The superlative Fabia VRS ( and we all know the model to which I refer !)

Good evening all ,

My 2003 Fabia VRS ( with me from new -  xenons, cruise , etc)  has just passed 205000 miles , still on the original clutch, turbo , exhaust and it is as quick, economical and reliable as it ever has been . The engine , steering and gearbox gel together as harmoniously as ever but alas it is really starting to look its age . The list of what has now ceased to work continues to grow along with the scrapes and rust spots. The random electrics are a consistent source of amusement to me ( ie when the central locking won't work on the driver's door and I use the key both electric windows occasionally decide to lower themselves for no reason at all ) but not my partner who has long ago refused to drive with me since duct tape has been holding my seat fabric together for the last 40k miles.

Is it time to quit while i am ahead ? Specced up new Octavia VRS ,  Golf GTD or Leon ST 184 are going to cost me between 20 and 25k even after discounts .

OR should I retrim that drivers seat in finest quality leather for £400 (yeah, should have done that three years ago ) and replace the leaking , blistering alloys with some from MY Tyres in Germany when ordering some new winter tyres , all in for a further £600 ?

It has cost me less than £2000 in repairs and servicing over the last 3 years and 50000 miles ( depreciation on a new one in the first week ! )

Hasn't it earned the right to let me down one cold wintry night up in the hills  before I pull the plug ? What do you reckon ?

• Like 1

With the potential for upcoming expense I'd sell it, spash a few thousand and buy a much newer version with much less miles.

But that's just my opinion.

Welcome to the forum by the way. :)

My 07 VRS is on 170k and I haven't had any issues with mine at all. The stone chips and light scratches (it is black) are the only problems but can't really moan with the mileage. I've recently got some mk4 golf recaros because my seats ended up like yours and it makes a massive difference.

I don't think I'll ever get rid of mine because it's worth more to me than I would ever get for it, but I don't have 25k to spash!

So buy yourself a new car and keep the fabia because you'll miss it!

But not a mk2 ;)

Well I expect you could get a decent 07 plate Fabia VRS diesel for around £4,500 with under 100k miles if you look for a little while.

So that's four years newer with over 100k miles less.

A clapped out VRS has got to be worth £1,000 minimum so that's less than £1,000 per year or £20 per week to upgrade.

• Like 1

I think he was refering to the VRS and the chance of it galloping past 200,000 miles reliably...

Aye i guessed as much, that and the whole 'oil guzzling' thing. soon be selling my missus mk1 comfort, then i can pass her my mk2 and i can grab myself a mk1 vrs :). such a shame the newer vrs's dont come in a diesel option :(

Thanks for the welcome and replies. Daft I know but I really am attached to the car (black also) and it really has become something of a game to see how long i can keep it going ( still gives me an enormous amount of pleasure every day i drive it ) and its increasing list of foibles does amuse me . Yes . I have thought of keeping it even if i get a new one because you're right , I will miss it , but the costs of taxing , insuring and maintaining a second car are hard to justify. I invariably keep my cars at least ten years (it was 12k new so a grand a year depreciation is pretty acceptable  . The only way I could justify "finding (borrowing!) " 20/25k for a new one is that again I would plan to keep it a similar time. I know, far more sensible to buy a two year old Octavia 168bhp  VRS and maintain that 1k a year depreciation. Would be very hard to leave my Skoda dealer too (up until recently Royce Roberts in Hull - now DM Keith) whose service has been excellent.

• Like 1