DIY chrome grille repaint

Thought I'd do a quick write up of how to repaint the front grille. Getting it off the car is the easy part just use an empty 6mm socket for the plastic clips and a hex bit for the screws - mind the washers dont fall into the engine bay!

Removing the chrome from the plastic takes a lot of patience but it is possible - start with the under side and a screwdriver. (don't attempt if very cold - plastic snaps easily when cold)

20140819_140929_resized.jpg

Once the bottom edge is free, move around to the sides of the grille

20140819_140657_resized.jpg

Then move to the badge surround using a smaller screwdriver and gently pull apart pushing on the back of the badge with your thumb

20140819_144315_resized.jpg

Then move to the bottom edge of the top of the grill and do the same pushing the chrome away through the gaps

20140819_144914_resized.jpg

Now seperate the two!

20140819_145341_resized.jpg

mask up or remove the badge if swapping the badge over at the same time (didn't swap mine yet) then scratch up the chrome finish with some fine glass paper (I used 240 grit) then spray up with lots of thin layers of plastic primer (grey)

20140820_071505_resized.jpg

Smooth out after lots of layers with some very fine glass paper. Hit it with some matching paint (race blue courtesy of eBay!) lots of thin coats 15 mins between them

20140820_135124_resized.jpg

looks nothing like race blue color and won't until lots of layers and the lacquer is applied (I used a full can!)  - the light in my shed is rubbish too.

20140821_081746_resized.jpg

Finished grille, minus the masking tape used on the badge! to put it back together i used a blanket and followed the order i removed it in reverse. Very satisfying to click back in the sides can be tough though.

BEFORE:

20140819_134736_resized.jpg

AFTER:

20140821_083145_resized.jpg

Very pleased with the final result. Badge next maybe? Looks very OEM but much better than chrome IMO.

• Like 4