Monte Carlo headlights problem- short beam?

Lukeb

I have a 2012 Monte Carlo and there seems to be something up with the headlights. Both my wife and I have noticed it and I'm not sure if it's a bulb issue or something more fundamental.

The driver's side headlight beam seems to stop very suddenly about 5m from the front of the car. The left one carries on into the distance. This only occurs in low beam and the bulb is, as far as I can tell, fine. The light is still on in low beam.

We have only noticed this since I had an EGR valve problem and air con leak fixed by the dealer. I happened to be in the workshop briefly (I'd left my house keys in the car) and they did have the bumper and some of the front end off (though my memory of this is a bit sketchy). Could this be related? I say we have only noticed it since the dealer did this but it doesn't mean it didn't happen before.

Thanks for any help.

My Monte Carlo has similar beam pattern. I _thought_ I had knocked the beam adjuster -- but no, that reduces the visibility even more.

On the plus side it means I slow down when driving at night!

Regards
Steve H

Its a common problem with the 'black pack' lights that the montes have.

Theyre set up wrong from the factory.

Best thing to do, pop down to a friendly local MOT station and get them to adjust the beam up (on the headlight unit itself) to the maximum setting on the levelling machine they use :).

Also. These headlights benefit greatly from an upgraded bulb (osram nightbreaker unlimited or philips extreme vision) or an upgrade to a HID kit.

Youll really notice the difference if you do the above :).

• Like 1

I upgraded my bulbs to Phillips Extreme's, but mine must have been set up correctly as my beam pattern is better than the wifes Yeti? the beam is a lot brighter and creates a slightly wider pattern!

Ours are fine also, fitted Osram Nightbreaker Plus and adjusted the offside (drivers) beam up a touch myself, to bring it more in line with the nearside pattern using the garage door method :D

Also done the same with the Spaceback but it was the other way round, nearside being set too short. Did ask the local dealer if this was covered by warranty and they indicated not, despite it being like this from factory; they wanted between £45 - £90 to do the work   :o  hence the DIY.

No ones flashed their lights at us (like I was getting with faulty self adjusting xenon's on the previous Yeti), so the very small adjustment made seems within acceptable limits.

TP