Engine replacement

Never heard of a CAVE replaced with a CTHE.   The CTHE has a different ECU.

But as Th3Grinch says,  now you might get a Refurbished CAVE Engine built with upgraded parts & the ECU Updated with the latest 

VW Engine Management Software (MAP).

You would not want a 'New CAVE' the same as the Original.

Best ask the Skoda UK Customer Manager in writing exactly what the Replacement engine you are getting is.

Brand New CAVE, Refurnished CAVE, or a Brand New CTHE.

Has anyone had the CAVE unit swapped for CTHE by the dealers as mine is going to be done and I'm wondering weather it's worth asking

Cheers

Ours was changed on September 25 and we were told twice by Skoda UK that the replacement engine was brand new, but no confirmation of CTHE. I suspect, and am fairly relaxed about it, that we got a replacement CAVE engine with the CTHE upgrades, but as I say no confirmation from either the dealer or Skoda.

If your dealer is a bit more approachable than the one I had to use they may let you have sight of the engine in the crate and the paperwork.

I've been told not to worry too much about CAVE or CTHE in any case, as the remanufactured CAVE with CTHE upgrades is as new anyway.

• Like 2

Thanks for the advice I was worried about the oil use age being the same after being done as I'm having trouble with my currant dealer will be talking with the manager as I turned up there today nobody even new I was coming so had to drive back home 30miles my car is on the last quarter of the stick of oil

Cheers for the replys

• Like 1

The replacement engine should be of the correct Quality and resolve your problems.

Do you have a Case Handler at Skoda UK Customer Services arranging the Warranty Work on your car.?

What were you there to have done today?

Has the Proper Oil Consumption Test been done and the new Engine Ordered and a Courtesy Car arranged?

I'm going to speak to Skoda uk on Monday and will be speaking to after sales manager on Monday to it's had the proper oil consumption test but I was taking it back today to pick courtesy car and to report other issues

• Like 1

I'm going to speak to Skoda uk on Monday and will be speaking to after sales manager on Monday to it's had the proper oil consumption test but I was taking it back today to pick courtesy car and to report other issues

If it's any consolation the work to replace the engine in our car was delayed due the inability to provide a courtesy car. Ask the garage or Skoda if they are using the Mobex system to book the car. Turns out it needed the dealer to give Skoda an earful before a courtesy car was available, but it was all arranged and in place within an hour after that.

If possible, see if the dealer has their own car available as that will cut down waiting time. The dealer I went to had been told by Skoda not to give out his own car as Skoda were arranging via Skoda replacement vehicles, the trouble came when someone seems to have forgotten to push a button/ check the system and the left hand didn't know what the right was doing. But as I say once the dealer had grasped the situation by the short and curlies a courtesy car came through quickly. The annoying thing for the dealer was that they had a car of their own they could have given me, and a workshop ready for the work, but couldn't move forward until the courtesy car became available.

I'm afraid it's another area where the most basic tenets of providing a service to the customer has been lost on Skoda.

In general terms, you will have a case handler appointed by Skoda to handle your complaint which will have it's own unique case number. Try if you can to take as many written notes of calls as you can, and try to make sure you get anything promised in writing. Try to deal with that one person all the time if you can, and try to keep your focus on explaining the problems clearly, and how they are affecting your daily routine. Another of the problems when dealing with Skoda UK is that the customer service person you speak to is not technical minded.

Good luck on Monday, if you need any help there are a few chaps on here who will do their best to help, including me if I can.

• Like 1

So I got a call from Skoda today apparently my car is fine and was within the parameters of Skoda uks oil usage so what can I do from here as when I checked the oil level before taking it it was in the last quarter of the stick

Thanks

Is the call from Skoda HQ Customer Services or from a Skoda Dealership Service Manager?

You need to ask for a copy of the 'Oil Consumption test report'.

The Official one carried out at the dealership,  and ask for a Copy of the Procedure that was followed to do the test.,

So it should be Showing the Mileage Covered, the Oil put in, Quantity / Weight,  & the Quantity / Weight removed,

& what they say the Consumption was, & what they equate that to over 1000 km (621 Miles) or 2000 km.

?

How far was your car driven from the time you dropped it off until you got it back?

Has it had New Oil & Filter put in?

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

PS.

You need now when the Dealer gives the car back,

check where the oil level is on the Dipstick when checked cold.

Note the Mileage, 

and you can drive your car until the Low Oil Yellow Warning Light or message shows.

