1.4 Tsi DSG Fuel Consumption - Long Journeys

I may be taking you too literally here, but I would hardly call getting 45 MPG from an automatic petrol car driving at outside-lane-motorway-speeds (70mph honest officer) to be a 'problem'. In fact I'd consider that rather astonishingly good, especially in something as large as an Octy! The fact you can drop down to 60mph and then get over 60 MPG on a cruise, or else choose to plant your right foot and have rather satisfactory progress available without much of an economy penalty, is even better.

Agree with that. We have (for a few more months) a 2010 Prius hybrid and that gets no more than 48-50mpg at 70mph indicated with cruise control on the motorway. That's a 1.8 non turbocharged petrol motor with electric assist. Around town you can get over 70mpg depending on conditions, temperature and traffic but that's because you're mostly on electric power.

If you're getting 45mpg from an automatic petrol car the size of an Octavia that's great IMO!

• 3 weeks later...

I just did a ~1.050km run from south Germany to Denmark:11km/L or 31mpg imp. Avg speed was 131kmh - I was basically driving full throttle where possible. 

Other observations: 

1. At 200+ kmh the MFD indicated consumption of 5km/L or 14mpg imp  :blush:
  2. It goes over 200 in 5th gear (I have 7speed DSG) -- 6th and 7th are just eco-gears. It does not have enough power to redline in 6th or 7th
  3. The manual says top speed of 212kmh. I was able to get it to 213kmh indicated, so probably 205-210 real. 
  • Like 2

I just did a ~1.050km run from south Germany to Denmark:11km/L or 31mpg imp. Avg speed was 131kmh - I was basically driving full throttle where possible. 

Other observations: 

1. At 200+ kmh the MFD indicated consumption of 5km/L or 14mpg imp  :blush:
  2. It goes over 200 in 5th gear (I have 7speed DSG) -- 6th and 7th are just eco-gears. It does not have enough power to redline in 6th or 7th
  3. The manual says top speed of 212kmh. I was able to get it to 213kmh indicated, so probably 205-210 real. 

Wow, so at full throttle you have a 50 km range from a tank. Could you make it to the next fuel stop?

Have to say that the overall fuel consumption for the average 131 kph speed is not too bad though.

What ended up being your favoured cruising speed/fuel consumption compromise?

Terrific contribution by the way

For this type of run you cannot beat a diesel for efficiency at speed. though.

I was disappointed that recent 24hr class records set by Opel/Vauxhall and Mazda diesels did not give consumption (that I could find).

Wow, so at full throttle you have a 50 km range from a tank. Could you make it to the next fuel stop?

Have to say that the overall fuel consumption for the average 131 kph speed is not too bad though.

What ended up being your favoured cruising speed/fuel consumption compromise?

Terrific contribution by the way

For this type of run you cannot beat a diesel for efficiency at speed. though.

I was disappointed that recent 24hr class records set by Opel/Vauxhall and Mazda diesels did not give consumption (that I could find).

I would have 250 km from a full tank at full throttle (50L x 5km/L=250km)

I was doing 200kmh over relative long stretches, but roadworks and 130/120/100 zones keep the avg speed down.

I have a company fuel card, so fuel economy did not influence my speed much :D

Edit: from a comfort point of view I prefer doing ~160kmh (which is the limit of the ACC). Driving 200kmh is pretty intense and requires full concentration.

Edited by jthyssen
  • Like 2

I would have 250 km from a full tank at full throttle (50L x 5km/L=250km)

To quote the immortal Homer Simpson "Doh!". 

Goodness knows how I came up with that,  I have not had my morning cup of coffee yet and the dogs are pressuring me for a walk...in the rain.

I'll swap you cool and raining, for 32° C and 85% humidity......

It almost looks like the manual gets better economy than the dsg, despite manufacturer claiming otherwise.

I'll swap you cool and raining, for 32° C and 85% humidity......

It almost looks like the manual gets better economy than the dsg, despite manufacturer claiming otherwise.

Sort of, as usual it depends on the driver and a lot of other things.

Those with DSG's appear to have an economy mode and the major plus this provides is allowing automatic coasting in Neutral which makes a big difference (sort of hyper-miling)

Of course you can do this with a manual but it is frowned upon by the authorities so probably not allowed in the test.

The other factor is the 7th gear in the DSG is marginally higher than the 6th speed in the Manual which allows slightly better economy at 70 mph (110 kph)..

The rolling road used to simulate road conditions for the fuel test would need very sophisticated controls to incorporate these fuel saving factors.

Coasting is bad.

Pulse and glide (gently build speed up (pulse) and then glide (no throttle)) - when in gear and off throttle, the engine uses no fuel at all. Tailgating a truck has more effect on economy than any of these other methods. Not that safe though!

The slightly taller dsg gearing should help at higher speeds.

Tbh though, the economy is so good on these things, trying to squeeze more out seems like a waste of time/effort. Paying attention to the road/conditions ahead and getting off the throttle early makes a fairly large difference.

On a clear roads I use everyday to work I can average 48mph, 26mpg in 11 minutes, on the same road home in traffic using CC in Eco Mode I can average 26mph, 43mpg 26 minutes so they you have it, want more fun ? you've gotta pay for it hopefully just at the pumps and not in the courthouse.

Still sort of within the topic:

On a couple of long runs recently, I've been playing with Eco and sport modes, using the switch to put it in Eco, then using the pull-back on the gear lever to get Sport as and when. Also using cruise a lot.

I noticed yestarday that when in Sport, the DSG uses all 7 gears, but when cruise is disengaged, it doesn't use 7th, even at fast motorway speeds. Gentle plays with the throttle, up and down a few MPH, doesn't trigger 7th, but immediately engaging cruise does. Anyone else seen this, or have any comments?

Still sort of within the topic:

On a couple of long runs recently, I've been playing with Eco and sport modes, using the switch to put it in Eco, then using the pull-back on the gear lever to get Sport as and when. Also using cruise a lot.

I noticed yestarday that when in Sport, the DSG uses all 7 gears, but when cruise is disengaged, it doesn't use 7th, even at fast motorway speeds. Gentle plays with the throttle, up and down a few MPH, doesn't trigger 7th, but immediately engaging cruise does. Anyone else seen this, or have any comments?

Find a bit of road long & empty enough and you'll find flatout (133mph) in Sport Mode and you're still in 5th or so, I've been told   :notme: