12v manual switch

jme808

I'm planning on putting a manual switch on the 12v socket, by cutting it in to the positive wire near the socket itself - I can't see that this will cause any problems, but though I'd ask to see if anyone has experience as the electrics in the Fabia seem to be a bit holistic at times...

Will be using 12v rated wires, insulated spade connectors and switch.

I use my fab alot for work and get in / out of it abour 10 times a day.  I'm getting annoyed faffing around with wires and 12v sockets (sat nav, phone, mp3, dash cam etc) every time I get in / out, and this way I can tidy the wires up.

It's not really a why, it's a what might break if I do...

• 3 weeks later...

Hiya,

I have installed - but I took a different route.  instead of cutting into the factory wires to put the switch there, I bought a multi-12v thing from Amazon, and cut the switch into it's wires instead.

So, I have it plugged in to the 12v socket permanently, run the cables (which I had to extend with some appropriate wire) down and tucked up into the centre console - they lead to a switch that is by my left knee (it is a little low but it seemed the most obvious place to drill a hole, and it will be hidden if I take the switch out), then from the switch to the multi-thing, which is in the back bottom section under the stereo.

The wires are mostly out of the way, and I prefer having things plugged so that wires are away from the handbrake / gears.

Hope that makes sense.