Sale on Speedpro DCOEs

Noticed Speedpro are having a sale on DCOE 40s jetted for 130s and i've been thinking of changing carbs for a while. I've read all the bad bits on other threads here, but i feel like giving it a whirl. I'm running a tuned 130 with exhaust, head and cam upgrades and valve work in the pipeline.

I want to run an Omex 200 ignition system and i need a modular carb to get a good setup. The DCOE will take the right TPS and there are umpteen adapters for throttle cable connection, i found this...http://www.glencoeltd.co.uk/sytec-throttle-linkage-kits/weber-dcoe-throttle-linkage-kits/weber-dcoe-throttle-linkage-kit-single-cable/# recently which is a motorsport product and seems very simple with little potential for backlash and sloppyness. I've orderd one of their throttle cables. I think the Omex system can probably be adjusted to iron out any rough running problems.

I also want to site an air filter in an airbox under the Estelle's vent in the spoiler. It'll be nothing more than a cold air trap being supplied from the vent so the (cone, probably) filter inside it is always in a sea of cool air and the inlet temperature is as cool as possible. The DCOE is pointing in the right direction to swing an induction tube round to meet the vent.

As for the loss of vacuum to the servo, i'll braze a tube onto both legs of the banana manifold and take a feed out of the centre to keep it all pneumatically balanced.

I know a few have done a lot with sidedraughts, Hawker, ken etc. What do you think? Does the Speedpro jetting setup look ok?

They're not a bad price. You know your MPG will drop through the floor though don't you? You would also still need to get somewhere to check the set up because their 130 jetting might not be exactly tailored to your engine.....and the engine won't be as smooth as on a normal downdraught......and will be noisier too.

The question is - what are you looking to do with the car? Is the aim to have a run around for the road and classic car feel or are you trying to make it as fast as you possibly can? I have Snotty which is now so lairy it's actually not fun to be in for too long....but then it's mainly designed for motorsport and I seldom go far in him. I am about to start building a 'warm' road engine for Ekk and I am going for capacity (1340cc) and a head that breaths......everything else is staying standard, although I might add a warm cam and will need the carb re-jetting. I want Ekk to be a nippy classic touring kind of car that's fun on b-roads but capable of keeping up with modern traffic and doing A- road journeys in. If I stuck a 40 DCOE on it that would immediately be ruined!

Your ignition idea is good....the standard dizzy's aren't great and will all be a bit ropey by the length of time they have existed! I started tuning Snotty with a Canems ignition ECU (super cheap for how good they are and easy to use).

My around town running is already rubbish anyway because i'm running a BDIC which coughs like Bob Phlegming below 2500. I can live with bad mpg, anyone having run a 2.5l Porsche knows what really bad mpg is! I'd like to see how much i can get out of the 1289 even if i am sacrificing what smooth running i have. I've been told good things about Omex and there are plenty of people who are wizards with Omex and DCOE setups. Once i've got my re-machined valves in and had a second look at the porting i should be in line for some good results with Omex/DCOE, and it wouldn't surprise me if i break even on the drivability.

You're still on a Weber 30 then? You will definitely get benefits in performance terms going to a bigger carb. The easiest way to get more from 1289cc is to got for an 8 port set up though......as you will find when you get up towards 3 figures the head design just can't be made to breath well enough. I think the works team managed 107bhp supposedly but that was at very high revs and on engines that needed rebuilt every few thousand miles. I managed 101bhp with an SK6 cam, fuel injection and a professionally ported and flowed head.

Omex are good I'm sure but it's expensive stuff for just a bit of ignition mapping and there are alternatives out there that do the same job for a lot less. You can even make your own mega-jolt very cheaply.

Edited by hawkeracing

I run a Weber 40DCOE on a 1289cc 136. I also have a four branch exhaust manifold, ported head and (I think) SK6 cam. Everything else is standard. Fuel economy is absolutely terrible. But everything else is great. It sounds fantastic. It goes well. And it has real attitude. It doesn't have the tractability of my RiC or Felicia but isn't a bore to drive and still has sufficient torque. 

Not sure if this helps - but my point is that practicalities aside, DCOEs are cracking for the sound if nothing else. 

Incidentally if you do go for a bigger carb I would be interested in the BDIC - particularly if it has the mount to attach it to the standard air box.

The air filter adapter is still available from Webcon if you quote the part number (99901182). My BDIC will never be for sale i'm afraid!

I'm trying to place my order with Speedpro but they aren't responding to emails for some reason.

