Brake cable insecure and brake cable casing damaged. Serious issue? How much to repair?

yus786

Gave my car in for a recall with the DSG box. They did a spot check thing and came up with the following:

Offside brake cable insecure

Offside and nearside brake cable casing damaged.

Is it a serious issue? They're quoting me something like £120 to fix, where could I get it fixed cheaper?

Cheers in advance

That'd be the handbrake cable they are talking about. It's not serious par se but must be remedied to avoid future problems. It will begin to cause a sticking handbrake situation if left too long as water will get into the cable along with grit. It sound to me from your description of the problem that you need a new rear handbrake cable and someone to fit it if you cannot do that yourself. It also sounds as if one side of the cable had come out of it's securing clip and is hanging unassisted. You may get it done cheaper but £120 to fix is not too far out of the ball park for that job from a main dealer imho. 

• Like 1

I would imagine replacement cables will be about £10 each, the rest is labour.

Assuming they are the same sort of setup as the Octavia they are fairly straightforward to change, PROVIDED the old cable will come out of the guide tube easily. I had to cut the cable and drill the plastic piece out of the guide tube under the car.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

• Like 1