Citigo ASG TCU Recall

Polemicist

Heads-up to anyone else who has had - or is about to have - recall work undertaken.

My '62 plate Citigo Elegance ASG has been to the garage today for a year 2 inspection, and as part of the service, there was work undertaken for two recalls:

24AI recall (engine control unit - fan control)

3713 recall (transmission control unit - 'enhancement')

The reason given for the transmission 'enhancement' was a replacement control unit (I saw the dealer's invoice to Skoda; a cool £419...) to deal with erroneous signals.

I can't say I notice any difference in the quality of the car's gear change (still poor), but it no longer has the correct gear indication in the MFD. Moving from 'D' to 'M' changes the illuminated symbol on the transmission selector quadrant, but the LCD display does to show the car in 'M' mode, and the gear position no longer changes when the gears are shifted up or down manually.

I have contacted the dealer and they said it was the first TCU changed by them, and that the technician evidently did not check the car in 'M' mode. They have placed a technical query with Skoda.

One does wonder if any beta checking is done factory-side now or whether it's the customer who has now assumed this role.

Edited by Polemicist

My elegance asg was in for service last week and the dealer also carried out recall work. Same two items as well. I have to admit I've not noticed any difference. Surprised I didn't get a recall notice before I booked the service. Maybe they regarded the recall as "not urgent" but I think skoda should still have contacted owners.

• Like 1

Update.

As well as driving around-and-about for much of the day, I used the car yesterday evening for a c. 65 miles round-trip, over a familiar route.

I will do further monitoring, but my gut is telling me the car is not as economical as it was prior to the 'product enhancement'; my usual indicated MPG on the PID is 59 - 60 mpg. Yesterday's indicated MPG is 57.4.

I am convinced the transmission is displaying a slightly different character; it appears to hang-on to the gears longer than previously. 

This could all be psychosomatic of course given that the car obviously has an issue after the work...

I'm included to ask the dealer to refit the old TCU, on the basis that if it wasn't broke (at least for me...) then don't fix it.

The last post is interesting, my new Elegance with ASG, shows 57.6 or thereabouts for average consumption & to me, a newcomer to the car, the box seems to go into the next gear up rather quickly. The quality of the change does vary but can be controlled to some extent by the way it is driven.

I have had a response from the dealer; it's to ask 'When can I take my car back in?'. 

I don't think so. 

Taking the car back to the dealer is a 50 miles round-trip, a ball-ache, time consuming and a major PITA for me. I might have been more sympathetic were it not that that a return visit is required to rectify a fault caused by a 'product enhancement'...

The dealer's Skoda Master Technician has advised me that the response from Skoda Technical at Milton Keynes is that they are unaware of the issue and have suggested that the battery is disconnected and the system left to 'settle down' for a short while, and that coding (presumably in the TCU?) is reset.

The Skoda technical 'fix' doesn't sound too encouraging.

I await a call from the dealer's service manager to advise what's next...

>The dealer's Skoda Master Technician has advised me that the response from Skoda Technical at Milton Keynes is that they are unaware of the issue and have suggested that the battery is disconnected and the system left to 'settle down' for a short while, and that coding (presumably in the TCU?) is reset.

This sounds to me like the IT department's response to any PC problem "Turn it OFF, leave it for a few minutes then turn it back ON". :giggle:

Also similar to my ISPs response to a recent problem I had when unable to connect to the internet. My login name in the router had got corrupted somehow and wouldn't login. I was told the same and if I had accepted their "advice" I wouldn't be able to post this reply! :devil: 

Fred

No call from the service manager on Monday or Tuesday, so I am going to have to pursue this.

I am not impressed that the Service Manager had his master technician contact me initially, and less impressed that I am having to call him.

After 4 days of use, the car's MPG is not as it was, and whilst it may be the new engine control unit responsible for this, I would suspect that the transmission's propensity not to change up as early as it used to is the cause.

I am minded to request that the car be de-enhanced.

As an aside, the ASG is a pretty nasty piece of engineering, which is presumably cheap to manufacture. This Citigo - previously my mum's - replaced a Toyota iQ. The iQ's CVT was in a completely different league - as was the car overall. As ever, you gets what you pays for...

Had you written that all in upper-case, you would've been bang-on-the mark apropos the TCU...

FRED - F*cking Ridiculous Electronic Device

I'll have you know that there's nothing electronic about my device! :giggle:

Fred

Confirmation today that the car is being collected from home next week...

... but somewhat frustratingly, it hasn't been a smooth process to do so.

At the end of May 2014, the dealer was visited, by me, in person, to change the ownership details from my deceased mum's, specifically as the vehicle has a Skoda prepaid service plan and 5 years extended warranty. I was advised by the Silbury Service Adviser that the change of owner for the service plan and warranty could only be carried out by Skoda UK, and it would be necessary for me to contact them. Which I did.

At this visit to the dealer, I provided the service adviser with my name, address, and contact details to ensure their database was updated. The details were written down by the adviser to make the changes.

Fast forward three months and when telephoning to book in the car for its recent inspection, the service adviser said the registration for the vehicle was under a different name and address; once again I provided my details as the new owner.

When physically booking the car in for its inspection service, when I gave my name, there was no record of it.  The service adviser located the documentation by the car's registration number; the ownership details were incorrect, they were still my late mum's. I again asked for the database record to corrected. To ensure this, my name, address and contact details were written down, on the booking documentation, to be changed.

And today, when confirming with the service manger the collection address for my car, the service manger has said that the vehicle is 'in our system under a different name and address'.

FFS

Edited by Polemicist

The Citigo was collected by the dealer, punctually, yesterday morning and returned mid-afternoon.

I have been advised a new code was input for the TCU.

All now sorted and the manual mode display for the transmission is now working correctly.

The MPG of the car will continued to be monitored.

• 2 weeks later...

that took a while!! shame about the address details, but its only a admin/record on a computer, no one hurt, just frustrating. The systems arent exactly all wired together as you might think, many dealers are just franchisees not hard wired into a skoda it system

Glad its sorted :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...

A young female friend of mine purchased a New 75 bhp Elegance ASG, just about a year ago . She loves it and the car as no completed 10,000 and had it's 1st service approx. a couple of weeks ago.

Prior to her putting the car in for service, I mentioned to her to check on picking the car up ,if on the invoice the service technician had outlined an update to the ASG. 

She mentioned to me a few days later that it had received an update, and the car seemed ok.

Now a few weeks on, she tells me that she is having problem engaging Reverse, under certain operating condition/situation. The car is booked in today, so hopefully will learn later if they have found the problem and actioned  the correct resolution.

My question is ,have other owners experienced such a problem engaging reverse after the update on the ASG?

Edited by vrskeith

• 1 year later...
On 7/3/2015 at 14:24, vrskeith said:

A young female friend of mine purchased a New 75 bhp Elegance ASG, just about a year ago . She loves it and the car as no completed 10,000 and had it's 1st service approx. a couple of weeks ago.

Prior to her putting the car in for service, I mentioned to her to check on picking the car up ,if on the invoice the service technician had outlined an update to the ASG. 

She mentioned to me a few days later that it had received an update, and the car seemed ok.

Now a few weeks on, she tells me that she is having problem engaging Reverse, under certain operating condition/situation. The car is booked in today, so hopefully will learn later if they have found the problem and actioned  the correct resolution.

My question is ,have other owners experienced such a problem engaging reverse after the update on the ASG?

Hi, yes my wife had same problem.

There is a Software update for the gearbox solving the problem. We experience it engages the gear more soft in cold weather after the update (more revs to get moving).

• Like 1