Be sure to not continue driving but top up with oil to the same place as the Dealership has,

noting how much oil is required and how many miles have been done. 

Then you will know what the oil consumption is,

& if greater or near to 0.5 litres in 1000 km (621 miles).

Which even if it uses less than that might be unacceptable.

Just keep a record of mileage covered & oil use if you do not do it the way i suggest.

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

As George has said, you need to have the results and post then for us to view, as we have seen errors in the calcs before.

If the test results are border line  then my own car was requested to be retested. Also my partners had a Breather assembly changed and the retested but still failed.

Think your dealer, linking up with Skoda UK, should go down the agreed process route.

Edited by vrskeith

The call was from the service manager, I don't know weather the filter has been changed and I will follow your advice I have also emailed Skoda customer services for the results to make sure that they have seen them

• Like 1

Results from consumption test

Oil consumption according to workshop manual 3.6 liters

Filled oil quantity before test drive 2738 litres

Drained oil quantity after test drive 2307

Test drive (km readings) start 16591 km

End 17915km

Does this look right fellas

The oil quantity at the start of the test should be 3.6 litres and it is 857 grams per litres,

so  the 3.6 litres weighs 3085.2 Grams near enough.

THIS IS AN IMPORTANT FIGURE.    3.6 Litres in the car, or filled correctly at the start of Test.

New Oil, 3.6 litres, 3085 Grams.  New Filter.  

Taken up to temperature and then the Oil Drained.  & weighed.

Your test must be the 2738 Grams, of oil out of the sump.

So they fill it. with measured and Weighed oil.

Then they drain it, and weigh. it

Then test the car over however many miles.

Drain the Oil & weigh.

Then calculate.

So if the Drained oil weighed 2738 grams that was 3.2 litres of oil drained.

Car driven 1,324 km ,  **823 miles.**

Oil drained if 2,307 grams, (2.7 litres)...

so 3.2 litres at start,  2.7 litres at end after   they have it using 0.5 litres of oil,   and they manage to say that is better than 0.5 km in 1000 km.

It is nonesense,

not accurate enough,  and action needs taking.

Long trips might have virtually no oil consumption, so this is why a 'Dynamic Test', 

or real life use, short journeys of the engine being used from cold is rather important.

*Real world Consumption over maybe 3 Tank Fills of Petrol.  ie 1,200 miles (2,000 km type of use.)*

?? Were you driving it for the 823 miles of the test?

Are they doing a Breather Modification and ECU Update now?

THERE ARE SEVERAL MEMBERS ON THIS FORUM THAT HAD CONSUMPTION TEST THAT ALL SHOWED A OIL USE OF AROUND 

0.3 LITRES PER 1000 km (621 miles)

THEY WERE TOLD THIS WAS IN THE SKODA TOLERANCES, ONLY FOR THE CAR TO REQUIRE A NEW ENGINE NOT LONG AFTER.

It is a figure Skoda / VW like, and Consumption test often show,

but that does not mean the Engine is healthy.

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

Yes I was driving the car for the test, they have not changed the oil filter and the Ecu update was done to cure the miss fire on cold start.

So does this mean that I need to have the test done again also I'm thinking about asking them to change my whole exhaust as the oil must be going into it

Cheers

If there is oil passing out of the Engine it is being burnt in the Cat.

Even cars that have had engines replaced when they were using 1 litre in 500 miles have not always had a New Cat fitted.

You need to run the car now from the time you got it back until the 'Yellow Warning Light' Shows or a 'Low Oil Warning',

See how many miles until then, 

& how much oil it takes to top it to the correct level.

At least the Warranty Work has been activated by them doing the check.

Even if not a Correct one with a New Oil Filter & New Oil.

You need to Monitor,

& if there is an Issue,  get them to put in the Correct Level of Oil. and then Seal the Cap & Dipstick,  and then see how long before it goes through the Oil.

There is a New revised again Breather Pipe Mod as 'Ozfabia' had fitted to his vRS in Australia.

See how things go.

george

I think I might be heading towards ANOTHER engine replacement  :sweat:  :sweat:

Twice now I have noticed after slowing down for speed bumps and then accelerating again blue smoke from the exhaust. This is the exact same symptoms I had from my first engine which was a heavy user. Strange thing is mine has always used no more than around 200-250ml/1000km of oil. Maybe its getting worse with age? Back to the dealers I go again... Hope my extended warranty covers it!

• Like 1