, and I drive like miss daisy anyway. I don't want to block any oil galleries, or cause any leaks.

I ran my golf 1.8t on fully synth; but I've just bought a 1.8t Octavia which is on semi. I think I'll stick with semi and change it every 5k miles. I'm keeping it standard, and I drive like miss daisy anyway. I don't want to block any oil galleries, or cause any leaks.

Yes blocking oil galleries is what worries me. It only has 61,000 on it though and has had regular changes.

Would prefer to run it on full synthetic though. Something to ponder over for a few months before its next change.

Does the plug use a copper crush washer and if so what size?

Any on ebay?

Edited by Brit24

Yes blocking oil galleries is what worries me. It only has 61,000 on it though and has had regular changes.

Would prefer to run it on full synthetic though. Something to ponder over for a few months before its next change.

Does the plug use a copper crush washer and if so what size?

Any on ebay?

I'd go to your local TPS. With trade club discount (if you ask nicely) a genuine filter is £2/3 and a sump plug with washer is around £1.

Unfortunately no local TPS here. Would spend 10 quid on petrol or 7 quid on the train getting there.

But thanks for the tip. Had a look on TPS which I had never seen before. I see they have the quantum oil which is what my garage used for when it had its full service. They said it was semi but maybe not as the TPS site has the quantum full synth only.

It also specs these 2 for my car: quantum platinum 5w40 or Castrol edge 5w30, both synth.

• 2 weeks later...

didn't know Motul did a specific VW oil now.

Good price for 5 litres also!

Another one worth considering especially for this price but it does mention it was specifically designed for the diesel engines (but also ok for petrol!)

http://www.opieoils.co.uk/p-886-motul-vw-specific-505-01502-00-5w-40-vw-petrol-and-diesel-engine-oil-100-synthetic.aspx

I bought my '51 plate car 4 years ago showing 80k on the clock. It had a nice service history, but like yours, had been run on various semi-synths.

Over my years of motoring, track days and racing, I have great faith (despite what others may say) in Mobil 1.

I run all my cars (from my Octy right through to a Porsche 911) on Mobil 1, changing it at 10,000 miles along with a genuine filter. I know many people change their oil on Octy VRs's at 5,000 miles....but I say that oil technology (especially Mobil 1) is at a point where 10,000 mile changes are fine. Especially if, like me, you warm the car up gently each time, drive it like you stole it when it is warm, and then cool it down gently and let it idle for a minute or two before shut-down.

Anyway, I have taken my Octy from 80k to 140k over 4 years, with 10k mile oil-changes, and it also has a re-map etc. too.

As it stands, it still starts and runs perfectly. Interestingly, over 10k miles, I have to top-up around half a litre at 5k, that's all. So it burns a negligable amount of oil over that time.

Oh, and I've never even changed the oil pickup in the sump either. I feel lucky, punk! Lol!

Opie Oils just got back to me and recommended Motul X-cess 5w40 for my Octavia out of all the oils.

Not sure what they based that on but they thought that was the best option.

But thanks for all the tips.

Mobil 3000 was on my shortlist though.

I see that there are 2 types of service intervals. standard and long life.

Mine is long life fliexible.

But I still intend to change the oil often.

I read my manual and it says quantum 5w40 or Castrol Edge 5w30.  40 weight is a 40 weight, so why 5w30 with Castrol? Are Skoda trying to cover themselves with Quantum by recommending a thicker oil as it is substandard to Castrol???

Maybe the HTHS and group of Edge is better than Quantum. I haven't had a chance to compare both in detail yet.

Get Mobil 1, like I have already posted about, and stop fecking about and wondering about this, that and the other.

You really can't go wrong with Mobil. Yes it's expensive....but it does what it says. Fit, forget and enjoy.

I like fecking about with oil choices! lol

Love bobistheoilguy forum! I never forget about the oil in my precious engine. I have oil OCD when I think about it warming up and protecting those precious metal parts in my engine when its running. I need help!

Edited by Brit24

I have been keeping an eye on this thread, I am still undecided as to which oild to use in my 1.9TDi (90). I do not know what is in it at moment but want to give the car a major service inc belts etc. The oil is the only thing holding me up, the fear of what might happen if I pick the fully synth good stuff I want. :( 

• 11 months later...

So far the fully synth 5w30 Triple QX has been great. Hardly lost a drop in the last 8 months.

Just had to top it up a little after a long trip to west Ireland.

Probably put in the same make but 5w40 next time as suggested. I put in 5w30 because I bought it by mistake.