Octavia greenline III mpg

I will crusie on motorways around 75-80mph and that returns 65mpg (up to 70mpg if just me in the car) providing I concentrate on slowing down on uphills and gradually accelerating on the downhills.

On a related note I assume it has a 50litre tank? We refuel it when the light comes on and it tends to take 41litres or so. How far have people run it past the 0 miles remaining point?! I'm not brave enough to go too far beyond that (I've managed 5-10 maybe) but I was wondering what I could actually get out of a tank at say 62mpg.

Getting 65mpg at 75/80 mph is actually very, very good.

The tank is nominally 50 litres but holds at least 55 litres when brimmed (based on one brave contributors efforts). I regularly fill my petrol with 50 litres and even have 20 km to go indicated on the distance on the maxidot.

The diesel empty indicators are definitely more conservative and may be due to the problems associated with actually running out of fuel on a diesel or the pump in the tank requires more 'cooling' from the contents (pumping a thicker brew?).

If you switch you maxidot to metric display then based on kilometres covered and fuel consumption (litres/100) achieved on the tank to date, then it is easier to assess how much fuel is left in the tank.

Getting 65mpg at 75/80 mph is actually very, very good.The tank is nominally 50 litres but holds at least 55 litres when brimmed (based on one brave contributors efforts). I regularly fill my petrol with 50 litres and even have 20 km to go indicated on the distance on the maxidot.The diesel empty indicators are definitely more conservative and may be due to the problems associated with actually running out of fuel on a diesel or the pump in the tank requires more 'cooling' from the contents (pumping a thicker brew?).If you switch you maxidot to metric display then based on kilometres covered and fuel consumption (litres/100) achieved on the tank to date, then it is easier to assess how much fuel is left in the tank.

First time I filled it, it was 41 litres to first click, 2nd time 43 point something, with the display telling me I had 5 miles left (I wasn't panicking). But even this at about 600 miles is nearly double the range of my old Focus - not much fussed about squeezing every last drop out of it.

The last run wasn't as high as 80mph, it was cruising more like 72 I think. Wow, I'm such at rebel. I think dropping a few mph did make a difference, combined with the easing back on 2 hills and general smooth driving. On the way up (same route) I got 66mph, I was probably cruise controlling a bit higher.

Basically I'm starting to game driving for economy. Kinda sad thing to do I realise, but ulitmately it's all in a good cause. I'm one of those who thinks we need to start weaning off oil, and bought the Greenline with that in mind. Hoping that it might be my last new car that needs oil at all.

Edited by noiseboy

Same M25 motorway trip today hit 77 before coming off the motorway, ended up around 75 after a bit of urban at the end. It was good traffic - 72ish for the first 2/3rds then down to 60 on the variable speed limit stretch.

Economy gaming is surprisingly fun...

• Like 1

Same M25 motorway trip today hit 77 before coming off the motorway, ended up around 75 after a bit of urban at the end. It was good traffic - 72ish for the first 2/3rds then down to 60 on the variable speed limit stretch.

Economy gaming is surprisingly fun...

A pretty good effort.

We do not have many miles of motorway where I live but cruising at 70mph my petrol 1.4tsi is only good for 55 mpg. Just to give some indication of the relative engine efficiencies.

Of course the gaming must be done legally, no tailgating or obstruction of other traffic. Otherwise we are just as bad as the hooning fraternity :)

Edited by Gerrycan
  • Like 1

The best I have seen from mine was this week. A trip from Swansea to Birmingham and back via Cardiff returned just over 64 mpg. Due to the traffic I just put into eco and around 60-65 mph. Fuel gauge showed just over half left with 300 miles covered. Best ever for my car which now has 26,000 on the clock.

A pretty good effort.We do not have many miles of motorway where I live but cruising at 70mph my petrol 1.4tsi is only good for 55 mpg. Just to give some indication of the relative engine efficiencies.Of course the gaming must be done legally, no tailgating or obstruction of other traffic. Otherwise we are just as bad as the hooning fraternity :)

Ha, not quoted as obsessed as tailgating yet, but it's a thought...

The journey back I decided to push things a little more, so cruised at 68 dropping to a pensioner-like 60 for the uphills. 79.1 - tantalisingly close to the 80 barrier. 60 all the way should smash it, but my residual memory of youth will probably always prevent me going that far.

Just made a short trip this evening behind a real pensioner who insisted on 25mph in the 30 zone and 35 in the 40. A few hills, overall downhill a bit probably - amazed to see it did 70 over the journey, so even slow can be economical. Very impressed still.

Ha, not quoted as obsessed as tailgating yet, but it's a thought...

The journey back I decided to push things a little more, so cruised at 68 dropping to a pensioner-like 60 for the uphills. 79.1 - tantalisingly close to the 80 barrier. 60 all the way should smash it, but my residual memory of youth will probably always prevent me going that far.

Just made a short trip this evening behind a real pensioner who insisted on 25mph in the 30 zone and 35 in the 40. A few hills, overall downhill a bit probably - amazed to see it did 70 over the journey, so even slow can be economical. Very impressed still.

It is 30 years since I left the UK and about 10 years since I last drove there and it amazed me how much more traffic there was and how nose-to-tail it was especially on motorways.

If I left my usual 3 seconds distance to the car/truck in front, someone always dropped into the gap. I think normal motorway driving, if it is busy will give you quite high economic benefits from the artificial tailwind anyway.

Your other point about the potential for good economy in urban environments is very valid. This is reflected in the official fuel consumption test figures.

If you actually drove your car on a dead flat road (20 Deg ambient temperature, without ancillaries on etc) following the official profile you would get pretty near what they claim.

If I can get a decent run in an Adelaide urban area in light traffic then I can actually beat the official figures for my car, keeping pretty much to the (low) official speed limits and using a lot of anticipation and again avoiding affecting other drivers (as your pensioner did).

What kills my overall average is the ridiculous number of short (less than four km) trips the car does.

Out of curiosity what does your Greenline show as consumption in litres per hour when ticking over stationary and no ancillaries on? My old 1.9 Mk 2 diesel used to show 0.5 l/hour and my current mk3 1.4tsi petrol shows 0.4 l/hour. This is when warmed up of course.

Edited by Gerrycan

Gerrycan - whoa, that'll take some psychological adjustment after the manic fuel-saving to see what it burns at idle...

I definitely also notice that the car at cold has worse mpg, and of course lots of stop/starts.

Gerrycan - whoa, that'll take some psychological adjustment after the manic fuel-saving to see what it burns at idle...

I definitely also notice that the car at cold has worse mpg, and of course lots of stop/starts.

You have probably got your maxidot display set to imperial mpg but if you set it to metric litres/100 km then it will show you the litres/hour burn rate when at idle. It will also show consumption on overrun (in-gear it will be zero) or when coasting (out of gear or with clutch dis-engaged).

Having a Greenline you would also have to turn off the stop/start.

I was just curious how much it had improved over the 1.9D if at all.

You could call it "idle" curiosity. :)

(Sadly, I laugh at my own jokes)

• 1 month later...

Just completed 10K in a tad over 6months. Average over that time is just under 65mpg!! That's at least 20mpg better than the previous car a Berlingo 2.0HDi. A saving of approx 70 gallons equating to £400. Not to be sniffed at!