has the 1.4 TSI tuning scene progressed?

vRSy

Yes its a 1.4 and as standard is pushing reasonable power but i think with most modern engines there is room for tuning engine wise within safe limits. With this engine and a good map and healthy looked after engine 200-210 is safe aslong as you look after it. Oil changes, letting warming up, cool down... i used to have a starlet turbo and some were running 200bhp + from a 1.3 stock internals and had no problems. I think it depends on how you look after your engine and who has mapped it

There is clear capacity for tuning the engine even though the stock power is good for such a small engine and I agree that you have to look after it.  My concern though is that with the CAVE engine there was a clear issue of oil usage, which the CTHE appears to have resolved, but tolerances in such a tightly designed engine are key and will after a time go out of tolerance due to natural wear and I wonder how viable maintenance and upkeep of them will be (both CAVE and CTHE) in the long term.

However the real failing of the stock Mk2 vRS is the handling and for some the ride height, these are fairly quick and easy mods which offer substantial changes which make the car far better in the real world.  

F1 engines are 1.6

1.6 V6s yes, which as ever will be stripped down after every race with virtually every component replaced.  I agree that even modern petrol and diesel engines are still incredibly inefficient but my point is that I'm not sure that we have achieved the balance between power, efficiency and longevity yet.

The 1.4 TSI / TFSI is not a modern engine, it has been Engine of the year under 1400 cc for 9 years and has had high failure rates all over those 10 years since production started in various guises,

not only with Supercharger & Turbo,  just 1.4 TSI /TFSI with Turbos have had inherent Component faults..

(Calling all the various engines by the same name is confusing.)

http://volkswagen.co.uk/technology/petrol/tsi

Vorsprung Durch Technik.  'Not'

http://adamlewin.co.uk/vw-mk5-golf-tsi-engine-timing-chain-problem

Now they are at 1.4 TSI with Cylinder Deactivation & Turbos with the ACT / COD.

*Cylinders Deactivating & Reactivating on demand rather than just when there are random Coil, Plug and Valve Failures due to poor manufacturing.*

Other Manufacturers have moved on with 1.0 litre 2 & 3 Cylinder Engines with better technology and materials and components,

1.0 Litres easily and reliably making 125 bhp plus, in cars.

& those can be taken to the likes of 160 bhp and are not made of chocolate.

BMW are now doing 500 cc per cylinder engines & multiples of 500 cc, x 3, x4, x6 etc  so 1500, 2000, 2500, 3000 those so far appear reliable.

Really it is the Volkswagen Group that is behind the Curve with Engine Design, Quality Control & Longevity.

They appear now to be going down the Economy and low Emissions Route with Lower Powered Diesels in Audi Ultras, 

& the Power Route for the future is Electric Superchargers or Turbos, and Electric Motors.

It looks like Audi is now the Test Bed, and the VW, 

where it used to be SEAT.

Lets hope the dribble down provides the most Reliable and strong engines into the Skoda Range, even if the VWG have decided customers 

do not require sporty or interesting cars.

george

Edited by goneoffSKi