Bi-Xenon cornering function.

KBPhoto

First few evenings of driving in proper darkness with the Yeti and managed to get the full / main / flood beam on to see how well the cornering function works on this Yeti.

And I'm not sure it is.

Having driven another one and seen videos of it in action, mine don't seem to do much (if anything).

They do their 'dance' when you start the car, are pleanty bright enough even if they don't point that far along the road.

Could mine be misaligned or not be cornering?

No errors logged with VCDS if that makes any difference.

How can I check?

The swivel function might be turned off in the Maxidot, think its under assistants, light bending. You should be able to see the lights swivel on dipped beam whilst driving on twisty roads, they don't work a slow speeds though.

I'll check that I haven't turned it off in Maxidot.

I did have a look at the Xenon controller in VCDS (but didn't change anything) to see if there was anything there, but couldn't see anything obvious.

Can't say that I have noticed anything happening on dipped beam. There may be a possibility of it happening on main beam, but it's not obvious if it is.

The swivel function is quite noticeable on dipped beam as well, though -as previously mentioned- above a certain speed (from memory, it should be something like 20-30mph, not more).

First thing I would do is check the Maxidot - it is indeed under "Assistants", there is a checkbox titled "Bend Lighting" which should be ticked for the function to work.

Thanks again.

Just checked and it was (and still is) ticked.

it seems as though it isn't working on either beam then as, from what you are both saying, it should be fairly evident that it is cornering.

What could be wrong? What else could I check?

I'll assume youll know this already, but the light switch needs to be in the auto position.

And yes it should be noticeable, it's like when you see a cartoon cars lights following the road like eyes.

I'll assume youll know this already, but the light switch needs to be in the auto position.

And yes it should be noticeable, it's like when you see a cartoon cars lights following the road like eyes.

If read about that, but there seemed to be some debate about it without a clear outcome.

I didn't know that when I test drove a '59 plate Yeti and DID notice the Xenons cornering. I probably would have manually put the lights on without even thinking about it as it was my first drive in a Yeti coming from a manual only Octavia and wanting to see the Xenons work.

I'm going to try setting 'tourist mode' and then unsetting it to see it that jolts it into action. And do the same with the Maxidot setting.

Just to reassure you, the roads around me are dark and bendy and the effect of the cornering xenons is very noticeable indeed and very useful. You only need to twitch the steering wheel to see a distinct movement of beam away from dead ahead. One of the car's best features in my opinion.

• Like 1

Just to reassure you, the roads around me are dark and bendy and the effect of the cornering xenons is very noticeable indeed and very useful. You only need to twitch the steering wheel to see a distinct movement of beam away from dead ahead. One of the car's best features in my opinion.

Not sure that's reassuring as mine don't seem to be doing it.

Certainly a 'twitch' doesn't display anything obvious. In fact I'm not sure a definite 'turn' of the wheel does anything.

It was certainly a deciding factor in choosing an Elegance spec Yeti (the Xenons and cornering function).

Do you have your headlamp switch set to Auto, or do you flick it round to manually on?

As I believe the swivelling function only works if it's on Auto.

My answered that two posts above yours and my research came to no conclusion on that matter.

I'll try with the lights switched on manually (they've been on auto for the past few days) to see if that makes a difference (despite the advice).

I can't remember if pre-FL Yetis needed the lights in 'Auto' for the cornering function to work. Certainly the manual says you do on FL Yetis with AFS II.

On a decent winding road you can definitely see it work (if it is working) as others have said - on pre and post FL Yetis.

The F/L Yetis need to be on auto for the cornering function. It can't be switched on or off in the MFD.

In the pre F/L it didn't matter if it was in man or auto and you could turn it on/off in the MFD

The cornering function does not work on any model when travel mode is ticked in the MDF

If nothing works, the next thing I would do would be to check the fuses. It's a long shot (I would have thought that the AFS motors would probably be on the same circuit with other things, so a blown fuse would manifest itself through more malfunctions), but still worth checking. It's hard to think of much else that could lead to both motors giving up the ghost simultaneously. A steering angle sensor maybe?

I also think that the moving Xenons are one of the best features of the car, so much so that I usually turn them off when pootling around well-lit roads to "save" the motors from unnecessary wear. Paranoid, and probably completely pointless, I know...

A bit of tight turns around twisty corners tonight with and without the cornering function ticked in Maxidot and....

....they are working on Auto and when manually switched on and on dipped as well as flood beam.

It just took a few tighter, quicker turns at each setting to confirm this. My usual sedate, smooth driving is obviously not making the lights move quickly enough to be obvious.

Thanks for the advice from everyone. Much appreciated, but a false alarm.

Thankfully.

• Like 3

Glad you sorted it. I tried it tonight and was going to report my findings which are exactly as you reported above. I was going to say - sometimes not so obvious with dipped beams. Also not so noticable on gentle bends. My local roads have series of sharp corners where it is very obvious and much needed. Tonight on a section of gentle bends the thought crossed my mind that it was not too obvious and that you might not be noticing it in those conditions. As I said in another post, on hairpins on the Isle of

Mull it was very noticable and very useful indeed. Glad you are sorted.

• Like 1

Fortunately my drive tonight included a couple of sections of quite twisty road and taking these at a little speed made the cornering function much more obvious when compared to switching it off.