High level brake light - a heads up

drw8

Noticed that only the outer 3 led's on both sides were working. So dismantled the boot trim and light, powered the led strip with an external source and they all worked. Then checked the voltage at the connector/plug with the car running and got 14.3v

So built the light back up and its working properly. So before buying a new unit, just disconnect the light and plug it back in again.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Found my rear washer pipe had detached but little sign of water in there, light bit of corrosion on plugs so cleaned up and refitted, little tap of the actual strip itself and its working fine again

went to move car so had it running, wiper,washer and brake light fine...strange but happy, had only disconnected and reconnected the two block connectors in the boot again so no idea why suddenly working fine

I put a post about this on years ago -- just the 3 outer LEDs working, and the same 3 outer ones glowing dimly all the time. It was the electrical connections behind the side boot trim that had been soaked in washer fluid after the washer pipe had come apart.

Mike

yea I found your post when searching which helped track down possible issues so hoping it was the washer pipe detaching and spraying

I put a post about this on years ago -- just the 3 outer LEDs working, and the same 3 outer ones glowing dimly all the time. It was the electrical connections behind the side boot trim that had been soaked in washer fluid after the washer pipe had come apart.

Mike

Mine did this and it was the boot lights shorting across to the high level brake light.

Mind you I also found the brake light was full of water, so I changed it too.

• 2 months later...

Looks like having only the outer 3 LED's working is sort of a warning that the unit is going to give up the ghost.

Symptoms came back a few days ago, so took it all apart/un-plugging it and plugging it back in a few times failed to get it working correctly. Connected an external power source and only the 3 outer LED's illuminated. Checked each LED with a multi-meter and they all worked individually, checked the resistance of each resistor and they were all working as per their coloured bands. Circuit board wasnt showing any signs of being burnt out or water damage. So at a loss.

Bought a replacement from TPS for £38 and working fine again.