Most Ford based Webers (32/36, 28/36 and 36 DGAS) bolt straight onto the standard Skoda manifold. The 28/36 is a lovely smooth carb - not tried a 32/36 but it would fuel up to 100bhp easily I would suggest. Speedpro are a bit rubbish when it comes to ordering. Have you got the banana manifold already? If so then all you need is a 2nd hand DCOE from ebay.....if you find one with 30mm chokes it will probably be set up for a relatively small engine and would work as a start point.

I have a manifold that would need a bit of tidying (it has been fitted with injector bosses) and the anti-vibration gaskets. You won't be able to get a 28/36 new - they were fitted to things like mk1 Cortinas and the like. I would also be suspicious of believing what you see on the Webcon site.....they advertised the Skoda 30bdic for several years after they were able to get them!

Be wary on 28/36 dcd carbs now because they are probably over 40 years old. The 32/36dgav is great it you get the one with I think 26/27mm venturis-the 32gdav had 23/24 venturis but with both carbs they suffer with spindal wear due to use and mileage. The dgav carbs were used as replacements in weber kits to replace gm varajet and solex carbs in the late eighties so ther will be some old stock kicking around in weber dealers if you look -these can be adapted and re-calibrated to suit

I don't think it's that simple.....whatever carb you fit you are going to have to get it jetted and set up for your car. The Speedpro DCOE isn't going to be an exact match for your particular engine/set up. When the Sport Estelles came out, owners who had them set up and re-jetted reported substantial power and tractability increases becasue there is no substitute for a proper diagnostic session where emissions, power and AFR can be measured.

Last time I had a car set up on a carb I bought small jets and got my rolling road man to use a set of jet drills to get them to roughly the right size.....but you also have to remember that the chokes, emulsion tubes and air jets also need to be correct.

I don't think it's that simple.....whatever carb you fit you are going to have to get it jetted and set up for your car. The Speedpro DCOE isn't going to be an exact match for your particular engine/set up. When the Sport Estelles came out, owners who had them set up and re-jetted reported substantial power and tractability increases becasue there is no substitute for a proper diagnostic session where emissions, power and AFR can be measured.

Last time I had a car set up on a carb I bought small jets and got my rolling road man to use a set of jet drills to get them to roughly the right size.....but you also have to remember that the chokes, emulsion tubes and air jets also need to be correct.

I agree, i have some experience from farting around with my BDIC which turned out to be way off. I can probably get it running somewhere near, the speedpro jetting is as follows...

DCOE 40, diffuser 30, emulsion tube F 11, hl. jet 115, hl  Air eliminators 200, atomizer 4.5, volnoběž . jet 45F9, the acceleration . pump 40, 38 mm socket

Is this somewhere near? If it doesn't run properly i can just swap back and have a rethink. It looks like something has been lost in translation, but it looks like 115 mains and 200 air correctors on both barrels. If it ran badly i'd drop to 110 mains instantly.

Edited by mr brightside

I am not 100% sure but last time I ordered a cable (a year or so back) I think I needed more than 3m (10ft)  - with the carb sitting over the 'other' side of the engine and a modern overhead linkage it might be just a few cms too short. My rolling road man ended up bodging the old one for the session and I had to buy a 4m version. As I said I am not totally sure but it would be worth checking.

• 2 weeks later...

Oh dear, it turns out Speedpro weren't having a sale on DCOEs but that they also sell Chinese copies of DCOEs called 'FAJS'. The thought of running this thing just fills me with dread, does anyone have any experience of an FAJS? Hope Speedpro do returns.

Edited by mr brightside

Oh dear.....I hadn't heard of them but Google shows up a fair bit on them. Obviously Weber say they are crap but there do appear to be some supporters of them. The good thing is you are only running one of them and it should be just about set up for your engine......when you price up the cost of returning the things to Speedpro you might just elect to keep it. If it was me I would give it a whirl and see what happens.....it's unlikely to do serious damage to your car....worst case scenario is it just won't run very well....and then you sell it on Ebay as hardly used and get a used Weber instead.

Oh dear.....I hadn't heard of them but Google shows up a fair bit on them. Obviously Weber say they are crap but there do appear to be some supporters of them. The good thing is you are only running one of them and it should be just about set up for your engine......when you price up the cost of returning the things to Speedpro you might just elect to keep it. If it was me I would give it a whirl and see what happens.....it's unlikely to do serious damage to your car....worst case scenario is it just won't run very well....and then you sell it on Ebay as hardly used and get a used Weber instead.

Speedpro won't take it back so i've ordered a genuine Weber and the Chinese thing goes live on eBay tonight at 20.00hrs (201234678887) if anyone's interested...it's a come and buy me price i can assure you, i don't want it kicking around!