Miss fire, now it's eaten it's spark plugs :(

Smudgerii

Ally, from the top pic of all 4 shows there lookin all good just ready for a change.

I agree, I was pleasantly surprised with the condition. Considering I use 1l of oil every 3k miles and run a tuning box!

Just shows that VAG's service schedule is bullocks and plugs need to be changed a lot earlier than advised. I think this issue needs to be highlighted more than the oil consumption.

• Like 1

Funny, two differing opinions on my plugs. I reckon there ok but as sharkrider says a little rich-hence the black deposits on the rim and no white specs on the ceramic below the tip. Iv not looked that far into it as I rarely top up the oil - twice in 10k, so I don't mean to dismiss your comments Jabozuma but I'm just going on my research. Bearing in mind my car is fitted with a tuning box.

May I assume richness means lower egts than if running lean?

Ally, from the top pic of all 4 shows there lookin all good just ready for a change.

Not at all, the opinions are not different at all :). What I wrote was the read of the park plugs i.e. looking at the plugs to assess the combustion process conditions. Plugs are OK, nothing wrong with them, should be still working OK. They just show what is going on in the cylinders.

Ally's plugs bar one also show clear evidence of oil burning and running too rich but are fine i.e. not damaged with clear spark path.

If you remove the plugs after a 500 mile trip down the Motorway, or a Sunday Afternoon Thrash, or a Sunday Track Session,

they might well look different from what they look like on a Friday after 200 miles of use over 5 days in town or city.

as long as the plugs are getting cleaned and not cooked or over oiled there is no issues.

But there is a Cylinder on the  1.4 TSI CAVE & CTHE that gets overheated because of the Design of the System,

ie inlet manifold /turbo.

Lots of heat, and a major reason for VW changing the Engine Management (MAP) & Fueling , that was with the ECU Update for the CAVE, then when the CTHE was introduced.

What they did not change was the Hardware, ie the Inlet Manifold.

* Or sensibly,  change the Service Schedule, and given Technical Information to Technicians & Workshops.*

But that is VW for you, they are a huge Engine Manufacturer, admit nothing, and it was never wrong, or an issue.

It is a case of knowing the Plugs are good for the use they are being given.

The Service Schedule is 40,000 mile still currently, and people say theirs have been OK to 30,000 mile plus,

& others have Plugs or 1 Plug failing between 15,000 - 25,000 Miles.

Some even less mileage than that.

Feed them Good Fuel & Oil, watch the Filters & Plugs according to use.

& speak to the Servicing Technician about your Servicing Requirements, or Question Skoda about Premature Spark Plug Failure.

There are issues with Spark Plugs and the requirement for the fitting of Quality Plugs,

& just be aware of the issues.

Not all Misfires show on a Technician Plugging in to Diagnose, because the Misfire with a Failing Plug might happen only between 2,400 - 3,500 

when you are on it with Super Charger & Turbo, or fully on it above 3,500 rpm.

If you get a Warning Light, EPC or Exhaust Management, you lift off, and you might, try again to see if you have Lights come on.

Unless you have Enough Misfires therd might be No Misfires Recorded.

If you do have enough, the Turbo can be Disabled & you are in Limp Mode.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/325949-trouble-with-my-vrs-today

Edited by goneoffSKi

It's a good point adding what sorts of journeys have an affect on the plugs Goneoffski, Was just writing something similar to that. I do a fair few short runs which may well explain the oil burning look on my plugs. The mixture also richens up with higher revs (on my car) which could suggest ally enjoys a good taz around fairly often ;)

• Like 2

My car is rich when cold, and when driving around towns, and the Soot Builds in the Exhaust System and then blasts out when booted.

I do not find a Twin Charger to be running rich when up to operating temperature.

Thats why they are most economic on fuel with around 2,400 - 3500 rpm.

They use the fuel required when used more sportingly.

& used more sportingly and at higher revs the Spark Plugs should be clean of oil and not getting cooked.

But as i said, there is a design flaw, and one Cylinder & Spark Plug gets cooked.

It is easy to see the one that it is.

You often can spot a failing plug by the drop off in performance and the rise in fuel use, from like to like use.

