How good is the scout 4 wheel drive system?

Subarus subarus subarus, If they are that good why havnt  or dont the fast response ambulance service use them instead of the scout? I will tell you why its because they wouldnt take the punishment like the scout,  Having direct contact with the fast response teams i get first hand feedback from them (As we carry out all the repairs on them) and they have had fords vauxhalls and even vovlo and they ALL (yes you read it right "ALL") say the scout is by far the best! And that is from the horses mouth not some read about bull muck... 

Use common sense and you will discover why ;-) If you understand dynamics of modern business - you will know why they don't use something that last forever :-D They need to make money.

Sniper, your information is way out of date. The current and previous versions of Haldex do not just sit idle waiting for wheels to spin, they lock the clutch based on other factors such as throttle position and vehicle inclination. I can't say for Land Rover's Haldex 3, as I've not looked into that, but I'd expect it to be equally capable since its was used in Freelanders for years. I believe even Haldex 2 took throttle into account, but as the pump was powered by the propshaft rotating, it didn't have the same ability to lock for takeoff.

Also, my Subaru has a multiplate clutch coupling between the front and rear axles (an output comes out of each end of the gearbox, one into the front diff, the other into the coupling) which is lockable with a button in the cabin. It is also always partly locked as the normal balance is a 60/40 distribution, unless the computer decides otherwise.

Complaining Haldex is rubbish based on V1 of it just makes you look a fool.

So as I've said - it is for people who can't drive. Why make it simple if you can make it complicated. That's why ABS, ESP, ASR, EDL were invented.

Subaru uses DCCD + EDL and still have symmetric mechanical AWD system. When electronic fails, you still have dynamics of nature at your disposal. Guess what happen with all pseudo 4WD systems ;-)

Use common sense - if Haldex, so called four wheel drive, is so unique as your propaganda says. Why they don't use it on rally and offroad cars? ;-) Any AWD system offroad is useless, that's why hundred years ago 4WD was invented and still used in all real offroad cars/trucks.

Electronic magic is for wet roads of German Autobahns - perhaps you never tested anything in real conditions. Come to Czech Republic - my friend does offroad trial with Jeep and Subaru. I guarantee you will learn something

The only thing that is rubbish is your post!

I'd say Land Rover know a little more about 4x4 systems than most.

Your super Subaru would be equally rubbish if fitted with the same tyres as the OP's car.

Oh by the way the Haldex 4WD system is currently used in the following vehicle models

• Saab Automobile[15]
    • Saab 9-3 Turbo X (2007-2008) (Haldex Fourth Gen with eLSD)
    • Saab 9-3 Aero XWD (2008-2010) (Haldex Fourth Gen with eLSD)
    • Saab 9-3 XWD 2.0T (2009), Turbo4 (2011) (Haldex Fourth Gen without eLSD)
    • Saab 9-3 9-3X (2010) (Haldex Fourth Gen with eLSD)
    • Saab 9-5 Turbo6 (2011) (Haldex Fourth Gen without eLSD)
    • Saab 9-5 Aero (2010) (Haldex Fourth Gen with eLSD)
    • Saab 9-4X XWD (Haldex Fourth Gen with eLSD)

The same Haldex system is also in the Jeep Patriot and Jeep Compass paired with a 2.0L 16 valve VW BKD engine AND it can be locked :)

Edited by milspectees
  • Like 1

Subarus subarus subarus, If they are that good why havnt  or dont the fast response ambulance service use them instead of the scout? I will tell you why its because they wouldnt take the punishment like the scout,  Having direct contact with the fast response teams i get first hand feedback from them (As we carry out all the repairs on them) and they have had fords vauxhalls and even vovlo and they ALL (yes you read it right "ALL") say the scout is by far the best! And that is from the horses mouth not some read about bull muck... 

I think you'll find the reason is the price

I've done a lot of off road driving and competitions over the years, the secret to not getting stuck is reading the road, ground clearance & traction. 

Traction is achieved by driving style, tyres & drive train.

If you want true 4 wheel drive you need diff locks, the secret is knowing when to use them and which one to use!

I've driven haldex cars and don't particularly like them, I've driven Torsen cars and I much prefer the very linear torque transfer.  For ultimate control for me its got to be 3 manual diff locks .

Ultimately in the snow get some proper, decent tyres and don't drive like a knob, you'll be much better off.

• Like 3

Cards on table - only prior 4x4 experience I've had is the fleet of Landy 110 Defenders c/o my previous employer, and the off-road course that went with them.

As far as the Octy 4x4 is concerned, which is a Scout albeit with smaller wheels/tyres and no tupperware fore and aft, I've never had any issue.

Winter tyres, (Nokian WR D3 at present), and a bit of sensible driving on ice and snow (ESP switched off if required going uphill on snow) and it is fine for my needs - which is all metalled road/farm track-based use.

If I needed one, I'd buy a Landrover, as I don't, the Octy is just fine for my needs. Horses for courses.

PS When it reaches its 8th birthday I intend to replace like-for-like. 'Nuff said....

• 2 months later...

Thanks for all the posts as you say , well most of you, it is all in the rubber. Therefore I will have to think of getting a winter set of alloys and tyres. It was just disappointing when it happened, but why the previous owner only had summer tyres on it, God knows?

They should have had all weather tyres on it.

We have another 4x4 which is a daihatsu terios and this has a electronic clutch that can only be switched on when stationery and has all weather continental tyres and boy it's a simple bit if kit that can go anywhere. We have a drive about 40 degrees in angle and have taken the daihatsu up it no problem, then couldn't stand up on drive, lol.

I looked at subaru legacy, but was concerned about fuel economy, so the electronic /mechanical solution was the best of both worlds to stop me getting stuck. Mechanical permanent 4 wheel drive is great, but losses in system = poor fuel economy, which is not what I wanted.

I would be interested to know what type of system the subaru forester uses, which is really a comparable vehicle to scout.

Edited by snig71

The manual forester has a mechanical LSD. The automatic has a multiplate clutch coupling out the back of the gearbox. However, it is always engaged too as the car sits with a 60/40 distribution. I know, because I have one.