Considering a Superb 2.0 TDI CR S - Thoughts

whitep

Hi All,

As many of you have probably seen, I currently have a 2007 Octavia VRS TDI. Now the commute to work is unsuitable for a car with a DPF and I find the find a bit too harsh.

I have seen a 2011 Superb, 140 CR, S model (whats an S?) 118k miles. Its about what I hope to get for my VRS.

It is a DSG, are these ok with high miles. It will probably see 200k with me owning it.

Is the 140 OK in a superb, and does it have a DPF?

What should I be weary of?

Chances of it having an aux in?

Smoothness of ride on 16" wheels?

Any advice greatly sought.

2011 140 will have a DPF. You should look at the petrol 1.8TSI.

The big Sko rides brilliantly on 18" wheels - so try and get a 1.8TSI Elegance if you can.

Or just get a remap and DPF delete on your vRS, and fit some smaller alloys.

Edited by JakeBlade

2011 140 will have a DPF. You should look at the petrol 1.8TSI.

The big Sko rides brilliantly on 18" wheels - so try and get a 1.8TSI Elegance if you can.

Or just get a remap and DPF delete on your vRS, and fit some smaller alloys.

DPF delete = illegal, but yes i had thought of smaller wheels, the standard 17" ones might be better?

S is the base spec but you will still get decent enough standard equipment  - seats will be standard cloth trim, less chrome, no parking sensors etc.  The ride will be comfy with the 16s but like JakeBlade says above they might not look the best and personally I think they are a size too small given the overall dimensions of the car.  140 would be fine for and is not underpowered but obviously won't be as quick as the VRS. Sounds like you're after more comfort than power though?

• Like 1

Also, are xenons standard on any models?

Yes, on elegance and L&K.  If you have had them once it will be difficult to drive without them TBH.  They are adaptive bi-xenons as well ( your Octy may only have them on dipped beam)

S is the base spec but you will still get decent enough standard equipment  - seats will be standard cloth trim, less chrome, no parking sensors etc.  The ride will be comfy with the 16s but like JakeBlade says above they might not look the best and personally I think they are a size too small given the overall dimensions of the car.  140 would be fine for and is not underpowered but obviously won't be as quick as the VRS. Sounds like you're after more comfort than power though?

I thought I wanted speed and sporty, but no... i realize I want comfort.

ok, so no xenons on an SE

Not that I am aware of  (in Ireland we have the 'ambition' model which is pretty much the same as SE).  On SUK website you can select the specs (on the new versions but they shouldn't too much) and they do a good comparison between specs which might be helpful.

I think the SE is a good compromise in the Superb range - it's what I have.

The main bits you over an "S" are the following:

• 17inch alloys (Triffid style)
  • Rear park sensors
  • Half leather/half alcantara seats
  • Bolero stereo with SD card and 6 disc changer
  • 2 zone climate control
  • Cornering fog lights
  • Electrically folding door mirrors
  • Boarding spots (integrated into door mirrors)
  • Auto lights
  • Front armrest with storage compartment

Might differ slightly depending upon model year - you don't get Xenons. 

If you can't stretch to an Elegance try for the SE. The 140 engine is more than capable in the Superb.

I think the SE is a good compromise in the Superb range - it's what I have.

The main bits you over an "S" are the following:

• 17inch alloys (Triffid style)
  • Rear park sensors
  • Half leather/half alcantara seats
  • Bolero stereo with SD card and 6 disc changer
  • 2 zone climate control
  • Cornering fog lights
  • Electrically folding door mirrors
  • Boarding spots (integrated into door mirrors)
  • Auto lights
  • Front armrest with storage compartment

Might differ slightly depending upon model year - you don't get Xenons. 

If you can't stretch to an Elegance try for the SE. The 140 engine is more than capable in the Superb.

Yes this sounds good, though I like Xenons, and the 140 has a DPF apparently.  It sounds like the 1.8TSi might be the kiddy to go for.

DPF removal might be illegal but only in the same way as doing 31mph in a 30 limit. The repercussions and moral implications are about the same too.

I had a PD170 vRS with DPF issues. If it wasn't for the other issues with my particular car I'd have happily had the bloody thing chopped out and sent back to Skoda in a box.

I'm guessing a 2007 high miler vRS will get you less than £5K? For this sort of money you'll be looking at 2008/2009 MkII Superb's with 150,000+ miles. 

A lot of car for the money though...

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201409117309219/sort/default/postcode/yo325zs/price-to/5000/onesearchad/used%2Cnearlynew%2Cnew/page/10/radius/1500/usedcars/make/skoda/model/superb?logcode=p

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1

1.8 elegance, you really need the headlights and nav. Makes the car. I recently had a new VRS octavia for the day as mine had a major service. I'm a petrolhead, owned numerous hot hatches plus bikes....yet I couldnt wait to get back into my superb.

And the perfect car for you is on the classifieds right now.........

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/321624-skoda-superb-201010-18tsi-elegance-twin-door-hatch-fssh-39k-immaculate/page-2#entry3996104

But you might need a few more pennies........?

Mmm, nice yes.

I'm guessing about 5.5k for my car is cheap actually going by autotrader prices and the slightly higher than standard spec my car has, but yet I would need some more pennies.

One will come my way I am sure....

OK, so the CR engines (140/170) with the DPF better than the PD engines with DPF? I commute 20 miles or so in traffic, so need the DPF to be able to regenerate OK.

I want diesel really for the longer journeys i do with the family, and I think Petrol will be too uneconomical, but I might be wrong?

Someone talk to me about engines... I dont want to make another mistake.

If the traffic allows you to roll along at 40+ mph then the regen will probably work without the engine needing to go into regen mode wasting fuel - I've never seen my car regen because it mostly spends its time above that speed, so the exhaust is hot enough in normal running to burn the soot off the DPF. The fuel economy on the petrol engines isn't that bad though - apart from the 3.6...

• Like 1

I would look like for like and see what the price difference is between the petrol and diesel because a petrol one is probably cheaper to buy. Then try to work out how long it would take before that saving was spent on fuel with the cost of the two fuels and a rough mpg of each type.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would look like for like and see what the price difference is between the petrol and diesel because a petrol one is probably cheaper to buy. Then try to work out how long it would take before that saving was spent on fuel with the cost of the two fuels and a rough mpg of each type.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And add in a factor for the appropriate depreciation - if you can work out what it would be for each fuel type!

Edited by Mph25

And add in a factor for the appropriate depreciation - if you can work out what it would be for each fuel type!

I need Steven Hawkins for this..... But yes the Petrol Diesel comparison is needed. I think the MPG is roughly the same nowadays, OK, Petrol slightly less, but its cheaper than Diesel, and I have a feeling Diesels owners are about to have their pockets raped by the government, meaning Diesels we de-value possibly?