dull fog lights

hi all, i have noticed my foglight are really dull, i have upgraded all my front lights to LED so the car looks nice and bright at night now but the fog lights are a major let down, i have tried using some LED lights in the fog lights but they still seem dim, any ways on how i can improve these? i will eventually be fitting DLR's but for the mean time...

How do they look and perform in the Fog which is when they are for switching on. 

Do they help you see and be seen?

DRL's are obviously for Daylight / Daytime running, not at Night Time, and Fog lights are as the name suggests for using in the Fog or Reduced Visibility.

george

How do they look and perform in the Fog which is when they are for switching on. 

Do they help you see and be seen?

DRL's are obviously for Daylight / Daytime running, not at Night Time, and Fog lights are as the name suggests for using in the Fog or Reduced Visibility.

george

they are just poor quietly they hardly work in fog, if anything just creates a blur of light, i think i need more powerful bulbs, i have upgraded my headlamps to LED and Plasma Bulbs and they are fantastic just wish i could upgrade the fog lights to be brighter

More powerful bulbs in foglights = bad in fog. They are meant to be dull, if they were brighter they would be no use in fog at all because the the fog will light up like a white blanket. There intention is to light a very short area in front of the car, the beam is not directional so you only intentionally see a blur of light. The ideal colour temperature for foglights is yellow as that tends to cut through fog better than bright white, that's why until very recently France mandated that all foglights had to be yellow. EU legislation made them become white otherwise they would still be yellow.

I've turned my Audi ones on twice in 8 months, and one of those was to see if they worked, for the tiny amount of time they are used then I would not bother using upgraded bulbs.

• Like 2

More powerful bulbs in foglights = bad in fog. They are meant to be dull, if they were brighter they would be no use in fog at all because the the fog will light up like a white blanket. There intention is to light a very short area in front of the car, the beam is not directional so you only intentionally see a blur of light. The ideal colour temperature for foglights is yellow as that tends to cut through fog better than bright white, that's why until very recently France mandated that all foglights had to be yellow. EU legislation made them become white otherwise they would still be yellow.

I've turned my Audi ones on twice in 8 months, and one of those was to see if they worked, for the tiny amount of time they are used then I would not bother using upgraded bulbs.

thanks for the post, very interesting and i guess i will just have to put up with them then :( i have a few nice ideas for my car, will post a few pictures when its all done in a few months time