110 ran out of diesel and not right since (help!)

Hi all,

Was just wondering if anyone has experienced this type of problem before. Its about my 110 TDI MK4 Golf by but understand these where also fitted to the first of the Octavias.

I let it run out of diesel soon as I got the car home, so I changed the fuel filter and added more fuel to the car expecting it to start and it did eventually but the throttle is very laggy/slow now with hardly any response at all, definitely not like what it was when I got it . So I scanned the car with VCDS and it had a MAF fault, got a new one fitted but no different.

Since this problem has developed I have had a mechanic my family usually use too look at it and he said the timing was off so I got a new belt fitted - No better.

He also said he checked the exhaust and cat for blockages, cleaned the EGR and intake, cleaned the fuel tank and lift pump. Still no good and it's starting to annoy me now as I bought it to drive myself (12 weeks ago now) and now looking for a Fabia VRs.

Has anyone ever experienced this type of problem before? Thanks in advance

Have you had the timing checked with VCDS?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I have only checked the injection pump quantity with VCDS and judging by the guide I was following the numbers of the IP quantity were OK (that was about 6 weeks ago now though)

Use the timing checker in VCDS to look at the timing.  Very small adjustments on the injection pump sprocket make BIG differences to the timing.

Thanks for that, will try that tomorrow as the car is at my mechanics place. Cheers

My mums vectra was drained and was similar not the same, lag when putting foot down, showing MAF faults turned out the fuel pump was dead. Expensive repair but is all working fine now

Yea when I was taking to my mechanic today he mentioned its likely the fuel pump thats causing the problem, but he is going to try another ECU in the car as mine may have gotten damp :(

Yea when I was taking to my mechanic today he mentioned its likely the fuel pump thats causing the problem, but he is going to try another ECU in the car as mine may have gotten damp :(

If you mean engine ECU it won't work, unless your mechanic can recode the immobiliser.

If you mean engine ECU it won't work, unless your mechanic can recode the immobiliser.

He said his son can remove the immobilizer on the spare ECU, however I don't know if the immobilizer on the current ECU will need recoded once its removed.

He said his son can remove the immobilizer on the spare ECU, however I don't know if the immobilizer on the current ECU will need recoded once its removed.

Shouldn't affect the original ECU.

Have you tried bleeding the air from the injectors? They are supposed to self prime after a fuel drop out but Sometimes you get bubbles trapped in the pipes from the pump to the individual injectors. Try cracking the top fuel union on the injectors open half a turn with a spanner one by one when the engine is idling and see if that helps.

Don't bother wasting your time trying a different ecu.

Thanks for all the replies. :)

Yea I tried bleeding air from the injectors and also used an extractor pump on both the inlet/outlet of the injection pump but no joy. I have tracked down another fuel pump so hopefully that will solve the issue, stupid mistake on my behalf but at least I will never ever run a car out of fuel again.  :notme:

Edited by dmcc97

• 3 weeks later...