Question about diesel smoke test & cam belt

I have an Elegance TDI 110 '51 .

First question re smoke test

I have my MOT coming up in  week's time which always makes me nervous. It's never failed yet. Most of my driving is dual carriageway/motorway at @ 75 MPH mainly on cruise control. I am doing  about 9,000 miles a year at the moment. I also use Millers additive every time I fill up. However, every year we have this issue on the smoke test where he has to rev the nuts off it to clear the soot etc and he always asks me if the cam belt is OK before he floors it. Is there anyway I can clear the soot build up or is just a case of cruising down the dual carriage at 75 MPH in third gear?

Second question re cam belt

I have 150,000 on the clock and the cam belt is due for replacement before 160,000. I think it makes sense to get it done soonish. Can anyone recommend a reliable and trustworthy independent in the Aylesbury area?

Many thanks

Martin

It just needs the beans occasionally, that's all. If you drive miss daisy the soot will build up.

If the cam belt isn't overdue (miles or years!), then revving it shouldn't cause any problems. Chances of it going at that precise moment are slim even if it is overdue, it could go at any time (or not...).

Your Catalytic converter is probably sooted up. My A4 only just scraped though MOT emissions on 2 occasions. Decided to go decat by removing the cat innards, & it turned out that it was heavily clogged with soot. Sailed through emissions test since.

• Like 2