What other cars did you reject when choosing a Rapid?

...or in my case, Toledo.

I did actually want a Rapid SE Connect, but the Toledo had more power,more kit, more choice of colours for the same money.

I also seriously considered a choice of  heavily discounted Hyundai i30 diesels - until I sat in one - didn't even bother driving it.

So, what did you guys and girls boot to the kerb?

Came from an uncomfortable Octy III SE 150 and finding a replacement car was a bit of a priority due to regular commutes. However I found time to look at the Volvo V40 and V60; tried one on a two day loan (used), BMW 1 and 3 series (used), Golf VII (used), Kia Ceed (new) and Toyota Auris Touring (new).

Was not taken by the quality of either the Toyota or Kia. The BM's bland and while the Volvo's were nice, they appeared just as uncomfortable as the Octy, as was the case with the Golf, although the accelerator was not set quite as far to the right.

Rapid sport seats however I seem to be OK with (touching wood) and unlike the Octy the accelerator pedal isn't placed in a silly offset position.

TP

Honda CRV, Ford C-Max, Skoda Yeti (my wife rejected this one), Honda Accord Tourer & Vauxhall Astra Estate.

My final decision was based on what I needed. My wife and I go camping a lot so I needed something with a big boot but Monday to Friday I drive 3.5 miles to work and 3.5 miles back. I'm not a brand snob so I didn't feel the need to go for a VW or Audi when the Rapid had everything that I needed.

The bonus points for me were the size of the boot, mpg, £30 road tax, cheaper insurance plus they look cool and maybe a bit of nostalgia for the Rapid name having owned and loved a 136 many moons ago.

Edited by Delberthot

Before settling on the Rapid I test drove and rejected the following:

Dacia Logan MCV

Dacia Stepway

Renault Captur

MG6

Vauxhall Mokka

Peugeot 308

The white one, yes very good price, wrong colour.

Found a silver one, very tempting and just under budget.

Don't know about white being the wrong colour but from experience it appears more resilient to stone chips than the metallic offerings; seem to be touching in two or three down to primer ever time I wash it, unlike the white Fabia which needs occasional touch ups (as was the case with the Octy and Yeti before that).

TP

There not a great deal of cars resilient to stone chips these days.

It's either the paint quality or there's a great deal more grit (the resurfacing type) thrown on to our roads these days.

Maybe a mixture of the two.

I looked at Audi A4/6 avant (millage was to high for the price), ford smax (the salesman @ ford was a tool!), bmw 520/30d touring (same as audi), mazda 5 (poor fuel economy) and soda octavia estate - I was won over by the rapid's pokey 1.2tsi engine and mpg, whilst having the spec I desired for less than £9500.

Don't know about white being the wrong colour but from experience it appears more resilient to stone chips than the metallic offerings; seem to be touching in two or three down to primer ever time I wash it, unlike the white Fabia which needs occasional touch ups (as was the case with the Octy and Yeti before that).

TP

Sorry but my white one has thin paint too... But I do like it in white.

Must be because my garage door just done this to my boot spoiler

:'(

If its not to deep try a chipex kit. A little expensive and not quite up to their claims (from my own ham-fisted experience) but it makes a much neater job than the dealer gloup.

TP

• Like 2