Sticky windscreen wipers

Clan

Hi guys,

Just wanted to check if this behavior is normal for an Octavia III: the wipers seem to "stick" for only a brief moment when reaching the vertical position. Although not even for a whole second, you can certainly notice that their movement from the starting position to the LH side of the windscreen and back is not "fluid", with tiny pauses at the 90 degrees location. Looks like the cam which controls them has a small flat spot where they stop for a little bit, just before starting to return back to the horizontal home position.

I wasn't sure if this is normal or not for an Octavia III, before bringing this up with the dealer (my car is RHD - Australia).

Thanks.

Don't know if it's the same as you describe, but new owners were reporting the offside wiper sticking on screen just before A pillar & when it released it banged against the pillar. Mine was same and dealer refused to adjust it so a good screen clean with water & white vinegar then polish off with a scrunched up newspaper & problem solved.

Seems like screen was greasy & needed a good clean as the wipers were doing such a good job they were binding to the screen in places.

Don't know if it's the same as you describe, but new owners were reporting the offside wiper sticking on screen just before A pillar & when it released it banged against the pillar. Mine was same and dealer refused to adjust it so a good screen clean with water & white vinegar then polish off with a scrunched up newspaper & problem solved.

Seems like screen was greasy & needed a good clean as the wipers were doing such a good job they were binding to the screen in places.

Well, something like this. It is very obvious at a single swipe (mist function), when the blade seems to bind to the windscreen at the 90 degrees position and then again when slightly lower. It is very annoying, but I'll try to give the glass a good scrub and see how it goes.

I gave the windscreen a good wash and the wipers are now moving across it smoothly (almost). Thanks for the suggestion - it saved me a visit to the dealer.

Mine does this also and only on single swipe mist function. The pause is obvious and appears more 'electronic' than mechanical, as though the wipers are asking permission to come back down from vertical. Cleaning screen helps but they soon go back to permission ask mode.

Problem appears worse when temperature is in 35c to 40c range so rubber composition could be a factor. When 1st service comes along I will get them checked but not expecting any remedy from dealer. Currently have nearly 10,000km  so dealer will likely say wipers only last 6 months in any case.

Mine does this also and only on single swipe mist function. The pause is obvious and appears more 'electronic' than mechanical, as though the wipers are asking permission to come back down from vertical. Cleaning screen helps but they soon go back to permission ask mode.

It seems I spoke too soon... Yep, it's doing it again, but this time only on the single sweep/mist function. Looks like a combination of factors: hot weather, almost dry windscreen, rubber very grippy and some sort of electronic or mechanical "pause". I'll see how it goes over the next weeks and I'll raise it with the dealer after Christmas.

I have recently finished installing front and rear dash cams so I will be able to take a good detailed look at the wiper action now. I have never noticed a pause on normal wiping,  only on the single sweep. It almost looks like a stutter with a pause, slight movement another pause then finally gets the Ok to come home. The dash cam will isolate this fairly easily I would think.

Only a very small glitch in the scheme of things but intriguing. A little like the rev blip when the clutch is depressed after standing at lights for a short time - never consistent but always entertaining when bored.

The only other problems I have had is the rear window upper brake light surround detaching itself from the adhesive tape in hot weather (Which is most days at the moment). My car was also delivered without the drivers foot rest pedal - just a metal bracket and a couple of holes in the carpet where is should be located. First service will fix both.

A little like the rev blip when the clutch is depressed after standing at lights for a short time - never consistent but always entertaining when bored.

Yeah, I got this, too.