Wobbling Octavia

Hi, I have an Octavia 1.9 tdi Elegance auto which has developed a really unusual problem in recent months. It wobbles from side to side. It does it all the time but is more noticeable on main roads. In town its not so noticeable. I have replaced all the wheels and tyres, had them all balanced, suspension has been gone over and bits replaced, bushes all changed. Anti roll bar checked.

The latest thing I had done is all the shock absorbers changed, and still the problem persists. Any ideas?    

• 2 weeks later...

I second the above. Find an experienced garage who has either a Hunter Hawkeye or a Beissbrath geometry alignment machine and knows how to use it correctly and also insure the car has decent tyres fitted.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Been away for a while. I started the original topic of the wobbling Octavia. I had the 4 wheel alignment done by ATS. No idea if they knew how to use the equip. Thought it might be a bit rude to ask them, anyway no difference. I also had 4 new shocks fitted, and new bushes front and rear together with a new wheel as the old one was slightly dented, and I thought that might be the problem. The car is a taxi, so causes passengers a bit of consternation when it gets into wobbly mode, usually only on dual carriageways. Around town, no-one notices. Its going in to have a drive shaft renewed tomorrow, so they will both be done. Doubt if it will solve the problem though. I'm just throwing money at it and getting nowhere. Any new ideas would be welcome.