Columbus firmware update & maps

First off, apologies if the info is staring me in the face but I've had a search and can't find where to get hold of a disc with a newer firmware version so I can update my columbus to accept 7 digit post codes.

I've just bought my car and I'm certain it's never had any update to either maps or firmware. It's a 2009 model and if I hold down set up then I don't get any info so I'm assuming it's the one of the earliest columbus units.

Is there anywhere I can buy a disc to update the firmware? I've seen plenty of maps discs for sale on eBay but can't find the firmware. I've seen links to d/load and burn the files but I've tried in the last to update my old BMW maps this way and failed miserably!

Thanks all :-)

This has a list:

http://www.my-gti.com/category/in-car-entertainment/rns-510-in-car-entertainment

This is the latest:

http://www.my-gti.com/3887/volkswagen-rns-510-firmware-upgrade-to-version-5269

I ran the update on mine yesterday, took around 45 minutes.

Edited by RainbowFire

Cheers, appreciate the links but I'm looking for someone who could supply the firmware on a disc that's suitable for my early columbus unit so I can update the maps to 7 digit postcode compatible.

Either that or a dummies guide on how to burn it!

This has a list:

http://www.my-gti.com/category/in-car-entertainment/rns-510-in-car-entertainment

This is the latest:

http://www.my-gti.com/3887/volkswagen-rns-510-firmware-upgrade-to-version-5269

I ran the update on mine yesterday, took around 45 minutes.

Thanks for the info, my 2010 EOS has the 5 digit postcode problem & I'd like to update it if it's possible.

I don't know what soft / firm ware it has installed, but I'll peek into setup, maybe the info will be there.

DC

First off, get access to the sticker on the casing of the Columbus.

Then post the full part number (9 or 10 characters) along with the HW & SW numbers off the sticker.

Trying to upgrade to the wrong firmware may brick your headunit.

The second link above is unlikely to work on a factory fitted Columbus from 2009/10.

IMO there is no point going beyond 4120 unless you have a Columbus with DAB built in.

If you get to the 'Radio' menu by holding down the 'Setup' button, you may see three options: AM, FM & another (can't remember what it is called off too of head - possibly 'Version Info').

This will tell you the current software version not the factory hardware version. It's the latter that is important to know before you start upgrading firmware, hence the request to look at the sticker.

Well done, but that's quite an early one.

Your best bet is '3810a' firmware.

It's 3810 modified for older units such as yours.

There is the possibility of newer firmware with a patch on top to make it work.

Best bet is a PM to 'adamal' as he's the expert on these units.

• Like 1

I'm a newbie, having just got my first Skoda (April 2013 Superb - great!)

My Columbus is 3T0 035 680K, H/ware H09, S/W 5238, Map HDD 7918

Everything I've read on the forum seems to tell me I should have 7 digit postcode search, but it only takes 5 digits - can anyone please tell me if have I missed something?

No need for another disc, I left it to cycle through a few more times and it's downloaded, all done. Now on version 4024 firmware and V11 maps.

Thanks to all those who helped, much appreciated.

I have this issue, same firmware, v9 discs doing exactly the same. I am awaiting v7.1 and v8 discs to try.

How many times did you retry this before it finally worked and how long did it take?

Just updated my new satnav, its a 2009 unit.

I used this firmware https://docs.google.com/uc?id=0ByTpaBJxxQsBY1RJNVBXajB6OEE&export=download

Firmware - 4020 (7 digit post code)

Volkswagen RNS 510 Firmware Upgrade to version 4020 / 4024 / 4026 / 4028

Version 4020/4024/4026/4028 firmware for the Volkswagen RNS 510 and the Skoda Columbus has been released.

• Voice Control (requires microphone – see Volkswagen RNS 510 Microphone Connection for voice control)
  • NEW Faster navigation and user interface
  • NEW Automatic illumination control
  • NEW Enhanced destination input
  • NEW hold down the setup button for 30 seconds and get the following menus: FM, AM and the new VERSION INFO (map version and type, hw and sw versions)
  • NEW Compass
  • NEW POI- see Volkswagen RNS 510 Maps POI – New Features with firmware 3xxx
  • NEW Languages – Arabic, Russian, Turkish and Polish
  • Speed Limit Display
  • Stability Improvements
  • Faster Startup (this has been improved on 2720)
  • Display OPS and RVC at the same time
  • SDHC 32 GB Support (HW04 and above)
  • Display Off on extras tab
  • Climatronic control if approriate climatronic fitted
  • Clock display if RNS 510 swtiched off
  • Excluded roads (under route options)
  • GPS coordinates entry
  • Additional adjustments for video
  • Larger RVC screen with transparent menus at the side
Units that can be upgraded include (still being compiled may not be 100%)
  • All D and later versions.
  • 1T0 035 680 C (1T0035680 C) from software version 1000, 800, 900, 1100 , 2660 and 2700 to version 3810.
  • 3T0 035 680 A (3T0035680A) to version 2704.
  • 7F0 035 680 (7F0035680) to version 2700.
  • 7E0 035 680 (7E0035680) to version 2700.
  • Revision B and C units can be upgraded however there may be issues (A units may be upgraded but not recommended).

You will need a maps DVD after.

Slightly random but I now have v9 maps on the HDD. I used the v9 disc in the DVD drive to travel 45 or so minutes this afternoon. Didnt think anything of it and and when I got home following the return journey and ejected the discs, the maps had copied?

fdaeac07687fba023dfec8002de47347.jpg

167106f94bf09db62454b4bbf1bb0d58.jpg

I am obviously delighted to have v9 maps on the HDD but confused as to how it has happened.