Strange noise

Sounds like the hydraulic tappets are noisey. This can occasionally happen on any car with hydraulic tappets and is nothing too much to worry about as long as it goes away. It usually happens when the car has been standing for a few days or weeks. Is the car due for a service? Tell them when you take it in. Does the oil light go out immediately? Often an oil change and a good run with plenty of revs will sort the issue. If it doesn't then an engine flush may work wonders. I suggest this as your mileage is fairly low and this may have produced lots of crud in the engine over time and this can build up in the tappet ports causing a slow reaction from them at start up. I doubt any of the hydraulic tappets are faulty, although that cannot be ruled out. 

Well, from the facts given so far, I'll guess Skoda, Fabia, 2010, 1.2 TSI  25,000 miles. As well as the above reasons, it might just be a stretched chain and/or misbehaving tensioner, so do tell your dealer about this as that engine might just qualify for some "reduced costs" repair if it has a full dealer service history. Good luck!

Edit, maybe use the search function using "1.2 TSI engine problems" or something like that , maybe add "rattle at start up" - you will also find stuff on that topic in  www.seatcupra.net

Edited by rum4mo

Well, from the facts given so far, I'll guess Skoda, Fabia, 2010, 1.2 TSI 25,000 miles.

Apologies. Its not possible to see this on the mobile site.

There have been a few 1.2tsi's with a camchain rattle on start up. Ill try and find a thread...

Edit: just google 1.2 tsi camchain rattle. Theres loads of threads and even videos on it.

I understand the Cam Chain concerns as when I went to buy mine it rattled on start  up and having heard about some cam belt probs on early models it was the first thing I thought of.

The car had been standing in the indoor showroom for days and starting it up indoors just amplified the noise. As the seller was not a Skoda dealer I insisted I had the car checked out by Hortons Skoda in Lincoln prior to striking the deal.

They agreed and Hortons found nothing at all wrong and gave me a check list of all the checks they had done.

I have had the car over 12 months now without problems and the noise never did happen again.

I would have a health check done for peace of mind, could be dry tappets as Estate Man says.

Harry.