A Twincharger can perform quite well at less than Full Performance and unless you are regularly over the NSL by 50 %

you might never get a Warning Misfire other than underload and hard acceleration.

When you do get a Cylinder Misfire and the Turbo Disabled , say in an Outside Lane or an overtake,

you are liable to make sure it never happens .

Spark Plugs are not an Expensive Consumable if you want to use the cars performance.

It is a pitty that VW do not fit better plugs suitable for the engine as a standard fitment.

& that the people that work on the are not more aware of the issue.

Edited by goneoffSKi

The mixture also richens up with higher revs (on my car) which could suggest ally enjoys a good taz around fairly often ;)

Haha! Very good point,

Just for info, I do 300 miles per week 80% of which on the motorway at a normal 70mph (seriously). I am a firm believer that this engine needs a redline per day to keep it healthy and running smooth. Therefore I just give her what she needs on every journey.

• Like 2

& A bit of a Redlining before you end your journey and park up is always good for nice clean plugs when you start up next time.

Its not a Engine / Turbo that needs cooling down if you are at least slowing a bit before stopping

and the fluid temps are pretty much near lowered before you turn the key to off.

But maybe a bit of a cooling down run is advised if the oil was up in the 100 plus.

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

Stuff that for a game of soldiers, that is normal operating temperature & the engines design copes with that very well.

I am into KFC, sat down, and eaten, maybe eaten more,  and back in the car before it is back down to 92*oC.

I meant when above 100 -maybe 110*oC  or more.

Sorry just to clarify a bit for the 'less informed' (me) are we to pretty much expect one plug to look different than the others? Replaced mine last week and was told they were spot on. All looked identical. I assume I had new ones in when I had my engine replaced. (Although we all know not to assume anything with VAG. I was told I had new plugs though.) I changed them at a very early mileage point if they were new. (7k)

Do not expect one plug to look different,

you have a new engine, it should have new plugs, and the ECU should have the latest Software.

If a car is starting to misfire, the fueling is possibly wrong, the map is possibly not correct, it maybe has not had 98 ron fuel, 

then it can commonly be just one Cylinder, or the Plug & possibly the Ignition coil might be suffering, and can be the cause of issues.

It is not how the engine is designed to behave.,

The Standard Factory Fit Plugs are not that good, and some certainly are not seeing anything near 40,000 miles life.

Other do just fine.

I hope you kept the Spark Plugs taken out at 7,000 miles.

I would not hesitate to use them after inspecting them closely.

They surely are good for double that mileage.

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

Yeah mines not misfiring. Ive still got the plugs. I swapped them for the uprated set just as I had them already. As said, they are all the same so alls good. They were replaced when I got the engine. Just checked the invoice. Ecu update was done too.

Do you mean you are getting rid of it ?

Yes, it's got to go...

Love driving it, but no confidence in the model anymore. 

Need reliabilty, I can get thrills on my motorbike, and who would have thought an Italian bike would be far more robust and reliable than what is fundametally a German car.  Went in with my eyes open but hoped it would have been better than it turned out to be, performance can only go so far to cover the models shortcomings...

• Like 1

Yes, it's got to go...

Love driving it, but no confidence in the model anymore. 

Need reliabilty, I can get thrills on my motorbike, and who would have thought an Italian bike would be far more robust and reliable than what is fundametally a German car.  Went in with my eyes open but hoped it would have been better than it turned out to be, performance can only go so far to cover the models shortcomings...

That's exactly where I got to with mine, It was perfect after the new engine had been fitted but ultimately I couldn't trust it anymore  :|

EM

Your loss is someone else's gain , unfortunately for you - with a £4500 new lump having been installed.

Such a shame. I would have had at least 2000 miles of fun first.

I wonder how many owners who had a new lump put in ,just got rid?

Edited by vrskeith

I lasted 12 months, but had finances allowed prob would have been sooner

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How bad was the 12 months experience?

Was it the CTHE spec replacement?

The 12 months were fine, but it was the fact I was still driving with a galon of oil in the boot and didn't trust that the car would get me from Manchester to Bournemouth when required which meant it had to go...

If I hadn't have had the issues I did, I would still be driving the Fabia...

I believe I got a CTHE but tbh I can't remember now, It is in one of the many topics I've created...

EM