Is it possible Columbus and Bolero

Just wondering...why do you want a big screen if you don't use it for navigation?

It's something I've been thinking about for a while actually... I would much prefer an old fashioned wide and low black and white display if I only used it for audio.

(However I'd love to be able to get a decent web browser on a big screen like on Teslas... For example if I want to find out the address and opening times of a shop I want to drive to. Or if I want to kill some time watching online videos while waiting for my wife on a parking lot. The possibilities would be endless.)

(However I'd love to be able to get a decent web browser on a big screen like on Teslas... For example if I want to find out the address and opening times of a shop I want to drive to. Or if I want to kill some time watching online videos while waiting for my wife on a parking lot. The possibilities would be endless.)

I'm an information security professional. I can tell you right off the bat, that enabling Internet access and a standard html Web browser in an ICE System is a very risky idea.

And seeing as VAG ICE systems are now becoming more and more closely interconnected with the Control Computer in the car itself, I can only see this becoming an even bigger problem.

Picture the scene...

You use Google voice search to look for cheap holiday tickets online via a future Columbus built in browser and Internet access.

The first result automatically loads a legit looking travel site.

However, unbeknown to the owner, the site has been hacked and is hosting a whole host of malicious code that invisibly injects itself into a visitor's browser each time someone visits the page.

Suddenly...

My rev counter maxes out while I'm tootling down the M6....

I can't do anything....

I'm already doing 80mph and my brakes fail to operate....

I decide trying to change down a gear or two and using the handbrake is my only option...

I do it...

I hear the screech of burning oil and rubber...

I begin to spin out of control...

Then smash....

It's all over....

....I think I will stick to keeping my car, my pc and smartphone separate for now.

Just wondering...why do you want a big screen if you don't use it for navigation?

It's something I've been thinking about for a while actually... I would much prefer an old fashioned wide and low black and white display if I only used it for audio.

(However I'd love to be able to get a decent web browser on a big screen like on Teslas... For example if I want to find out the address and opening times of a shop I want to drive to. Or if I want to kill some time watching online videos while waiting for my wife on a parking lot. The possibilities would be endless.)

it's sharper, I am now ordering RS model, but paying 1650€ for navigation is bit to much. For in example Qashqai navigation is 650€ ;)

I'm an information security professional. I can tell you right off the bat, that enabling Internet access and a standard html Web browser in an ICE System is a very risky idea.

And seeing as VAG ICE systems are now becoming more and more closely interconnected with the Control Computer in the car itself, I can only see this becoming an even bigger problem.

And yet Tesla seems to be doing so...and adding even more remote controlled functions...

Sure it has risks, but as far as I know Tesla has hired some very bright people to keep their systems safe. It might actually be a great job creating opportunity on the security field if other manufacturers followed suite.

And yet Tesla seems to be doing so...and adding even more remote controlled functions...

Sure it has risks, but as far as I know Tesla has hired some very bright people to keep their systems safe. It might actually be a great job creating opportunity on the security field if other manufacturers followed suite.

Yes Tesla see the potential to WOW consumers and make bank on the newest 'convergent' trend in the IOT space.

And yes...

They have some of the world's leading engineers and developers producing innovative and exciting new toys to go with their vehicles in the future.

I too feel the excitement of technojoy and want to have the coolest new and shiny things...

But believe me when I tell you that as a Systems Engineer with over 14 years experience I know how security comes much later as an add-on to technologies such as this.

The initial development emphasis is always on function and stability under the operating conditions that tesla (or whoever is the developer) forsee.

The problem comes from the unknown operating conditions produced when a potential hacker gains remote access to the system.

P.s. as an infosec professional I'm a certified ethical hacker also. And as such deal with topics such as this every day in my working life.

And yes...

They have some of the world's leading engineers and developers producing innovative and exciting new toys to go with their vehicles in the future.

That's not exactly who I meant though. I was referring to this. I would imagine it could be a great job opportunity to a person such as yourself.

Edited by kallekilponen

That's not exactly who I meant though. I was referring to this. I would imagine it could be a great job opportunity to a person such as yourself.

I see what you mean :D...

It looks like Tesla are one of the few vendors actually using a common sense strategy on this one..

I suppose my knee-jerk response comes from all the years of not being listened to. :D

Thanks for the tip about the article. I wasn't aware of this before.

Cheers.

• 4 weeks later...