New Car Wednesday!

After a hetic morning, my new TDI vRS has been collected and has ventured out onto the roads for the first time.

Firstly, a massive, big up to Derek Slack Motors, who have been brilliant throughout.

So, first impressions...

... It looks the dogs *ahem* (pictures to follow). Seriously though a massive step up from my previous Blackline DSG. The build quality is streets ahead of the mk2 in all senses. From opening and closing the doors (a more satisfying clunk) to the interior, which feels more tactile as well as being better put together. Its certainly on a par with mates' 320d BMW's (60 & 62 plates).

The Columbus unit is great and very intuitive. It works well with my iPhone 5S both on Bluetooth and playing music via the USB port. Track artwork displays well but still have the video function to try out.

The headlights are great especially the adaptive function that moves with the steering, just need a willing volunteer (beer tokens available) to code me HBA!!

I was sceptical about the Lane Assist but am growing to quite like it. I seem to find that it doesn't do a great deal for me, but does occasionally 'help' during the rare momentary lapses ( I'm sure we all have whether we admit to them or not!!). Even when changing lanes (empty motorway) and not using the indicator the resistance it provides is not to bad and possibly serves as an extra nod to the driver to re-check/be aware.

The main area though is the improvement in the DSG box over my previous Mk2 Blackline. Whilst the mk2's DSG box was great, I always felt it was a touch clunky. However, the new DSG box is streets ahead in terms of smoothness, when it wants to change gear and the new gear stick is a welcome change (well done Skoda for coming to this century!)

The modes, whilst not fully explored are quite good. I like the Eco mode on good A-roads, dual carriageways and motorways but found the coast function a bit of a pain in 30-40mph areas where I'd normally rely on a bit of engine braking to slow me whilst going down hill. Maybe something to get use to, but does anyone else feel the same?

The normal mode is, well... ...normal and the sport mode is strangely addictive. I like the daft noise generator at low speed round the town but on the motorway it is a bit loud ( I even May have to agree with the other half on this one )

Also, my dealer has allegedly managed to activate the LED number plate bulbs for me during the PDI. I'll update the post once I've had a chance to fit mine!!

A few questions that I'd appreciate some advice on though:

1. I don't seem to have coming home lights on, and there is no option for these in the Columbus screens is this normal?

2. I was under the impression that the Columbus screen would display the cars 'climatic' status when it was altered. I.e. Temp, fan speed, a/c on, heat seats, ventilationmode, etc. changed. Is this the case or not?

3. My radio stations aren't displayimg the logos. Is this a time thing or do I have to upload them or similar?

Thanks in advance for the replies

Tim.

PS VCDS programmers wanted for HBA, traffic sign display and DRL configurations please. Beer/wine tokens available

Congrats.

1. headlight switch in auto position. And there are settings under 'car' on the columbus for coming / leaving times.

2. press 'set up' on the heater controls. It'll appear on the columbus then.

3. you need to upload. plenty of info of how on here. Its worthwhile. (think BBC World Service will automatically show a logo, though I have no idea why they picked WS and no other to do this)

Congrats.

1. headlight switch in auto position. And there are settings under 'car' on the columbus for coming / leaving times.

2. press 'set up' on the heater controls. It'll appear on the columbus then.

3. you need to upload. plenty of info of how on here. Its worthwhile. (think BBC World Service will automatically show a logo, though I have no idea why they picked WS and no other to do this)

Where does it get the artwork info from? The wife had a polo se facelift courtesy car with dab on vws version of i presume the bolero and the station Artwork came up. As you say nice little addition. Deffo want it on my columbus when i get the car.

Regards station logo's. I got the info from a Briskoda member to place on my Mk3 Vrs Bolero. I have tried to attach file, but it wont, so just put this in Google. hope it works. RADIO STATIONS FOR VW GROUP.

Then follow this.  Once done its quite easy. i keep the SD card in the car in case I am away on hol for long preiods, so i can add new stations.

RADIO STATION LOGO’s INFO

Download the relevant ZIP file for your country(s)

- Unzip/extract the contents to a folder on an SD-Card

- Insert the SD-Card into the Infotainment System

- Goto Setup-> Sender Logos

- Select the Station you want to update the logo for

- Select the Logo you want for each station

- Repeat for the rest of the stations you want to update

- You can then remove the SD-Card

Download the relevant ZIP file for your country(s)

- Unzip/extract the contents to a folder on an SD-Card

- Insert the SD-Card into the Infotainment System

- Goto Setup-> Sender Logos

- Select the Station you want to update the logo for

- Select the Logo you want for each station

- Repeat for the rest of the stations you want to update

- You can then remove the SD-Card

• Like 1