Winter tyres for L&K

Have a 2014 Superb Laurin and Klement estate. Summer tyres are 225/40/18. I am not entirely sure what size winter tyres to use. I will be using the alloys that came with te car. Would 205/55/16 fit the 18'' alloys.

I've pretty much made up my mind to go for the Nokian WR D3

Any feedback much appreciated.

As above, on the 205/55/16 tyres you've listed above the 16 denotes the diameter of the tyre, so if you are planning to use your current alloy wheels you'll need 18" tyres.

Most people tend to use 16" alloys/tyres for winters as they offer an increased height side wall which offers better protection against pot holes and snow covered obstacles.

There is also a lot more choice for winter tyres in 16" and is a diameter recommended by Skoda for use on the MkII Superb.

The tyres specs suitable for your car will be listed inside the fuel filler cap.

I felt the l&k wheels were far too beautiful to risk damage in winter from either minor skids or extra salt on the roads, so I opted for a set of 16"steels and winter tyres.

It is quite liberating to be able to drive without worrying through the worse months.

• Like 1

winters for 18" wheels will be expensive, so you are better off dropping down to 16s and getting a decent set of winters like the nokians or continental winter contact t850s, and there are a few places (including skoda dealers for some unknown reason) that do good combo deals

if you are based in dublin (guessing from your username but open to being wrong) drop me a PM!

t.

Edited by tmg

Thanks very much for responses all.

Financially it seems to be the same story. Increasing the diameter's from 205/55/16 to 225/40/18 winter tyres seems to be bringing the price up by about 40-60% (Nokian for example going from 100-150 Euro). But, at the same time, there's nice 16'' alloys on ebay (for example these or these). Slightly more dearer to go with alloys + winter tyres in a 16'' than getting 4x 225/40/18 but it's a once off investment for wheels and after that, tyres will be much cheaper to purchase.

tmg: sent PM

I bought a set of cheap Audi alloys off eBay.

The front alloy is the standard Skoda 17" Triffid on summers, the rear alloy is the Audi TT alloy with an Avon Ice Tourer fitted.

I thought about it for quite some time but in the end couldn't face running 16" black steels for half the year...

IMG_5391_zps917b4cfe.jpg

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/296872-audi-winter-alloy-wheels-fitted-today/  

Agreed. I used to drive an Octavia RS (my wife drives it now) and I got a set of steels + winter tyres. I got a number of comments (some genuine): you have a lovely car. Couldn't you afford alloys or wheel caps... Wouldnt like to go the steels route again.

These on eiretyres.com (delticom) are great but @ 240 each (incl Nokian tyres): here

Edited by dubincalling

As above, you need tyres that fit you alloy rims, which would be 225/40 R18. You can also fit 225/45 R18 to give you a deeper sidewall profile, but that size is quite rare and generally more expensive.

I have 225/45 18 Nokian WR A3 on mine and they are excellent.

£118 each from Oponeo UK.

Cheers

Yves

TBH I am not bothered about the look, when I'm in the car I can't see the wheels, when I'm out of the car I don't really think it makes much difference. So I bought 16" steels and some reasonable covers. No one has ever remarked either in summer or winter about the wheels.

Edit:

Actually I have just remembered, I did have one comment bout the wheels/tyres when I first got the car-"those rubber bands must ruin the ride, why did you get a car with such big wheels"

He agreed, once in the car that the ride was OK but I must admit I would have prefered 17" but wanted the rest of the elegance spec.

Edited by Bristolf2b

After much research, I have bought four 225/40 R18 Nokian WR A3 s for my Superb Estate.  £102 each, free delivery and very good service from Oponeo.  The tyres have rim protection ribs, so a bit of protection for the L&K alloys!.  Not being a techie, I didn't consider any size other than the same as the summer tyres.  Make sure that whatever you buy has a V rating (149 mph, above the car's top speed) to ensure that there are no insurance issues.

Waiting impatiently for colder weather to justify fitting them!

No need to wait, These tyres work in a very wide range of temps, I put mine on a few weeks ago just in time for late Autumn 20 degree heat and the truth is they work better than the OEM Contis even at that those air temps!

Its cold enough now for winter tyres to have an advantage......

You will not really notice it yourself as even in the cold slippery conditions you will be carrying on much like normal.

What you will notice is that everytime you come to a bend worth the mention everyone behind you drops 50 yards further behind as they have had to slow down so much to get around!

Love it.

Yves

Edited by YvesD