is this too much oil?

Hi guys, my local garage has just put oil in my car(fabia vrs), buy IM pretty sure they've over filled it, I've just checked, when warn like I always do and it's Upto the orange bit and a little over it, the part that's above where it should be, my question is, should I drain some out or will it just burn off as it does use quite a bit of oil, thanks

I'd say that's overfilled. When the engine is hot, you should see it at the top of the hatched area. When you mean warm, at what temp was the oil when you shut off the engine?

It might be worth checking when cold to get a comparison. The dipstick on these engines are terrible, you need to make sure your car is on a flat surface to get an accurate reading.

Yeah it's definitely overfilled,, is it as easy as just draining some out as it's new oil?

The garage balls'd it up so I'd be taking the car back and telling them to sort it.

• Like 1

Overfill if not drastic will do no damage to your engine. There will be more oil to churn by the crankshaft so more internal engine resistance but that's all. If much too much additional strain on oil seals will occure which may lead to work life shortening and failure.

As long as the engine is just started and run easily. Then noticed and the Oil reduced to the correct 3.6 litres.

But if Serviced or Topped up and then taken out for a Road Test by a muppet without a clue 'Factory Trained Technician'  as the blurb calls them,

or just some Dealership Technician or Fitter,

and thrashed from the off to get up to temp, then that is not so good.

Overfilling and such behaviour is a contribution to why so many of the first of the Early vRS that were Demonstrators engines failed,

and might be the reason for so many that had High Oil Consumption that only became obvious after Main Dealer Servicing.

Cars brand new, PDI, run by Sales staff as Demonstrators, maybe oil not checked until until a Warning Light came on, Topped Up,

or Over Topped up.

'Serviced' at 3,000 miles (Maybe). overfilled because that happens sometimes,

then issues with the next & first private owner.

Overfilling has been the reason for many of the 20-25% of the CAVE engines that have failed.

& if that is Nonesense, then it would be easy for VW,Skoda, Seat, Audi to say why they were failing in such number then.

Other than their Design, Components, Quality Control and Engine Management that caused much of the faults, 

until the revised the Engines & Engine Management with the Introduction of the CTHE, then getting that right after early failures with some of them.

george

Edited by goneoffSKi