Sawtooth tyres again, on the front this time

I know that the issue of sawtoothed tyres is common on the rear of the Superb, but it would seem that I have this on the front as well?

Is there a known problem that causes this? I was beginning to think I had a wheel bearing on its way out, but I've since discovered the odd wear on the fronts which is what I assume is making the noise.

Unusual, but not unheard of on the front, suspension and geo check probably all that's needed, but those tyres will always be sawtoothed, so you might have to put up with the noise until they require renewal,

What make of tyres are they ?

Sent from Richies iPad

I never knew sawtoothing was common on the MkII Superb, MkII Octavia vRS yes.

I've just had the original Pirelli P7's replaced on the rear of my 2011, 50,000 mile Superb SE as they were shot. They'd been droning really bad for the last 5,000 miles but I was determined to get as much out of them as possible.

When the tyre fitter took them off he was shocked at the wear of the tread, it really was worryingly distorted - a clear case of sawtoothing.

The fronts however were fine until they needed replacing.

Yep, my tyres are scalloped (sawtoothed).  I had the dealer check, he said alignment was fine.  Had a suspension guy check, he said the rear was out a bit but not a huge amount.

Problem is I've only done 33,000km and still have 5-7mm tread left so I'l have to put up with it for at least another 20,000km.

They are Pirelli Cinturato (came from factory with these).

Yep, my tyres are scalloped (sawtoothed).  I had the dealer check, he said alignment was fine.  Had a suspension guy check, he said the rear was out a bit but not a huge amount.

Problem is I've only done 33,000km and still have 5-7mm tread left so I'l have to put up with it for at least another 20,000km.

That mileage isn't bad if you get over 50k kms on the set, especially with the 4x4!

Yep, my tyres are scalloped (sawtoothed). I had the dealer check, he said alignment was fine. Had a suspension guy check, he said the rear was out a bit but not a huge amount.

Just done an 18k service on a Volvo S60 with these tyres fitted, worn almost smooth on very inside edge of both front tyres, rest of tread at 5mm, I'm guessing it won't be long before the cords are showing on these, nothing on the car suggests that the alignment is massively out though,

Maybe the tyre carcass isn't up to the job on the inner edges ? Hence your sawtoothing

Sent from Richies iPad

• 2 weeks later...

This is weird, although i am so pleased that someone can keep hold of tyres for that long.....

My fronts wore out at 9.8k

My rears are just above the wear makers at 16.5k..... (i do carry heavy loads hence the beaut)

That mileage isn't bad if you get over 50k kms on the set, especially with the 4x4!

Dunno, I'm used to getting more.  My 07 Jetta got 70,000 out of the factory Continential SC2, and 75,000 out of the brake rotors. They were 205/16 though so I don't expect the 225/17 to last as long on the Superb.

I'm pretty anal about tyre pressures though.

Dunno, I'm used to getting more. My 07 Jetta got 70,000 out of the factory Continential SC2, and 75,000 out of the brake rotors. They were 205/16 though so I don't expect the 225/17 to last as long on the Superb.

I'm pretty anal about tyre pressures though.

I used to get 70k kms or thereabouts on 15 and 16" wheels on Octavias. This dropped to just over 50k kms on my last Superb, which was on 17s. These were all Pirellis BTW and driving/roads wereroughly the same. Looks like 30k to 35k on current 18" contis. Definitely a noticeable difference alright

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk